Author Topic: Etiquette on posting spoilers on Facebook?  (Read 8160 times)

O'Dell

Re: Etiquette on posting spoilers on Facebook?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »
I don't think it's rude, but I don't do it - which isn't to say I can't post about my shows, etc.  I just use a more cryptic method.  Examples:

Can't believe who won DWTS - what a shocker!

Hated tonight's episode of Grey's Anatomy.  Anyone else think that ending was totally bogus?

I do it even when I watch things days late, as just about no one I know watches "live" TV anymore, so I never know who in my circle is caught up on which shows.  My cryptic comments are enough to generate the discussion I want, and for people who haven't seen it yet, they know enough not to delve into the comments.  But this way they don't accidently see the spoiler (at least not from me) when they go through their newsfeed.

My preference is for this type of comment. I don't want to spoil it for someone and it's easy enough to make a "cryptic" comment and avoid it. It's a better option to get discussion going anyway, if that's the aim.

Sure people can justify posting a spoiler, but does that mean they should? Does a person want to be the one with annoyed friends because they ruin the surprise? Or do they want to be the person that is appreciated for *not* doing that sort of thing?

Disclaimer: It's pretty much all theoretical to me. I don't make announcements about TV shows or other spoilable media/games and I don't care if I happen across one. Probably as a result of that, I don't have many friends posting them either.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »
Anyone recall the episode of How I Met Your Mother when the gang tired to watch the SuperBowl after it was recorded, because they could not see it in real time for a funeral?
One guy made a Sensory Deprivation mask, and the newscaster went la la la la during the sportscast, desperately trying not to hear which team won.
Ultimately, they determined that the joy of the show, and sharing it with friends, was better than knowing a spoiler.
Me-
I read the last chapter of a book to see if it is any good.  Yes, even murder mysteries.  I did not start Harry Potter until after book 7 came out.  I still read.  I still enjoy. 
For TV, I like the anticipation of when/how a known event will unfold, the editing, the reactions.

maybe I am weird.  But spoilers do not bother me. 

by the way, Soylent Green is people!!!
Snape is not evil!
The butler did it.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2012, 09:36:57 AM »
I don't pay much attention to FB, but does it have a mechanism to hide spoilers the way IMDB does?  If it does, why don't more people use it?   If not it should.

CluelessBride

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »
I have a random follow up question to this thread:

What about shows that haven't been aired, but are already available free online?  Hulu has been showing a lot of pilot episodes a few weeks prior to the broadcast premier.  Hulu is free (or at least these episodes are available to people who don't subscribe to the paid version), and anyone with facebook presumably has internet and therefore the theoretical ability to watch.  Is it okay to post about these episode on facebook before their actual television premier?  How long after they are posted should you wait for people to watch them?

I tend to think for any major spoilers (unlikely in a pilot episode?), you should wait until after the pilot airs on tv.  But for little things, discussion is okay.  And I assume what the networks want to happen?

This is really more of a hypothetical, I'm not really an active facebook poster, and I don't think I've ever posted about a television show at all.  But just wondering what other people thought.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 11:26:18 AM »
I don't pay much attention to FB, but does it have a mechanism to hide spoilers the way IMDB does?  If it does, why don't more people use it?   If not it should.

No, it doesn't.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »

What about shows that haven't been aired, but are already available free online?  Hulu has been showing a lot of pilot episodes a few weeks prior to the broadcast premier.  Hulu is free (or at least these episodes are available to people who don't subscribe to the paid version), and anyone with facebook presumably has internet and therefore the theoretical ability to watch. 

I would say that if you watch something in advance of its official release, you keep mum - so the same for reviewer's screenings, or advance reader's copies of books.  I think the percent of people who are actively watching things on Hulu rather than the TV screen is fairly small - a little like waiting in line for the opening night showing of a movie vs going in the first week or two.

And keep in mind, Facebook is available internationally, while Hulu is *only* available in the US, so the pool of users is actually very different.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 09:40:34 PM »

No, it doesn't.

