Etiquette School is in session! > "Have you tried the bean dip?"

When the "God Squad" won't take no for an answer. (Minor Update - Post 51)

<< < (2/16) > >>

Shoo:
"Look, I like you and I enjoy having your daughter in my troop. But I'm starting to feel really uncomfortable with the way you are pushing your religion on me.  When I say I am not interested, I really mean it.  So I need you to stop talking to me about it.  Thanks!"

MrTango:
The next time she says "No Pressure," reply with something along the lines of "'No Pressure'?  Every time you bring it up, you say 'no pressure' when you are, in fact, pressuring me to join your church.  I will not be joining your church now or at any time in the future.  Please do not mention it again."

magiccat26:

--- Quote from: Reason on March 23, 2012, 11:40:16 AM ---Counter invite them to worship the purple elephant three headed dragon god with you in the woods in a private ceremony at 3:00am?

--- End quote ---

Don't tempt me.  My DH was laughing one night when she had come to our home for a cookie meeting and was staring wide eyed at my decor.  Just to explain, my DH and I own a lot of high quality fantasy art prints.  These prints are beautifully framed and on every wall of our "public rooms".  The subject matter is mostly dragons, elves, and other mystical creatures.  While tasteful, some of the elven maidens are rather scantily clad.  ;). There is not a cross, angel (unless you count winged elves), or piece of scripture in sight.  My bookshelves are overflowing with fantasy and urban supernatural stories.  I imagine it was quite a shock for her because my DH and I seem so "normal". :)

My Co-Leader is a friend and neighbor...I know it really disturbs her that DH and I are so casual about religion.  She has been trying for 4 years to get me to church because she honestly believes that our souls are in jeopardy. I think it frustrates her because most people like her and listen to her and end up doing what she wants (she can be very persuasive)....but she has failed to "save" me.  So now she has recruited reinforcements.

It's frustrating for me because I'm very happy where we live.  I love the town and the people...I just wish they would respect my wishes one this one topic.  I've tried to explain to my coleader my own philosophy, but she honestly believes that there is only one path and everyone else, regardless of how "good" they are, will be sent to a very hot place if they fail to worship this specific way.

As I said, her heart is in the right place.  She's trying to make sure she "sees me in the afterlife.". I really do fear that she and the pastor's wife are not going to give up.  I really don't want to deal with this for the rest of our lives.

NyaChan:

--- Quote from: Shoo on March 23, 2012, 11:43:31 AM ---"Look, I like you and I enjoy having your daughter in my troop. But I'm starting to feel really uncomfortable with the way you are pushing your religion on me.  When I say I am not interested, I really mean it.  So I need you to stop talking to me about it.  Thanks!"

--- End quote ---

I like this.  I might also suggest going to their church to meet with the pastor and explaining to him what is happening and how it is affecting you.  This is a bit beyond just a social interaction in my opinion.  It is an attempt to proselytize and is inappropriate in the context within which they know you.  The fact that this woman was "recruited" to help bring you in is too much. 

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: MrTango on March 23, 2012, 01:26:49 PM ---The next time she says "No Pressure," reply with something along the lines of "'No Pressure'?  Every time you bring it up, you say 'no pressure' when you are, in fact, pressuring me to join your church.  I will not be joining your church now or at any time in the future.  Please do not mention it again."

--- End quote ---

I like this.  Short, simple, and right to the point.  No room for misinterpretation. 

If even that doesn't work, then I'd start walking away every time she brings it up, or pointedly move on to another person in the room (if one is available).  If she persists even after this, I'd say very firmly, "You know, we've discussed this before.  I've told you how I feel.  So please just stop it!"

People like this really do believe it is their mission in life to 'save' everyone else.  It's pretty hard to beat that down because their feelings about it are really all consuming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version