Author Topic: Addressing Children's Party Invitations...  (Read 2713 times)

princess91765

• A royal pain...
Addressing Children's Party Invitations...
« on: August 03, 2007, 02:19:31 PM »
Hi:

Help! I need some opinions!

I am throwing a birthday party for my 6 year old son and I will be sending invitations out soon.

What I want to know is, would it be correct ettiquette to address the invitations to the children even though the entire family is invited... Could I put "Child's Name and Family"? Or would that be tacky? I know that normally one would just write "The Whatever Family" and that would imply that everyone in the family was invited, but I know that little kids get sooo excited when they receive mail.

What do you guys think?

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: Addressing Children's Party Invitations...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:30:23 PM »
If you are inviting only the child, address the invitation to the child.

If you are inviting an entire family, address it to "The Whatever Family" or the parents with an "and Family" after the parents' names.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

hollasa

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 02:46:31 PM »
Are you actually inviting the whole family?

Or is it little Billy/Susy is invited, and the parents can stay if they want to?

Would the family be invited if the child wasn't a member of their family?

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 02:48:45 PM »
And with kids parties sometimes there is a bit of a difference between invited "guest" and invited "guardian"

ClaireC79

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 02:55:49 PM »
How about addressing it to Billy (or whoever) and adding a line at the bottom that they can bring mum, dad and siblings

princess91765

• A royal pain...
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 03:14:32 PM »
Are you actually inviting the whole family?

Or is it little Billy/Susy is invited, and the parents can stay if they want to?

Would the family be invited if the child wasn't a member of their family?

Well, that's the thing. Some of them are children of friends, while some of them are classmates. As for the classmates, we don't really know the parents other than casual greetings as we drop the kids off at school. I don't really want a bunch of people dropping their kids off for me to supervise either. We are talking about 30 kids and 50 adults. We have a HUGE family and people would be offended if they weren't invited!

I just thought it might be cute to put something like:

Billy Smith and Family
12345 Main Street
San Marino, CA 91106

BittyB

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 12:55:04 AM »
Okay, here is the thing: what happens when you invite Billy Smith and Family and he has 7 siblings? 

But, if you are going to invite the entire family for real... how formal is the party?  At a party for a 6 year old, which I would expect to be very casual and child-oriented, I probably would not address my invitations formally, at which point "Child and Family", to me, is cute.  No, it's not proper etiquette but you're probably not serving soup, a fish course, a meat course, salad and cheese course, a dessert course, and a fruit course. 

Also, it sounds like you are stuck with a large party because of your own family, and that adds to the stress of extra kids without THEIR parents.  You might consider having a family party separately, and then letting your child invite over a few friends on another day.  That way you can limit it to a manageable number without the pressure of adding the entire family of each friend you invite.  Just a thought.