Author Topic: What to wear??  (Read 2004 times)

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
What to wear??
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:51:08 PM »
Tim has just informed us that we're having a choir party next month. It's going to be a Hawaiian luau barbecue.

I've never been to a luau before. Chip has a cabana that he can wear, but what should I wear? I don't have the figure for either a sarong or a grass skirt and seashell top. (I've never found any shells big enough that would cover everything. ;)) There's a store in town that sells dusters that could pass as muumuus; I thought if I could find one in a tropical print, then put a big silk flower in my hair and maybe a band of flowers around my ankles, I could pass muster. But I'm kind of at a loss otherwise.

I figure I won't have to worry about a lei, since there are plastic ones in the party shops.

Thoughts, anyone?
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
Re: What to wear??
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 12:58:18 PM »
Tim has just informed us that we're having a choir party next month. It's going to be a Hawaiian luau barbecue.

I've never been to a luau before. Chip has a cabana that he can wear, but what should I wear? I don't have the figure for either a sarong or a grass skirt and seashell top. (I've never found any shells big enough that would cover everything. ;)) There's a store in town that sells dusters that could pass as muumuus; I thought if I could find one in a tropical print, then put a big silk flower in my hair and maybe a band of flowers around my ankles, I could pass muster. But I'm kind of at a loss otherwise.

I figure I won't have to worry about a lei, since there are plastic ones in the party shops.

Thoughts, anyone?

I think that a mumu would be very appropriate.  Are you uncomfortable wearing a sarong that is only worn below the waist?  I think that with a t-shirt with the sarong and a beautiful tropical flower behind your ear would be lovely.  :)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 01:14:34 PM »
Anything in a Hawaiian print should be appropriate.

The party sounds fun!
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 01:56:16 PM »
I think that a mumu would be very appropriate.  Are you uncomfortable wearing a sarong that is only worn below the waist?  I think that with a t-shirt with the sarong and a beautiful tropical flower behind your ear would be lovely.

Hey, I hadn't thought of that. I think I have a wrap-tie skirt pattern, and I have some flamingo print. (Do they have flamingoes in Hawaii??) I could go that route. Or I might be able to find a muumuu.

Flowers behind the ear are definitely a must. :)
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Jenzilla

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 03:26:34 PM »
If you really want to get into it, you can order a sarong (or other Hawaiian clothing) from Hilo Hattie's - www.hilohattie.com. Their high-end stuff can get pricey, but I think the sarongs are pretty cheap.

Darn, their website is down for maintenance right this minute.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 03:28:30 PM »
A muumuu sounds cute and a tropical flower in the hair....you'll be just right!
Oh, and some light beach sandals and you can get leis at most Hallmark shops or party supply places.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 07:04:24 PM »
Scritzy,

Frequently, party stores have faux grass skirts.  You could wear a Hawaiian shirt and shorts/a skirt/capris and put the grass skirt around your waist.

Have fun at the party!    :)

wendybird

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 03:51:49 PM »
my best friend is plus size, and for my party she's getting one of those tshirts with the airbrushed bikini gal. she has a great sense of humor, which is why we're best friends!! something like this but you can get them custom made at most malls. her inspiration was a character in edward scissorhands.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 10:54:51 PM »
my best friend is plus size, and for my party she's getting one of those tshirts with the airbrushed bikini gal. she has a great sense of humor, which is why we're best friends!! something like this but you can get them custom made at most malls. her inspiration was a character in edward scissorhands.

My mom has one of those, and she always gets great reactions when she wears it!  When my parents went to Hawaii with a group of friends, my dad got a hold of similar shirts, but with a lady wearing a grass skirt and a lei instead of a bikini.  He gave one to all six women on the trip, and they attracted a lot of attention. (These were all 50-70 yo women.)

Emmy

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 10:50:57 PM »
I think a tropical floral dress and a flower in the hair and a lei around your neck will have you look appropriate and festive for the party. 

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 11:07:02 PM »
Don't forget the flip flops!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 04:31:15 PM »
You can always go as a tourist.  Carry a camera, a guide-book and/or a map.  That way you can wear anything you want.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 09:41:07 AM »
I think that a mumu would be very appropriate.  Are you uncomfortable wearing a sarong that is only worn below the waist?  I think that with a t-shirt with the sarong and a beautiful tropical flower behind your ear would be lovely.

Hey, I hadn't thought of that. I think I have a wrap-tie skirt pattern, and I have some flamingo print. (Do they have flamingoes in Hawaii??) I could go that route. Or I might be able to find a muumuu.

Flowers behind the ear are definitely a must. :)

Wrap-tie skirt with a nice tropical themed print (flamingoes definitely count) would be perfect!