Author Topic: S/O Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt: From TV shows/films etc  (Read 3426 times)

Kaymyth

Mulder was supposed to be a psychologist?! How did I not know that, I've watched SO MUCH x-files! Now I respect his dumb behind even less.

Agreed! And now my brain hurts!  :P

My brain - hurty moment came from watching last week's Supernatural. SPOILERS for people who haven't seen.

How exactly can a freaking angel take on a human's mental illness? I'm not even sure that angels can experience hallucinations and psychosis, considering they probably don't have a body that works like ours (yes, technically, Castiel is using a [dead] human body, but he himself is not human). And, unless I'm misremembering, the reason Sam was hallucinating is because his soul was tortured for more than a year by Lucifer himself. So, basically Kripke and Co. is expecting me to swallow the idea that Castiel somehow took Sam's torture out of his soul and put it in his? I think my brain just permanently broke.

Assuming, of course, that it's actually a mental illness.  My suspicion is that a combination of trauma and a bond from Sam hosting Lucifer actually formed a mindlink between the two.  The wall wasn't just keeping Sam from remembering, it was keeping Lucy out of his consciousness.  The mindlink has simply now been shifted.

Nikko-chan

When the characters on shows refer to each other by their last names.
The Mentalist and Are you being served are famous for this.
You have worked together long enough, you should be over that by now.  Hurts my head all the time.

Oh you mean like on NCIS?  :D

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ

Don't watch NCIS. They do it there too do they?
 ;D
Stewart/Colbert '16

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)

You have worked together long enough, you should be over that by now.  Hurts my head all the time.

This is what I was thinking! Almost all the men go by their surnames on NCIS.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
I don't know, my brother and his friends refer to each other by last name.  :)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
I don't know, my brother and his friends refer to each other by last name.  :)

Are they athletes? I've noticed coaches refer to players by last name and so do other teammates.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Gwywnnydd

It is really, REALLY common in the military for people to be called by their last names only. I see a lot of the same thing among my friends in law enforcement.
Since the NCIS team is both military and law enforcement, I find it not at all surprising that they do so ;).

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Yes, my brother and his friends are athletes, although just for fun, nothing professional.  Funnily enough, my husband is military, but maybe because he's not in combat (he's an engineer) I think his friends mostly use first names.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Yeah I've seen that in the military (When DH was AD Marine).  There were times he'd throw me off and refer to someone by their first name and I'd say "Who's Joe??" "Oh you know, Smith!" How'm I supposed to know when you only ever refer to him as Smith?

As for brain hurts, this is one of my favorites: Dead Parrot sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIrBMt4eiRk

And it's not kid or work safe, but the scene with Sir Galahad in "Monty Python Holy Grail" is another brain hurt.  Actually I guess it could be said the whole movie is full of brain hurting conversations! LOL!!

A Witch! A witch! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g&feature=related

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4_9kDO3q0w&feature=related

Who me? A Python fan? Naaaah! ;)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Yeah I've seen that in the military (When DH was AD Marine).  There were times he'd throw me off and refer to someone by their first name and I'd say "Who's Joe??" "Oh you know, Smith!" How'm I supposed to know when you only ever refer to him as Smith?

As for brain hurts, this is one of my favorites: Dead Parrot sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIrBMt4eiRk

And it's not kid or work safe, but the scene with Sir Galahad in "Monty Python Holy Grail" is another brain hurt.  Actually I guess it could be said the whole movie is full of brain hurting conversations! LOL!!

A Witch! A witch! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g&feature=related

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4_9kDO3q0w&feature=related

Who me? A Python fan? Naaaah! ;)

Oh to me it is the Knights who say Ni thing. "Why are you saying 'ni' to that old lady?"

Once I've heard that I cannot, cannot, cannot stop saying it.  >:D
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
There's a clip floating around from the show CSI (not sure which CSI) where they were trying to stop a hacker. The woman starts typing on her keyboard and another male character jumps into help her... typing on the same  keyboard. So, she's on one of it, he's on the other. Yeah, don't think it works that way.

That was NCIS. Here you can watch it again: http://www.snotr.com/video/8096/NCIS__2_Idiots_1_Keyboard  :D

It was also mentioned in this Cracked article, which contains a number of doozies, http://www.cracked.com/article_19160_8-scenes-that-prove-hollywood-doesnt-get-technology.html

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!

This sort of thing doesn't bother me.  I put in 22 years of working with the military, and you hear a lot of last names.  Or, referring to someone merely by their rank, although military people wear name tags.  (However, I did encounter people with names that I couldn't pronounce, like the sergeant with a last name that was at least 25 letters long.  She said, "Call me Nickname.")

Giraffe, Esq

The last name thing isn't just military or sports, actually.  I think it's often just a guy thing.

My brother was LastName in high school, so I (a year behind) became "LastName's Sister" to a lot of the drama kids we hung out with, until I earned a nickname of my own (DeadBethy, from croaking on stage as Beth in Little Women).  Then our younger sister made it to high school, so she became "Little LastName" (which was amusing as she was taller than me).

Now I work with corporate attorneys.  We're all nerds.  About as far from a sports or military setting as you can get.  And they call each other by last names. 

I think part of it stems from the fact that there tends to be a smaller variety among the male names.  So we have several guys named "Joe" and it's just easier to refer to them as "Johnson" and "Smith" -- even though they're partners and basically our boss.

Whereas I am the only Giraffe they're likely to run into.  I do love having a relatively rare name.  :-)  But I'm still LastName and GLastName and GL about 50% of the time. 

ShanghaiJill

Because of rhe warm weather things are blooming early and the street trees are gorgeous. 

This was remarked on during a morning news program and a shot of a beautiful white tree was shown.  These are cally (not sure of the spelling) pears and are super common street trees.  It was asked if the tree was a magnolia.  A mind-numbing discussion among the news staff ensued.  Was it a magnolia?  Did magnolias even exist in NYC? 

Yes, they do!  We have one in our courtyard and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden is known for having bred a yellow variety. 

That's the problem with a slow news day.

Is that the tree which grows in Brooklyn that everyone talks about? 8)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Thanks for the quip.  :)

I wish it was because these trees are beautiful with gorgeous white flowers in the spring, lush dark green foliage in the summer and golden leaves in the autumn. 

As I understand it, the tree in the book is the alacanthus.  It isn't technically a tree at all.  It's a huge, woody weed that quickly takes over vacant lots.