Author Topic: The Play Set It's up! Posts 9&10  (Read 11976 times)

ShanghaiJill

The Play Set It's up! Posts 9&10
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:22:33 PM »
I live in a multi family house.  The neighbor is crazy, crazy, crazy.   We're talking  Just Plain Nuts.

Last Saturday he accosted me and Shanghai Jack, all excited about one of those big wooden play sets.  Apparently he expects Shanghai Jack to supply part of the labor and all the tools.   If that weren't bad enough, he said it would be open to all the neighborhood kids.  I said "What about liability?" and he said "What's that?"

Plus there isn't a square inch of level land in our yard.  Plus I don't want all the neighborhood kids in the yard I pay to use.  Who wants strange kids in their yard?   At any rate, Shanghai Jack has an ankle injury for which he goes to physical therapy.   I know nothing of play sets, but Shanghai Jack informed me you need equipment which he does not possess.

Nutty Neighbor purchased this without asking if we wanted to help put it up.  He certainly did not consult the landlord.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:11:28 AM by ShanghaiJill »

Instantkarma

Re: The Play Set
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
im not sure what your question is but i would definetly call the landlord ASAP and tell him whats going on

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »
Do either you or crazy neighbour actually have children who could use this equipment, or is he just basically wanting to open a playground in your backyard?  In either event, I'd tell him you won't be able to assist, and definitely tell the landlord!

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
Do either you or crazy neighbour actually have children who could use this equipment, or is he just basically wanting to open a playground in your backyard?  In either event, I'd tell him you won't be able to assist, and definitely tell the landlord!

He has two boys ages 5 and 4 and an infant.   At my apartment, there are only two adults.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »

He has two boys ages 5 and 4 and an infant.   At my apartment, there are only two adults.

Definitely do not agree to help in anyway.  Call the landlord ASAP.  I think that's about all any of us can offer here.

If you're wondering what to say to your landlord, give him just the facts, m'am.

"Landlord, I don't know if you know, but neighbor has bought and wants to put up a playset in our shared yard.  Oh, you knew?  Just wanted to make sure.  I also want to let you know I'm not comfortable with it at all.  What if someone gets hurt?  I also don't want strange kids around my house.  It makes me uncomfortable."

OR

"Landlord, I don't know if you know, but neighbor has bought and wants to put up a playset in our shared yard.  Oh, you didn't know?  I'm sorry to spring this on you.  I'm not comfortable with the idea or with strange kids being in my yard."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:51:25 PM »
Well the good news is, since he doesn't have the tools or labor, it may be awhile before it gets built.  >:D 8) ;)

But I nth calling the landlord anyway, if for no other reason than to make sure he understands that you had nothing to do with this before Crazy Neighbor tells him otherwise. I'd also mention his "play area for the whole neighborhood" plans - as the property owner, he may want to increase his insurance.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

BeagleMommy

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »
POD to all the PP who've said to contact your landlord.  Crazy Neighbor may like the idea of a yard full of random children, but the landlord may not because of increased liability.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »
How big is the yard and how big is the play set?  I would be ticked - beyond ticked actually - if the yard I paid rent for was now obstructed for use by a play set.  Toys can be put away or put to the side when not in use, but a play set just sits there, taking up space.  It makes having a backyard get together awkward and is an attractive nuisance to neighborhood kids.

I agree you should contact your landlord ASAP.  And if you have renters insurance you might want to contact them and let them know this is happening and you want no part in it, so in the case of accident its established this is not yours, you did not agree to it and you are not liable.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »
I don't mind the playset at all.  We rarely use the back yard, except for eating at the picnic table (ours).   I am not going to be "Mr. Wilson" and grouse about the kids all the time.   They are welcome to use the yard, but I don't want the entire world back there.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 11:37:15 PM »
The playset arrived and Nutty Neighbor had it all neatly laid out in his garage.  Shanghai Jack told him he would be unable to help, due to his (very real) ankle injury.   Nutty Neighbor said he had a friend who was coming to help and then asked to borrow our shovel.   I said we were on our way out and didn't get the shovel.

Nutty Neighbor's friend spent today working on it alone.

ShanghaiJill

Re: The Play Set Updated post #9
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 11:10:52 AM »
The Playset is complete.   We decided to be nice and let Nutty Neighbor use our old electric drill.  Then he asked for the shovel.  Then the level.  We didn't own one and told him so.

Mr. Nutty Neighbor's friend showed up, but didn't appear to do any work.

Mrs. Neighbor (a nice girl) ended up putting the thing together herself.  At one point, she told me she still had to drill 36 holes.   At that time, Mr. Nutty Neighbor was out chatting with his friend.

Our drill was returned.  I asked for the shovel, but Mr. Nutty Neighbor said he wasn't done with it.

Finally, Mr. Nutty Neighbor returned the shovel.

As far as I can see, no ground was broken at all, even for the play set.  I hope he is not "digging the Panama Canal" in the basement. ;)

wheeitsme

Re: The Play Set Updated post #9
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 11:30:08 AM »

As far as I can see, no ground was broken at all, even for the play set.  I hope he is not "digging the Panama Canal" in the basement. ;)

LOL

It depends...do his aunts call him "Teddy?"

BarensMom

Re: The Play Set It's up! Posts 9&10
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 08:15:57 PM »
...And does he own a bugle?

southern girl

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Thank you guys for referencing that play.  I just got pictures from when I did it about 20 years ago!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 09:27:30 AM »
Yes, just how nutty IS this neighbour?

"Arsenic and Old Lace" ref ftw.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."