Author Topic: Foyer / Foy-yay / Foy-er / Foy-ah / For-aye  (Read 25200 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Foyer / Foy-yay / Foy-er / Foy-ah / For-aye
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »
FOY-er (but I don't use it -- I say entryway or some other term. If I knew I was around people who did, I might try "foy-ay," but I'd probably feel awkward.)
buh-FAY
Or-DERV(S)
I don't say crudite because I don't know how it's said.
Bal-AY (we were talking about how Billy Elliot's dad always something that sounds more like a single syllable "BOLLY" to our American ears just last night!)

To add another to the mix:
ANT (though some other people's parents' sisters just seem more like AUuunts than my dear aunts, and it's AUN-tee, not ANT-ee for "auntie").

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 02:18:28 PM »
I've always been taught that "foy-yay" was the correct pronunciation, but I've heard "foy-er" as well.

People like to have fun with words. 

Most people would call a platter of raw vegetables served with dip 'Croo-da-TAYS'. A friend, who knows better, enjoys calling them 'CRUDD-ites'.  He also likes to call hors oeuvres 'Horse Doovers'.

Oops. I call them "croo-dites".

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »
I call it a veggie tray.   :D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »
I call them "Uh huh, that's nice, where's the cake?"  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

demarco

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »
I call it the front hall. 

(I grew up in New England and have lived my adult life in the Midwest and the south.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:09:09 PM by demarco »

Isometric

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »
I call them "Uh huh, that's nice, where's the cake?"  ;D

Haha! Were we seperated at birth??

Foy-ah. (Or Foy-yay if putting on a mock posh voice) I only use it when refering to hotels.

I once knew a woman who pronounced things as she read them - sachet was sat-chet, and foccacia was focka-chia.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »
I call it the front hall. 

(I grew up in New England and have lived my adult life in the Midwest and the south.)

Me, too. I'm from New England. I only hear foy-yay on the TV; never heard a real, live person say it. And I've never heard entry room--that must be a regionalism.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »
Foy-yay here. I'm a military brat and tend to use 'unaccented' and relatively non regional American English.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 10:17:37 PM »
I would say foy-yay (Canada). Although it is mostly fancy houses and businesses that have foyers here. If you live in a regular house, you just have an entrance/front hall.

I say it that way too, also Canada.  However, I consider the term to be fairly interchangeable whether referring to a small house, mansion, office building etc.  But generally for a commercial building I would say "lobby".

As an aside - I do remember "entrance hall" being a common term in the 1960s for fairly newly-built homes.  Quite often, these were basement-entry homes - the entrance-level would include the rec room, perhaps a den, second bathroom and laundry room.  Upstairs was the main living area.  But overall, these entrance-halls were huge and they only really had to accommodate a coat-closet.  Lots of wasted space....

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 11:44:25 PM »
I say "FOY-er," and it is a word I use on occasion.  I can't recall if I've used it to refer to a house -- the last time I lived in one with any sort of space that could possibly be called a foyer was about 10 years ago.

For a few decades after WWII, it seemed to be pretty common to build houses such that the front door opened onto the living room (or at least it seems that way based on houses of that era that are still around).  More recently, I've seen more newer homes that actually do have an entrance room or area of some sort, but there are probably just as many that are so open-planned that it's not really a discrete space.

And actually, now that I think about it, I'm inclined to use the term "front hall" for a house that has some sort of discrete entryway space.  That could be because that space in the house I grew up in really was more of a hallway than an entrance way.  We rarely used the front door, and instead used the side door that opened into the living room.  Thus, the room that the front door opened onto functioned primarily as a pathway between the living room and the den.

Now, of course, my "front hall" is a 2 foot by 2 foot patch of linoleum in my living room, with nothing else to distinguish it from the rest of the room. :)  I rather miss having a separate entryway, but them's the breaks when you live in an apartment (or so it seems).

PrincessInPink

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 12:11:47 AM »
I don't think I've ever said it out loud. I call it an entryway. But when I read it, I pronounce it "foy-yay" in my head.

Also, I do not say crudites. I would call that a veggie tray. So would most other people I know, except for my grandmother, who says relish tray.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 12:41:18 AM »
I don't think I've ever said it out loud. I call it an entryway. But when I read it, I pronounce it "foy-yay" in my head.

Also, I do not say crudites. I would call that a veggie tray. So would most other people I know, except for my grandmother, who says relish tray.

I thought a relish tray had pickles and olives on it, not general veggies.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 01:04:52 AM »
I grew up hearing it as "foy-yay" in my house and "foy-er" everywhere else in town.  As a result, I've just learned to call it "the front hall" instead :P  There are actually several words I avoid because of this issue - I point-blank refused to call our chaise lounge/lounge anything at all because "chase lounge" sounded like I didn't know any better but "shez lonjj" sounded like I was trying to be pretentious (and nobody would know what I meant anyway).  Apparently both are correct in the US, but I finally ended up calling it "the chase" because that's what DH and Babybartfast call it.

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 01:11:53 AM »
But then, when referring to a self-serve display of food in a restaurant, most People in the US would call it a 'Buff-AY' while those in rhe UK would call it a 'BUFFette' 

I think someone's been pulling your leg there. We say 'buff-ay' in the UK too.

Lol yes. Have a stern word with them Thipu!

In the UK we say buff-ay and foy-yay.

SouthernBelle

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »
Hmm.  How about valet?