Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

What to wear??

(1/3) > >>

Scritzy:
Tim has just informed us that we're having a choir party next month. It's going to be a Hawaiian luau barbecue.

I've never been to a luau before. Chip has a cabana that he can wear, but what should I wear? I don't have the figure for either a sarong or a grass skirt and seashell top. (I've never found any shells big enough that would cover everything. ;)) There's a store in town that sells dusters that could pass as muumuus; I thought if I could find one in a tropical print, then put a big silk flower in my hair and maybe a band of flowers around my ankles, I could pass muster. But I'm kind of at a loss otherwise.

I figure I won't have to worry about a lei, since there are plastic ones in the party shops.

Thoughts, anyone?

jimithing:

--- Quote from: Scritzy on August 03, 2007, 12:51:08 PM ---Tim has just informed us that we're having a choir party next month. It's going to be a Hawaiian luau barbecue.

I've never been to a luau before. Chip has a cabana that he can wear, but what should I wear? I don't have the figure for either a sarong or a grass skirt and seashell top. (I've never found any shells big enough that would cover everything. ;)) There's a store in town that sells dusters that could pass as muumuus; I thought if I could find one in a tropical print, then put a big silk flower in my hair and maybe a band of flowers around my ankles, I could pass muster. But I'm kind of at a loss otherwise.

I figure I won't have to worry about a lei, since there are plastic ones in the party shops.

Thoughts, anyone?

--- End quote ---

I think that a mumu would be very appropriate.  Are you uncomfortable wearing a sarong that is only worn below the waist?  I think that with a t-shirt with the sarong and a beautiful tropical flower behind your ear would be lovely.  :)

Lisbeth:
Anything in a Hawaiian print should be appropriate.

The party sounds fun!

Scritzy:

--- Quote ---I think that a mumu would be very appropriate.  Are you uncomfortable wearing a sarong that is only worn below the waist?  I think that with a t-shirt with the sarong and a beautiful tropical flower behind your ear would be lovely.
--- End quote ---

Hey, I hadn't thought of that. I think I have a wrap-tie skirt pattern, and I have some flamingo print. (Do they have flamingoes in Hawaii??) I could go that route. Or I might be able to find a muumuu.

Flowers behind the ear are definitely a must. :)

Jenzilla:
If you really want to get into it, you can order a sarong (or other Hawaiian clothing) from Hilo Hattie's - www.hilohattie.com. Their high-end stuff can get pricey, but I think the sarongs are pretty cheap.

Darn, their website is down for maintenance right this minute.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version