Author Topic: What's your favourite city in the whole world?  (Read 9748 times)

Tilt Fairy

What's your favourite city in the whole world?
« on: March 24, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »
After I finish University in June, I will have nothing to do (apart from job hunt). I recently got a little tax rebate and if I was sensible, I'd use it to pay off some credit card debt but as I'm not sensible, I'd love to use it to do a little exploring and see something new. When I go abroad, I'm more a fan of visiting just one city at a time and exploring it thoroughly - really emersing (is that a word?) myself in it and discovering what it has to offer. I just can't decide on where to go.

So I ask you ehellions... what's your favourite city in the whole world? If you had to recommend just one city to someone, what would it be? Can you tell me a bit about why you've fallen in love with that city so much. When giving any recommendations, pretend travel costs, language barriers, how expensive the place is etc... aren't issues. Pretend the person you are recommending it to is an able-bodied, multilingual millionaire who has unlimited time. I just want to hear your complete unadulterated opinion on what city you love the most.

I know it's really hard but try to pick just one!!!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:42:20 PM by Tilt Fairy »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: What's your favourite city in the whole world?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
It's a hard decision for me between Barcelona and Madrid.  Both are fantastic cities and both have wonderful things to recommend.  What I love most though is the Spanish people.  They are open hearted, loud, fun, and always willing to chat with a strange girl who is sitting by herself reading in a bar.  I have made so many friends in my travels to Spain just from going out and saying hi.

I love love love the country and I love love love those two cities

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:18:59 PM »
...and the Spanish men aren't exactly sore on the eyes either eh?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »
...and the Spanish men aren't exactly sore on the eyes either eh?

...or any other parts for that matter  >:D

demarco

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »
This is a hard one.  My favorite city in all the world to visit was New Orleans, for the food, the architecture, the music, the Mississippi, the history, the walkability and the surprises around every corner.  The thing is, I haven't been there for twelve years and i do not know what it is like now for a visitor.  Perhaps some other ehellions who have been there recently could comment. 

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
That's a tough one.

Venice - loved wandering around lost finding little side streets and bridges everywhere.  The gondola ride at sunset was fun.
Nice - wonderful food and a nice mix of old and new architecture. Great weather.  Also had the best cup of hot chocolate in my life here.
Munich - lots of interesting architecture and the Glockenspiel is cool.  We need to return to see the Science Museum.
Paris - what else can I say, it's Paris.
The days are long but the years are short.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »
Other than my city of birth and residence, the ones I most love are London, Madrid, and Sevilla.  All have excellent sights, museums, restaurants, architecture, and easy access to other cities with more of the same.

Ask me again after I've seen Rome and Athens, which are on my Bucket List.

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 08:30:38 PM »
Thank you so much for your responses so far! I love hearing people's travelling tales because I find them so whimsical and romantic! It's nice to see how everyone is different - some like mountains, some like beaches, some like wildlife, some like museums, good food, history, architecture, entertainment...Keep them coming ehellions!

I have been to Venice and Barcelona and Rome and I agree that they are beautiful cities. I thoroughly recommend them especially for the food (and men)! Living in England, I am lucky enough to have London only an hour away from me. And Paris! I am lost for words on how wonderful Paris is! Minus the business and forego the expense, Paris really does have eveything.

I have never been to New Orleans or Munich. I'll look into them further!

My personal favourite city (I know I am going against my own rule in picking only one) has to be either Tokyo or Mumbai. Tokyo is like living in a computer game, a science-fiction world. Everybody is well-groomed and polite to a fault and you won't find as much as a cigarette-butt of litter on the city streets. Everything is so advanced, the trains perfection, the people so friendly and the fashion so crazy! I was lucky to live in Tokyo a few years ago and it was wonderful. When you leave, it feels like you are going back to a victorian-standard of life! Mumbai is also just so much fun. It's a real party city! However, out of all the places I have ever visited, The Scottish towns (and highlands) are still the most beautiful. The sights and sounds of Edinburgh, Inverness, Fort William and St Andrews will make you forget everything.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:39:02 PM by Tilt Fairy »

Shopaholic

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 02:27:30 AM »
If you really want to immerse yourself in a city, I suggest London or Paris because they are so large and diverse you can spend a year exploring them.
The most fun I ever had in Europe was in Barcelona, it's also not far from Costa Brava, the Pyrenees and the French border so you can take short trips around the area.

As far as a city vibe goes, I loved Sydney. It just felt so cool and young, with lots of beaches and awesome fashion. Reminded me a lot of Tel Aviv (where I live), but better.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 05:17:00 AM »
London - I think it's the one place (outside Denmark) I've been most often. I just love the atmosphere.
Prague - a captial with a lovely "little-town" feel.
Copenhagen - I'm probably biased because I grew up here, but I do think it's beautiful.
New York - again with the atmosphere.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

123sandy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 05:41:19 AM »
Edinburgh, without a doubt.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »
Edinburgh is divine.
Paris is Paris
Venice is a great place to get lost
Rome is Rome
Sydney is really rather marvellous (around the harbour)

Victoria

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 08:04:36 AM »
This is a hard one.  My favorite city in all the world to visit was New Orleans, for the food, the architecture, the music, the Mississippi, the history, the walkability and the surprises around every corner.  The thing is, I haven't been there for twelve years and i do not know what it is like now for a visitor.  Perhaps some other ehellions who have been there recently could comment.

My sister and BIL visited recently and really enjoyed it.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 10:03:04 AM »
Well, I love NYC but I live there so that doesn't count. 

As a matter of fact, there's only one city I would NOT like to visit again.  That would be Caracas. 

In the US, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, San Francisco, Boston and San Diego are all great.

In Canada, Vancouver is a favorite, as is Toronto.

In Europe, every place I've been has been very enjoyable but Barcelona is a special favorite. 

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 03:36:42 AM »

I've never been outside of Australia but I would love to visit Cardiff.
Stewart/Colbert '16