A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Foyer / Foy-yay / Foy-er / Foy-ah / For-aye

(1/19) > >>

Ceallach:
I've heard a character on a US show say "foy-aye" before and assumed it was meant to be funny (e.g. a joke),  but I just heard it on another show and wondered if this is simply a regional difference in pronunciation that goes beyond accents.

Here, the entryway type area of a home (foyer) is called "foy-er".    Or perhaps "foy-ah".  What I've heard on these shows that sounds completely different is definitely more "foy-aye" or "foy-yay".  Very different.

So how do you pronounce Foyer, AKA the entryway.  Or if you've never heard that word before, tell us!

Teenyweeny:
I wouldn't usually say foyer (I'd be more likely to say 'hall' or 'entrance'), but if I did, I'd say foy-yay. I'm in the UK, if that helps.

Irishkitty:

--- Quote from: Teenyweeny on March 28, 2012, 06:43:16 AM ---I wouldn't usually say foyer (I'd be more likely to say 'hall' or 'entrance'), but if I did, I'd say foy-yay. I'm in the UK, if that helps.

--- End quote ---
Same here. (except I'm in Ireland)

blue2000:
I would say foy-yay (Canada). Although it is mostly fancy houses and businesses that have foyers here. If you live in a regular house, you just have an entrance/front hall.

Thipu1:
NYC here and we would say foy-er. 

I've noticed that people in the UK tend to use the pronunciation of a term's original language. 

Some years ago we were on a ship.  The theater was named after Vincent Van Gogh.  Here, the name is usually pronounced Van Go.  When making announcements about the day's schedule, the English Social Director always referred to the place as the Van Khok Lounge.  There were people who had a hard time finding the place for a day or two.

But then, when referring to a self-serve display of food in a restaurant, most People in the US would call it a 'Buff-AY' while those in rhe UK would call it a 'BUFFette' 

Ah, the glories of the English language. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version