Author Topic: What, if anything, will you do for St. Patrick's Day?  (Read 18747 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What, if anything, will you do for St. Patrick's Day?
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »
I'm 1/4 Irish, too, and they were from County Armagh.  And my favorite Irish song is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNoTnWC03w

Pinky830

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2012, 09:12:20 PM »
I worked an all day emergency shift Saturday and ran a half marathon Sunday.

Not much partying going on this weekend...

Oh well. I look Irish but I don't have one drop of Irish ancestry...my reddish hair comes from the German side...

JennJenn68

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2012, 07:01:43 AM »
I sat at home and watched TV while college students rioted and set a TV news van on fire (luckily no where near my place)

Okay, now I know where in Ontario you live.  About an hour and a half from me.  I was absolutely floored when I read about it.  (I don't watch TV, I don't get a paper on Sundays, and I don't tend to follow online news on the weekend, so I didn't hear about it until Monday.)  Is it my imagination, or are riots like this happening more often now than they used to do?

On Saturday evening, I stayed home.  I wasn't going anywhere near places where there would be crowds!  Besides, though my grandfather was Irish, I've never particularly identified with the culture.  I'm just an average Canadian.  That's cultural enough for me! ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:09 AM »
I'm 1/2 Irish.  One great-grandfather came over c.1900, and not sure about his wife, though I know she was Irish born too and her name was Bridget.  My paternal grandmother's grandparents came over sometime in the 1800's and met because they were servants in the same household.

And one of my gr.great uncles fought in the Irish brigade of the Civil War, a John Marksman.  Just found that out recently from a cousin who's really interested in studying that war.

Odd thing is I get mixed opinions as to how Irish I look. Some look at my auburn hair and (sometimes greenish eyes-technically they're hazel) and fair freckled skin that doesn't tan but burns and say "Oh you're definitely Irish!"  While others will say "Do you have any Italian in you? You look more Italian.  And I do actually have 1/4 Italian in me.  My maternal grandmother was the youngest of 5 and the first to be born in the states. The others were born in Sicily.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:35:14 AM by Piratelvr1121 »
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata