Author Topic: S/O Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt: From TV shows/films etc  (Read 3284 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
In the original thread, I was reminded of Red Dwarf. I love, love, LOVE that series! All of them!!! Anyway, the best brain-hurting convo (IMO) was between Lister and Holly, when Lister had just come out of stasis:

Lister: Where is everybody, Hol?
 Holly: They're dead, Dave.
 Lister: Who is?
 Holly: Everybody, Dave.
 Lister: What, Captain Hollister?
 Holly: Everybody's dead, Dave.
 Lister: What, Todhunter?
 Holly: Everybody's dead, Dave.
 Lister: What, Selby?
 Holly: They're all dead. Everybody's dead, Dave.
 Lister: Petersen isn't, is he?
 Holly: Everybody is dead, Dave.
 Lister: Not Chen?
 Holly: Gordon Bennett! Yes! Chen, everybody. Everybody's dead, Dave.
 Lister: Rimmer?
 Holly: He's dead, Dave. Everybody's dead. Everybody is dead, Dave!
 Lister: Wait. Are you trying to tell me everybody's dead?
 Holly: [Beat] I should've never let him out in the first place...

Classic lol!!

Anyone got any more??
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Amava

I love that series!

This is a good brain-hurter too, I can't type it out so I'll just link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLc5mvOGgxc (slow thinking on the Cat's part).

And of course, the ever brain-hurting Toaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec
Try to explain to a toaster that you don't want any bread products...  :o

On a different note, in the series "Blackadder", people often get their brains hurt by trying to hold a conversation with the gloriously dense Baldric.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unCswsfb46g

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Anything from Married...with Children

I have a low tolerance for that show, although individually I like the performers.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Because of rhe warm weather things are blooming early and the street trees are gorgeous. 

This was remarked on during a morning news program and a shot of a beautiful white tree was shown.  These are cally (not sure of the spelling) pears and are super common street trees.  It was asked if the tree was a magnolia.  A mind-numbing discussion among the news staff ensued.  Was it a magnolia?  Did magnolias even exist in NYC? 

Yes, they do!  We have one in our courtyard and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden is known for having bred a yellow variety. 

That's the problem with a slow news day.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
The X-Files used to drive me crazy. Whenever Mulder got close to "answers", he'd always drop the ball by not asking the right questions. Like in the episode where he meets his "sister" in a diner and she says the CSM is her father.

Does Mulder ask his name? No
Does Mulder ask where he lives? No.
Does Mulder ask anything at all of importance? Heck no!

I know the plot required Mulder to be a complete idiot, but honestly, if you set up your character to have "connections in Congress" and be an "Oxford-educated psychologist" - then have him act like it. Not like some random person they picked up off the street and gave a gun to.  :o

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Nora

Mulder was supposed to be a psychologist?! How did I not know that, I've watched SO MUCH x-files! Now I respect his dumb behind even less.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Mulder was supposed to be a psychologist?! How did I not know that, I've watched SO MUCH x-files! Now I respect his dumb behind even less.

Agreed! And now my brain hurts!  :P

My brain - hurty moment came from watching last week's Supernatural. SPOILERS for people who haven't seen.

How exactly can a freaking angel take on a human's mental illness? I'm not even sure that angels can experience hallucinations and psychosis, considering they probably don't have a body that works like ours (yes, technically, Castiel is using a [dead] human body, but he himself is not human). And, unless I'm misremembering, the reason Sam was hallucinating is because his soul was tortured for more than a year by Lucifer himself. So, basically Kripke and Co. is expecting me to swallow the idea that Castiel somehow took Sam's torture out of his soul and put it in his? I think my brain just permanently broke.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

KimChi

Any conversation Lori Grimes has with anyone on the Walking Dead.
In case of zombie apocalypse, keep calm and hide behind Daryl Dixon.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer

Agreed! And now my brain hurts!  :P

My brain - hurty moment came from watching last week's Supernatural. SPOILERS for people who haven't seen.

How exactly can a freaking angel take on a human's mental illness? I'm not even sure that angels can experience hallucinations and psychosis, considering they probably don't have a body that works like ours (yes, technically, Castiel is using a [dead] human body, but he himself is not human). And, unless I'm misremembering, the reason Sam was hallucinating is because his soul was tortured for more than a year by Lucifer himself. So, basically Kripke and Co. is expecting me to swallow the idea that Castiel somehow took Sam's torture out of his soul and put it in his? I think my brain just permanently broke.

Tess on Touched by an Angel developed Alzheimer's. I think it's a limitation of the human bodies they inhabit.

Years ago, there was a local news anchor whose attempt at Happy Talk with the sports guy went into brain-hurt territory. He asked if the Red Sox would ever play the Yankees in the World Series. He just didn't get that the World Series is played between an American League and a National League team, and the Sox and Yankees are both AL. You could *see* the poor sports guy's brain twitching!
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ

When the characters on shows refer to each other by their last names.
The Mentalist and Are you being served are famous for this.
You have worked together long enough, you should be over that by now.  Hurts my head all the time.
Stewart/Colbert '16

bigozzy

All of my favorite scifi/fantasy/supernatural type shows all show the main characters meeting brain sucking aliens or mutants or both on a regular basis yet every single time they seem to act surprised or disbelieving.

"Look a brain sucking alien mutant."

"Nahhhh, no such thing, lets invite it into the space ship for tea."

Makes my brain throb and I welcome brain sucking alien/mutants as a result.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
In the original 'Star Gate' movie, there was an attempt to carbon date a rock.  :o

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
In the original 'Star Gate' movie, there was an attempt to carbon date a rock.  :o

They did it on the TV show too, at least once, in "The Curse".

At least they're consistent.  :D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!

When the characters on shows refer to each other by their last names.
The Mentalist and Are you being served are famous for this.
You have worked together long enough, you should be over that by now.  Hurts my head all the time.

My best work friend and I do this. It's not that we haven't worked together long enough, it's that that's legitimately how we think of each other.
Utah

KimChi

There's a clip floating around from the show CSI (not sure which CSI) where they were trying to stop a hacker. The woman starts typing on her keyboard and another male character jumps into help her... typing on the same  keyboard. So, she's on one of it, he's on the other. Yeah, don't think it works that way.
In case of zombie apocalypse, keep calm and hide behind Daryl Dixon.