Author Topic: Banana Bread Question -- Great Update at #8  (Read 3628 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Banana Bread Question -- Great Update at #8
« on: March 28, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
How over-ripe do the bananas need to be and how many make 2 1/3 cups when mashed?

These questions may sound stupid, but my store has recently  been stocking bananas that are still a little green.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:11:19 PM by Venus193 »

AngelicGamer

Re: Banana Bread Question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
For me, there need to be brown/black spots before I entertain the idea of banana bread.  For 2 1/3 cups mashed, I believe it is 4 medium bananas.  I'm not 100 percent sure on that, but I hope it helps.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:42:48 PM »
I prefer mine nearly solid black.  I won't even think to use them unless they are at least completely spotted brown.  Maybe 4-5 small-medium ones or 2-3 really big ones.  Really though, a little more or less won't make much of difference.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »
I was hoping to make banana bread on Friday morning.  If the bananas I bought yesterday aren't up to that, I guess I'll make brownies instead.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 11:59:34 AM »
You can hasten the ripening by putting them in a brown paper bag in a warmer spot, I think.

You definitely want them to have brown spots and be fairly soft when you peel them.  Otherwise, you won't get the flavour.  I made the mistake of making some dehydrated banana chips out of bananas that were just ripe.  They had absolutely no flavour.

2 to 3 medium bananas will give 1 cup of mashed banana so for 2 1/3 cups, you'll need 6 to 10 medium bananas.

I watch the reduced produce rack for bananas all the time.  Sometimes I hit it right and I can get a big bunch of ripe bananas for 50 cents.  Then I peel them, mash them and throw the mash in the freezer until I get a chance to make banana bread.  You can put whole bananas in the freezer and deal with them later but the peeling and mashing part gets real messy.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jmarvellous

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »
I save the last overripe banana (or two if I accidentally bought them too yellow) from the bunch anytime I don't get a chance to eat it before it gets there. Once I have 3-4 in the freezer, it's banana bread time!

I have found that I actually like my bread a little less banana-y than 2 1/3 cups of bananas would be, so I just estimate on banana content.

I made a vegan recipe this week that rose surprisingly well and tastes great!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »
Just put it in the oven.  I had 6 nanners, mashed to a lumpy state.  Made it with Brown Sugar Splenda, a ghost of cinnamon, and some walnuts.  Here's hoping.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:33:07 PM »

I watch the reduced produce rack for bananas all the time.  Sometimes I hit it right and I can get a big bunch of ripe bananas for 50 cents.  Then I peel them, mash them and throw the mash in the freezer until I get a chance to make banana bread.  You can put whole bananas in the freezer and deal with them later but the peeling and mashing part gets real messy.

I peel them and don't mash them before I put them in the freezer. Then I just turn the Baggie inside out into the mixing bowl . Include all of the juices that separate out, by the way.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »
Update:

Perfect results.  Rave reviews by Brunhilde and her family.  I am so psyched!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
Update:

Perfect results.  Rave reviews by Brunhilde and her family.  I am so psyched!

Like.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
Re: Banana Bread Question -- Great Update at #8
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »
The banana skins were mostly brown when I peeled.  Six nanners made up the quantity I needed and I subbed brown sugar Splenda for regular brown sugar. The loaf pans were small, so I got two loaves out of this:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/banana-banana-bread/

I also added chopped walnuts.