I think the primary purpose for IMDB is different from that of facebook.  I don't really see the two as comperable.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 10:25:21 PM »
That was not the point of the question.

I don't happen to be a Facebook addict; I use it only under duress.  But many people are on it all the time.  In which case they will need to avoid being so or turn off the feeds of people they know who are prone to posting spoilers.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 10:45:50 PM »
   I think once it has aired it's not really  a spoiler. 

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »
I don't really have a dog in this fight, since most of the people I know either don't watch the same shows as me or don't post spoilers. But  I do know that in one-on-one conversations* I've occasionally had to say "Don't tell me! I haven't seen that episode yet!"

But I do think that as more and more people use Hulu or DVR or whatever technology, watching a TV show isn't going to be something that happens for everyone at the same time, and the "rules" for TV spoilers are going to be more akin to the rules for movies or books (i.e. waiting a while before posting spoilers and/or giving a warning beforehand).

The exception to that, for me, would be anything where the details are generally given on news programs/newspapers/radio news the day after or later the day of the event, like sporting events and high-profile reality shows (e.g. American Idol). I mean, if all the news outlets are going to be talking about it, I figure it's okay for me to talk about it as well.

*in larger groups, I would excuse myself to avoid hearing

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
I don't really have a dog in this fight, since most of the people I know either don't watch the same shows as me or don't post spoilers. But  I do know that in one-on-one conversations* I've occasionally had to say "Don't tell me! I haven't seen that episode yet!"

But I do think that as more and more people use Hulu or DVR or whatever technology, watching a TV show isn't going to be something that happens for everyone at the same time, and the "rules" for TV spoilers are going to be more akin to the rules for movies or books (i.e. waiting a while before posting spoilers and/or giving a warning beforehand).

The exception to that, for me, would be anything where the details are generally given on news programs/newspapers/radio news the day after or later the day of the event, like sporting events and high-profile reality shows (e.g. American Idol). I mean, if all the news outlets are going to be talking about it, I figure it's okay for me to talk about it as well.

*in larger groups, I would excuse myself to avoid hearing

Yep. This. There is a massive difference between people posting a spoiler for what happens at the end of a new film out at the cinema or what happened at the ending in the final episode of Dexter compared to who was evicted from the apprentice, or the amazing race or celebrity love island or the injustice of the disallowed goal in the Real Madrid v Barcelona Champions League final.

No-one really ever spoils the first type unless they are horrible people. Everybody knows its an explicit spoiler so doesn't mention it because it's part of a story. People are normally reasonable and don't spoil stories for people. The newspapers won't report on such stories because it is unlikely they will have been able to have been accessed by the gross majority of the countries population at approximately the same time. When you go to watch a film at the cinema or read a new book, 99% of the rest of the population will not be doing the same as you are.

In the latter types of events, newspapers will report on the outcome furiously almost immediately. The x-factor final or FA cup final on at primetime at a weekend will be most likely be watched by the majority of people at that immediate time because it is a sporting event or reality TV show. It is not a story, it is an event. Like how the Royal Wedding was watched on TV by a large proportion of the UK public at the same time. Talking about 'spoilers' for events such as these on Facebook just brings everyone together and they can have a shared sense of belonging and community spirit by all watching the same thing at the same time and going through the same emotions. Someone who wanted to record the Royal Wedding to watch later that evening would be totally unreasonable in expecting people not post 'spoilers' by gushing over Facebook on 'how beautiful Kate's lace dress was'. That would be silly.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
Snape is not evil!

I would argue that he is.:)

Anyway, my personal rules are 24 hours for tv and 1 month for movies/books. However, for the rest of the world, the onus is on me to avoid the spoilers.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »
I think the responsibility lies with the person.  If you truly don't want to know a spoiler for a famous show, then stay away from FB. 

Once a show airs, it's fair game.  For movies, however, people should clearly state "spoiler alerts."