Author Topic: A Children's Literature Question  (Read 4487 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
A Children's Literature Question
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
On a cruise last autumn that was well-populated by both residents of the UK and North America, one question flummoxed absolutely everyone.  We were given a list of names and asked to identify the group.  The correct answer was the 'Secret Seven' and no one from either side of the Atlantic had heard of that.

I've since learned that this was a popular series of books about a group of young mystery solvers that appeared in the 1940s and early 1950s.  I believe the author was Enid Bagnold. 

Does anyone here remember the books?

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Re: A Children's Literature Question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »
On a cruise last autumn that was well-populated by both residents of the UK and North America, one question flummoxed absolutely everyone.  We were given a list of names and asked to identify the group.  The correct answer was the 'Secret Seven' and no one from either side of the Atlantic had heard of that.

I've since learned that this was a popular series of books about a group of young mystery solvers that appeared in the 1940s and early 1950s.  I believe the author was Enid Bagnold. 

Does anyone here remember the books?

The Secret Seven books were by Enid Blyton. Blyton also wrote the Famous Five and lots of other similar type series. I read them all.

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 11:11:48 AM »
it is by Enid Blyton, I love her!!  Famous Five is also good  :D

ETA:  I'm surprised no one in the UK recognized it - I haven't seen much of her here, but my mom grew up in India so her childhood authors were mostly British and she passed it on to me.

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:18:24 AM »
Yes I remember reading these! And the famous five! Was that where Timmy the dog was from? It's unusual that the names couldn't be identified by British people on the cruise because they used to be such popular books but to be fair, if you've read them a long time ago, you probably can't recognise the names. I barely remember the names!. The famous five and the secret seven were popular a years before me and I think a lot of the adult generation read them as kids too maybe. Equally as exciting for me, I grew up in the midst of the 'goosebumps books craze'.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »
Thank you all for your responses.  Also,  thank you for identifying the author. 

It's good to k ow that these things are remembered.  Now, I need to go looking for the books.

NyaChan

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »
you can find them online for sure, if you are deciding between new books or used books keep in mind that the new books have been made more PC to reflect changing times.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:53:02 AM »
Thank you, NyaChan.

I have checked out Bookfinder.com and have found many possibilities at reasonable prices. 

princessdolly

• The core of all life is a limitless chest of tales
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »
I know of them but they are a wee bit before my time (dodges cushion thrown by mother). My mum insists that the Famous Five are better. Apparently there was a huge divide in her group of schoolfriends over this.  ::)

NyaChan

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:11:39 PM »
I also loved her Mallory Towers series

Anniissa

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 12:13:47 PM »
I used to love Enid Blyton - I think I read all the Famous Five, Secret Seven and Five Find-outers series (as well as all the Faraway Tree and St Clares/Mallory Towers ones). Great children's reading - although probably somewhat outdated now no doubt as they were pretty old fashioned in places when I was reading them (some of the children's names were unintentionally amusing  :) ). Still I loved them and read them (numerous times).

Having said that, I can still recall the names of the Famous Five (Julian, D!ck, Anne, George and Timmy the Dog) but off the top of my head I really struggle with the Secret Seven (I think one was Pam but otherwise I'm drawing a blank). If they were written down altogether then I may have been able to put it together but maybe not.

ClaireC79

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
Peter, Janet, Pam, Barbara, Colin, George & Jack and their dog was Scamper (and Jack's annoying sister Susie who wanted to be part of them)

I prefered FF myself but my daughter (now 11) preferred SS - they were slightly younger aimed IMHO

pwy a wyr

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »
I enjoyed those books when i was a child. I remember Janet because I used to find ehr annoying. I couldn't tell you why anymore! I liked Famous Five first, before graduating onto the boarding school books. I remember asking my mum if I could go to boarding school when I was seven, so it was a far while ago now. Her answer was a very diplomatic, "maybe when you're older. I'd miss you too much if you went now."  :D

Anniissa

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 08:26:40 AM »
Peter, Janet, Pam, Barbara, Colin, George & Jack [...]

Hmm well if I just saw this list of names and was asked to guess what group they belonged to, I'm pretty sure the Secret Seven wouldn't have been the first thing I thought of but I might have got round to it eventually. I guess a lot of people would not recognise the names out of context.

Greyalien

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »
I used to love these books as a kid. Although now I have the theme song from the TV series the Famous Five running around in my head:
We are the Famous Five,
Julian, wingadingdingy and Anne, George and Timmy the dog,
We are the Famous Five,
We're coming back to you,
When ever there's time,
Time after time.

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »
Enid Blyton was my favourite author as a kid (in the late 70s early 80s).  My favourites were The Enchanted Wood series and The Wishing Chair.  I liked the Famous Five but never really got in to the Secet Seven.

I've just finished reading my daughter The Magic Faraway Tree.  She loved it just as much as I did.  Some of the phrasing is old-fashioned but it gives us talking points. She'll probably find the kids names funny when she's older but doesn't know the other meanings yet.