Author Topic: Anthem Faux Pas - athlete shows her class  (Read 13193 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Anthem Faux Pas - athlete shows her class
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
This - seems more than an innocent mistake. It's either gross negligence, or someone (possibly after a heavy night drinking) thinking that such a move would be "SOOOOOOOOO funny, man!"

I hope the person in charge of the music is relieved of their duties as soon as possible.

Seconded.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »
I can't imagine how that mistake was made.

While I admire her composure, I would never have pretended everything was fine while my country was being insulted. Not that I would throw a fit or anything, but, instead of keeping hand over heart, I would have crossed my arms and a very stern expression. Just enough to get people wondering what the heck was wrong and, possibly, an apology and a correction at the time.

faithlessone

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »
I read on the BBC site that apparently "organisers had downloaded the parody from the internet by mistake".  (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17491344)

Not sure how that happened, or why organisers were downloading anthems off the internet (surely there's some sort of official database for that?), but it does seem to have been a genuine mistake.

I thought the athlete handled it wonderfully though. It really speaks to her character that she didn't throw a fit or storm out when it happened.

ETA:
While I admire her composure, I would never have pretended everything was fine while my country was being insulted. Not that I would throw a fit or anything, but, instead of keeping hand over heart, I would have crossed my arms and a very stern expression. Just enough to get people wondering what the heck was wrong and, possibly, an apology and a correction at the time.

It's quite obvious that something's wrong, though. She's blatantly uncomfortable and you can see her relief when it finishes. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people wondered what was happening.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:04:49 PM by faithlessone »

MrTango

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to just stand there.  I would have walked off the podium.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »
I read on the BBC site that apparently "organisers had downloaded the parody from the internet by mistake".  (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17491344)

Not sure how that happened, or why organisers were downloading anthems off the internet (surely there's some sort of official database for that?), but it does seem to have been a genuine mistake.

I don't see how, given the lyrics, someone didn't realize there was a mistake very early on and stop it. An awkward stop and silence while they worked on getting the right song would've been a vast improvement over listening to that dreck.

I maintain that this is a far worse event that those who simply had the wrong anthem played. Those are mistakes. Intentional or not, this was a slap in the face.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 08:02:15 PM »
I tend to agree.  Accidentally playing "God BLess America" instead of the National Anthem would be a mistake but not insulting.  Even the wrong county's anthem - assuming it wasn't a country you were at were with or that was diametrically opposed to your nation's political views.

This, on the other hand, was terribly insulting.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 12:22:08 AM »

Well, they could hardly admit that, "We gave the job of getting the anthems to a junior staffer who claims he just searched for "Kazakh anthem" and didn't have the faintest clue who Cohen was (nor anything about copyright, obviously), but was smirking like the cat that ate the canary during the presentation, until he saw us looking at him."

I'm sure that the organizers didn't set out to humilate this woman and offend a nation specifically. However, they were at best incredibly careless, and at worst allowed themselves to be punk'd by a staff member who thought this was hysterically funny.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »
She didn't act as though nothing was wrong.  She removed her hand and just stood silently while they played the song.  I am sure she thought removing her hand would signal to someone that something was wrong.  And given the lyrics I don't understand how they couldn't have known.  It almost seems like they did this on purpose.
93 93/93

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »
Well, the event was held in Kuwait, so there is the possibility that the organizers were not native English speakers, and didn't figure out the lyrics quickly enough to stop things.

If they relied on "downloading from the internet" (presumably without any consideration of whether the music was royalty-free), it doesn't speak highly of their professionalism. Even an "honest" mistake indicates that they were incredibly sloppy, as well as music pirates.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

BeagleMommy

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »
This is why I always tell DS to listen to anything he plans to download before doing so.  You never know if you might download a parody or even a different song with a similar sounding title.

Lauren

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 09:52:50 PM »
Well, they could hardly admit that, "We gave the job of getting the anthems to a junior staffer who claims he just searched for "Kazakh anthem" and didn't have the faintest clue who Cohen was (nor anything about copyright, obviously), but was smirking like the cat that ate the canary during the presentation, until he saw us looking at him."

If it was a 'lowly staffer' they might not have spoken English. From all descriptions the song was downloaded and not listened to.

I want to know why there isn't an MP3 of all official national anthems so sports bodies can avoid this very mistake.

I don't think there was anything malicious in this song being played I think it was a terrible, terrible mistake. I think the athlete behaved perfectly and much better than I could have in that situation. (tears would have been involved)

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 11:15:21 PM »
Well, the event was held in Kuwait, so there is the possibility that the organizers were not native English speakers, and didn't figure out the lyrics quickly enough to stop things.

If they relied on "downloading from the internet" (presumably without any consideration of whether the music was royalty-free), it doesn't speak highly of their professionalism. Even an "honest" mistake indicates that they were incredibly sloppy, as well as music pirates.

But one would think that the lyrics being in English would have been a big tip off as the official languages of Kazakhstan are Kazakh & Russian which I didn't know & found out in only 30 seconds of googling. Someone needs to have lost their job for this one IMHO.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 11:30:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to just stand there.  I would have walked off the podium.

I wouldn't have faulted her if she did, especially if she walked off, calmly explained what happened, and the returned to finish the ceremony once the parody was turned off. 

It's so hard to know what to do when a ceremony goes bad. Do you grin and bear it and feel like a fool, or intervene and throw a massive wrench into the proceedings.?

Yankeegal77

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »
What a tough spot to be in. I can't imagine why someone didn't turn the song off earlier.

In hindsight, there were many things that could have been done. But at the end of the day,  this is one classy woman and she deserves another medal in etiquette. :)

Calypso

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »
 She really is the epitome of grace under pressure.

As to "how could that happen"-----from the little I've had to do in the past with putting together TV productions, I have little doubt everything had to be done very quickly, with the song probably downloaded by a very young/inexperienced staffer with 9,000 other things to do before lunch, and certainly no one designated to listen to all the lyrics of all the anthems of all the possible winners before going live....