Author Topic: Etiquette on posting spoilers on Facebook?  (Read 7681 times)

Mr Hero

Etiquette on posting spoilers on Facebook?
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »
My sister had posted on her Facebook wall how she was glad to finally see a certain contestant leave on Survivor.  The post was made just two hours after the episode ended in our region.  Because of my schedule and TV not getting CBS for some reason, I was unable to see it.  I usually wait for shows to go online.  Is there some sort of statute of limitations on spoilers?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Etiquette on posting spoilers on Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »
My sister had posted on her Facebook wall how she was glad to finally see a certain contestant leave on Survivor.  The post was made just two hours after the episode ended in our region.  Because of my schedule and TV not getting CBS for some reason, I was unable to see it.  I usually wait for shows to go online.  Is there some sort of statute of limitations on spoilers?

For the entire Internet? No. Some people don't care if they spoil a show, or assume everyone has seen it, or something else. Some fansites have rules, but Facebook certainly doesn't.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:18 PM »
I think it is polite and considerate to indicate an upcoming spoiler.

Mr Hero

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »
Unfortunately, she did not include a spoiler tag and her reasoning was that since it's been aired on the West Coast, it's now fair game.  I disagreed saying that in this day and age, we're not tied to our TV's if we want to watch a certain show.  We have the luxury of watching online according to our own schedules.

sweetonsno

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »
College Humor covered this recently! Here's a link to a text version of the rules along with the original video: http://www.scpr.org/blogs/newmedia/2012/03/13/5073/stars-those-shows-youve-been-meaning-watch-lay-dow/

Yes, this is mostly intended as comedy, but I think the rules are reasonable. Maybe share this with your sister?

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:44:20 PM »
I think when something has been broadcast on TV, it's not rude or inconsiderate for them to post about it on Facebook.

The wise thing to do if you're a time zone behind or record the show and plan on watching it the next day or later, and it involves a popular show that lots of people will have opinions about, don't check Facebook until you've seen the show as it is likely someone will post about it on their wall.

For example, if it was a football match or an elimination episode of the Xfactor or the apprentice or another popular show or program that lots of people would be watching, a flurry of people will be posting on Facebook about it. The minute the show or match is over, online newspapers start writing about it, online news starts writing about it. Once it's been shown on TV, its fair game to talk about.

The only way it would not be ok is if someone spoiled a show or movie that hadn't been released at the cinema or on TV yet.

Granted in the UK we don't have differing regional time zones across the country but if you do, I think the best thing would be to not check Facebook for a couple of hours until you've caught up with the show. Popular shows will probably be talked about by a lot of people.

Cosmasia

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:14:39 AM »
I think as long as the episode has been aired on TV it's fair game and I say this as someone who loves to watch shows from other countries than my own - as such if I want to watch a show from a country to the west, it's already been aired and people are already talking about it.

I think it's definitely nice to write "Spoiler!" before making one, but it's also hard to know where to draw the line. After one day? A week? A month? Until it's online - and what if you don't care too update yourself on that?

So in terms of niceness I think saying "Spoiler!" is great, and it's up to each person to decide when they just aren't gonna use that anymore before saying something.
But in terms of etiquette I personally think that as long as it has aired, it's fair game to talk about openly. :)
Da hun kom tilbage, havde hun hundrede ting at fortælle.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 01:54:05 AM »
I have a friend that does it for a show that I have to DVR because I work during it. If I see that she is posted about it, I just skim past her posts so I don't get spoiled. If I want to know ahead of time, then I read it. 

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 03:20:41 AM »
Also, what about things like the World Cup or The Superbowl or the American Idol final? Pretty much after they're aired 50% of your Facebook friends would be posting something or other about it. Someone who wanted to record the Superbowl to watch later I don't think could really be reasonable in expecting others not to write on their Facebook about the outcome of the game or to write a spoiler disclaimer on there. Sports games and popular reality TV shows (especially weekend prime time ones) would be watched by a high frequency of your Facebook friends. When something is aired on TV, the majority of the viewing population would watch it on TV there and then so Facebook posters are going to assume people have watched it when they write about it. Unfortunately as America is large, you guys have time zones but if you fall into the later time zone and want to watch something later that generates lots of interest amongst viewers but are dying not to have it spoilt for you, just don't check Facebook until you've watched it.

Like the UK Apprentice is on here on Wednesday night. Sometimes I can't watch it then so record it to watch on Thursday evening. There's a (terrible) online newspaper that I read every day and on the right hand column it reports on last nights TV news. If I've missed the apprentice I simply just place my hand over the right hand column when I open the page so I don't spoil it for myself. Likewise, if I miss a big football match and want to watch the highlights later, I won't read any newspapers, I avoid the sports news on the hour and sometimes even turn my phone off if its the kind of match I would get a flurry of text messages about from my friends regarding the result.

When something's aired at the normal time on TV, especially reality TV shows, I think people can talk about it freely and I don't think they need to put a disclaimer on there. People don't really tend to spoil dramas or TV series on their Facebook accounts because its not the same as a current event program like a sports game or reality TV show where the majority of the population will be watching it right then and following it weekly.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:22:48 AM by Tilt Fairy »

Kitty Hawk

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »
THere are also many people who don't have a problem with posting results.

May I not post "hooray, so and so won" because someone out there might not yet know?

Whose rights are more important?

starbuck

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »
Someone did this to me recently with the 2nd to last episode of The Walking Dead and I was grrrrrr. While there's no rule, obviously, I tend to try and wait at least 24 hours before posting anything about what happened on the last episode of XYZ, myself.

JillyJ

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:11:30 AM »
I don't think it's rude, but I don't do it - which isn't to say I can't post about my shows, etc.  I just use a more cryptic method.  Examples:

Can't believe who won DWTS - what a shocker!

Hated tonight's episode of Grey's Anatomy.  Anyone else think that ending was totally bogus?

I do it even when I watch things days late, as just about no one I know watches "live" TV anymore, so I never know who in my circle is caught up on which shows.  My cryptic comments are enough to generate the discussion I want, and for people who haven't seen it yet, they know enough not to delve into the comments.  But this way they don't accidently see the spoiler (at least not from me) when they go through their newsfeed.

I think one time sporting events/championships are different, and maybe even the finale of a competition (DWTS for example - even though I still wouldn't spoil it).  And I think if you need to watch something like that on delay and you don't want to know the results, the onus is on you to not go on FB until you've watched, cause likely the whole world is talking.

This also holds true about freak weather. If you don't want it spoiled that there's a blizzard coming in May, you should avoid FB.  LOL

Oh Joy

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
THere are also many people who don't have a problem with posting results.

May I not post "hooray, so and so won" because someone out there might not yet know?

Whose rights are more important?

I believe there's a significant difference between rights and etiquette.  I have every right to sail through doors without holding them for anyone, but it's not necessarily considerate.  You certainly have the right to post about your shows, but the timing and content may not necessarily considerate.

There have been a few threads on this topic as it relates to announcing a death on social media before the rest of the immediate family can be contacted.

And welcome to the forum, Mr. Hero!

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 06:26:33 PM »
I think it,s common curtesy (or should be, anyway) to wait and not post a spoiler until the show has been aired everywhere in the country in which you reside. So for people on the East Coast - wait the few hours until it has been aired on the West Coast.

Those who record it to watch later are on their own I think - they run a risk doing so.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »
Honestly, I think it is unreasonable to expect people to wait until you have a chance to watch it online.  It would be nice if everybody on facebook would work around your personal schedule.  It is nowhere near rude for them not to.