Author Topic: Anthem Faux Pas - athlete shows her class  (Read 12763 times)

Precarious Armada

• This sig is witty, memorable, and eminently quotable
  • Off in my own little world...
Anthem Faux Pas - athlete shows her class
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:25:40 AM »
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/thats-not-our-anthem-borat-song-played-by-mistake-at-medal-ceremony-20120324-1vqh2.html

Now that is grace under fire. Not surprising, perhaps, given that Ms Dmitrienko won a gold medal in a shooting competition, where it's important to stay calm under pressure.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Anthem Faux Pas - athlete shows her class
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »
 :o How awful for that athlete! And what a classy response.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:06:17 AM »
I can't imagine having something like that played at what's supposed to be such a proud moment for me and my country! Wow. What grace.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:18:51 AM »
Yikes! When I clicked the link, I was thinking it was going to just be something like a lyrics flub or a sour note blown out of proportion...but GAH, that's awful! Good for her.

Kitty Hawk

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »
This happens more often than you might think.  When Alberto Contador won the Tour de France -- pro cycling's most important race -- in 2009 they played the wrong anthem.  And when he won the Giro d'Italia in 2011, they too played the wrong anthem.

He reacted as a gentleman.

NyaChan

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »
That poor woman.  Ok, I now have no excuse, NONE, for not keeping a straight face when things go wrong in moot court practice.  I was going to post on it, but after seeing this, I have new-found self control! 

Shopaholic

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »
This happens more often than you might think.  When Alberto Contador won the Tour de France -- pro cycling's most important race -- in 2009 they played the wrong anthem.  And when he won the Giro d'Italia in 2011, they too played the wrong anthem.

O/T but he was just stripped of the TdF 2010 and the Giro 2011 titles due to doping, so not so much of a gentleman in my book...
/end O/T

The Kazach athlete's response is very admirable.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »

This wasn't just the wrong anthem, though. This was an offensive joke of an anthem insulting her home country. I don't know how well I would've reacted.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 10:21:29 PM »

This wasn't just the wrong anthem, though. This was an offensive joke of an anthem insulting her home country. I don't know how well I would've reacted.

Exactly. I probably would've cried if I were in her shoes.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

kglory

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »

Yes - despicable.  The newspaper article post the lyrics from that fake song....I can't even post them here because they are too X-rated and disgusting! 

That poor woman, this was supposed to be her moment of honor as an athlete.

Kitty Hawk

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 02:46:19 AM »

O/T but he was just stripped of the TdF 2010 and the Giro 2011 titles due to doping, so not so much of a gentleman in my book...
/end O/T

So that makes it ok for others to insult him by playing the wrong anthem?  I don't think so.

REgardless of what you think of Contador, the point is that this happens relatively often.  congratulations to this athlete who is mentioned in the OP, but she is only one of many.

Shopaholic

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:49:40 AM »

/end O/T

So that makes it ok for others to insult him by playing the wrong anthem?  I don't think so.

REgardless of what you think of Contador, the point is that this happens relatively often.  congratulations to this athlete who is mentioned in the OP, but she is only one of many.

No, I never said that.
I just said I don't consider him a gentleman.

Kitty Hawk

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 05:01:24 AM »
Then we will have to disagree on this one.  Bad behaviour in one aspect of a person's life does not mean that they do not know how to behave in other aspects.

In this particular thread, the discussion is of the appropriate behaviour of an athlete when a false national anthem is played in their "honour".  Contador also displayed the appropriate behaviour.

Off-topic perhaps, but it is also open to debate as to whether he purposely doped or not.  Even the Court of Arbitration for Sport left that question opened.  And yes, I am extremely familiar with this situation.

Shopaholic

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 05:26:45 AM »
Then we will have to disagree on this one.  Bad behaviour in one aspect of a person's life does not mean that they do not know how to behave in other aspects.

True, but for me a "gentleman" encompasses more than the appropriate behaviour under specific circumstances, it means all behaviour.
I agree that his behaviour in the anthem playing incident is proper and admirable. Cheating (in general) makes a farce of the sport, and is disrespectful to your fellow athletes.

We've taken this off-topic enough I think. I respect your opinions, and agree to disagree.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 11:30:58 AM »
This - seems more than an innocent mistake. It's either gross negligence, or someone (possibly after a heavy night drinking) thinking that such a move would be "SOOOOOOOOO funny, man!"

I hope the person in charge of the music is relieved of their duties as soon as possible.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."