Author Topic: What's your favourite city in the whole world?  (Read 9847 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: What's your favourite city in the whole world?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »
Prague, by far.

Rome would be second

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 08:40:15 PM »
My foreign country experience has so far been limited to airports and war zones, so this is an American list.

Key West, Florida - I love the Conch Republic! The whole town has this laid back, 50ish feel. Everyone is really cool, and it is oddly heartwarming to see rough veterans, drag queens, frat boys, and gruff bikers co-existing in harmony.

Las Vegas - Loud, bright, and busy... Stuff to do even if you aren't a gambler, and the surrounding landscape is brutal and beautiful. I like this city a lot.

Cozumel, Mexico - Beautiful beaches, crystal clear diving, and groovy bars... what more could a person ask for? Also some pretty cool ruins, and the seaward side of the island is really fun to go visit (just don't go swimming, the current is crazy strong)
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

moglwi

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 01:07:01 PM »
My fav city by far is Aberdeen Scotland
I love the North sea by the beach the Old town and the compactness the food is lovely and driving down the spey valley is great when you want to get out of the city.  I also enjoyed my time in Memphis Tennesse Beale st and the BBQ and the B17 amd the relif map of the missassipe on the islad

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »
When I was much younger I had a list of my top 5 cities. 

At the time, they were:

1. San Francisco
2. New York
3. London
4. Berlin
5. Seville

Surprisingly, my list hasn't changed much, but I've had to bump some old favorites.  Here's my current list:

1. San Francisco
2. London
3. Munich
4. Edinburgh
5. New York

I may have to bump another one since I just got back from Buenos Aires.  Maybe I'd better start working on a top 10.

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
I love a lot of cities but if I had to pick one it would be hands-down, Barcelona. 

Brussels is a close second with Amsterdam rounding out my top three.  Rome, Paris and London are also up there.

As far as non-overseas: 1) Montreal, 2) New Orleans, 3) Los Angeles

And then in no particular order: Chicago, New York, San Francisco and Washington D.C.

I hope to go to Buenos Aires one of these days soon.  It sounds like my kind of place. :)
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Nika

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
I haven't travelled enough yet  ;) so my favorite city may change, but right now I love York. I'm not even sure why that particular city sticks out so much for me, but I just felt so comfortable there! When my fiance and I visited, we independently came to the conclusion that we could very happily live there.
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 01:24:43 PM »
Kailua-Kona
New Orleans
Honolulu
St. Augustine
Toronto
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Clair Seulement

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 01:30:12 PM »
...and the Spanish men aren't exactly sore on the eyes either eh?

I was coming to this thread just to vote Barcelona! AND practically no one in Spain is sore on the eyes:) Also the *food*...

I was flabbergasted that hair conditioner was virtually impossible to find there, yet the women had the shiniest hair I've ever seen.

magicdomino

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »
Just one?  Dang.  It would be easier to name the cities that I'm just meh about (Lima and Beijing, in case you are wondering.)  If it is a long-term visit where I'm hanging around for more than a week or two, I'd say Prague.  While I was there, I even pondered Prague as a retirement destination.  Venice was great, but I understand it can be unpleasent during the summer.  London and New York are great for repeat visits; while I haven't been to Paris yet, I imagine it is the same way.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
...and the Spanish men aren't exactly sore on the eyes either eh?

I was coming to this thread just to vote Barcelona! AND practically no one in Spain is sore on the eyes:) Also the *food*...

I was flabbergasted that hair conditioner was virtually impossible to find there, yet the women had the shiniest hair I've ever seen.

I found the hair conditioner thing to be true in Italy also.  I ended up buying some post-perm deep-conditioning treatment.

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
I love love love love love Paris.

Toronto is most excellent.

Boston is fun to visit in the summer, but I would not want to live or work there again. You don't want to drive there. Trust me.

New Orleans is unique and fantastic, but beware: Nothing, and I mean nothing, smells quite like the French Quarter on a hot, sultry, Sunday morning. Go before May, when the sidewalks start to melt. When you do go, eat. Eat everything.

finecabernet

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 10:40:45 PM »
POD on Prague. Was only there for a few hours but it was one of the prettiest places I ever saw.

Salzberg in Austria. Absolutely breathtaking.

Galway in Ireland. Beautiful and fun.

Zermatt in Switzerland. The Materhorn is really something to behold.

Sorrento in Italy. Wow, just wow. Florence in Italy. Venice in Italy. Capri in Italy....!

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 02:57:57 AM »
It's hard to pick just one city.

I was born in New Orleans, and lived there til my 30's -- I love the city still.  I recommend a Jazz Fest weekend.  Jazz Fest is an incredible bargain.

Madrid and Melbourne are two of my favorites.  Both have lots to do and see, and the people are so warm and friendly.

If I were forced to pick just one city, though, it would have to be Rome.  There's just something about Rome that makes you love it.

takeheart

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 11:20:03 AM »
Oslo, Norway. DH and I went for our honeymoon, and we loved it. From the ease of navigating to the history to everyone being fashionable to the food, it was great. If we could, we would buy a small home on one of the islands :)

HOWEVER, if I had to live in one city, it would be Key West, FL. I love Florida, but the Keys are a world of their own. I love the warm weather, the smell of the salty ocean, seafood, walking/biking everywhere, the seasonal parties... It's just paradise for me.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 06:21:52 AM »
I think that i have many favorites cities. I havent' traveled all that much, but have yet to travel someplace where i felt "meh". yes, there are better and there are boring but i have always found it exciting to be someplace "else", to visit local museums, supermarkets, to go on local public transportation, eat a local delicacy, etc. and to me - it doesn't really matter if it's someone else's favorite or if people say "boring". a few years ago i had an opportunity to fly form the US to israel through Milan, and had a whole day in the city. people had said to me "milan? once you see the duomo and have a cup of coffee, that's the whole city." well, guess what - i had a great day. i took a train ride about 40 minutes outside the center of the city and explored an ancient walled city (i was lucky because I had someone that i knew from 100 years ago who lived there but still). and if i hadn't gone there, i would've found something else to do. I went once to bodrum, turkey, (with a group) and we spent one day on the island of Kos , even though the organizers said "it's boring". but again, guess what - it was beautiful, it was different, we had a great time.

so bottom line - the "favorite city" is what YOU make of it.

now, disregarding all that - I love NYC. there is really something for everyone. the city has a special vibe, it's trendy and lively and amazing. it has gazillions of museums, from the amazing metropolitan and MOMA to tiny obscure institutions. gourmet and expensive restaurants to cheap delish street food. Fancy fifth avenue boutiques (think that scene in Pretty Women "we don't have anything here for you") to 5$ I heart NY t shirts. music, amazing architecture, parks and waterways.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools