Author Topic: Banana Bread Question -- Great Update at #8  (Read 3761 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Banana Bread Question -- Great Update at #8
« on: March 28, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
How over-ripe do the bananas need to be and how many make 2 1/3 cups when mashed?

These questions may sound stupid, but my store has recently  been stocking bananas that are still a little green.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:11:19 PM by Venus193 »

AngelicGamer

Re: Banana Bread Question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
For me, there need to be brown/black spots before I entertain the idea of banana bread.  For 2 1/3 cups mashed, I believe it is 4 medium bananas.  I'm not 100 percent sure on that, but I hope it helps.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:42:48 PM »
I prefer mine nearly solid black.  I won't even think to use them unless they are at least completely spotted brown.  Maybe 4-5 small-medium ones or 2-3 really big ones.  Really though, a little more or less won't make much of difference.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »
I was hoping to make banana bread on Friday morning.  If the bananas I bought yesterday aren't up to that, I guess I'll make brownies instead.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 11:59:34 AM »
You can hasten the ripening by putting them in a brown paper bag in a warmer spot, I think.

You definitely want them to have brown spots and be fairly soft when you peel them.  Otherwise, you won't get the flavour.  I made the mistake of making some dehydrated banana chips out of bananas that were just ripe.  They had absolutely no flavour.

2 to 3 medium bananas will give 1 cup of mashed banana so for 2 1/3 cups, you'll need 6 to 10 medium bananas.

I watch the reduced produce rack for bananas all the time.  Sometimes I hit it right and I can get a big bunch of ripe bananas for 50 cents.  Then I peel them, mash them and throw the mash in the freezer until I get a chance to make banana bread.  You can put whole bananas in the freezer and deal with them later but the peeling and mashing part gets real messy.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

jmarvellous

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »
I save the last overripe banana (or two if I accidentally bought them too yellow) from the bunch anytime I don't get a chance to eat it before it gets there. Once I have 3-4 in the freezer, it's banana bread time!

I have found that I actually like my bread a little less banana-y than 2 1/3 cups of bananas would be, so I just estimate on banana content.

I made a vegan recipe this week that rose surprisingly well and tastes great!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »
Just put it in the oven.  I had 6 nanners, mashed to a lumpy state.  Made it with Brown Sugar Splenda, a ghost of cinnamon, and some walnuts.  Here's hoping.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:33:07 PM »

I watch the reduced produce rack for bananas all the time.  Sometimes I hit it right and I can get a big bunch of ripe bananas for 50 cents.  Then I peel them, mash them and throw the mash in the freezer until I get a chance to make banana bread.  You can put whole bananas in the freezer and deal with them later but the peeling and mashing part gets real messy.

I peel them and don't mash them before I put them in the freezer. Then I just turn the Baggie inside out into the mixing bowl . Include all of the juices that separate out, by the way.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »
Update:

Perfect results.  Rave reviews by Brunhilde and her family.  I am so psyched!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
Update:

Perfect results.  Rave reviews by Brunhilde and her family.  I am so psyched!

Like.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
Re: Banana Bread Question -- Great Update at #8
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »
The banana skins were mostly brown when I peeled.  Six nanners made up the quantity I needed and I subbed brown sugar Splenda for regular brown sugar. The loaf pans were small, so I got two loaves out of this:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/banana-banana-bread/

I also added chopped walnuts.