Author Topic: For UK eHellions - They've all gone mad!  (Read 1218 times)

shadowfox79

For UK eHellions - They've all gone mad!
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:03:58 AM »
I'm supposed to be going to a regional meeting (not for work - social thing) tomorrow which is a two hour drive away.

Earlier this week, as UK ehellions will know, there was talk of a tanker strike. It hasn't happened and may not ever, but some genius politician suggested that everyone should stock up on petrol just in case.

So now every petrol station within a ten mile radius of me has queues stretching as far as the eye can see and are running out of fuel before you can blink.

Hmm. Two hour drive without being able to fill up first? Not looking hopeful.

Thanks a lot, Mr Politician.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
Re: For UK eHellions - They've all gone mad!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:15:02 AM »
It's not just our area then? I'm dreading heading to the shops this morning, because I can see the queue from here.

Good luck with your drive, and good luck filling up.
Pet Hatchery | My books
Killgrace stories - Webserial current date: 3rd October 1929

shadowfox79

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:20:39 AM »
It's everywhere, I gather. I managed to get into two queues this morning - one place ran out before I got to a pump, the second ran out while I was halfway through filling up, which made me ever so popular with the cars behind me.

I've not got enough for the drive tomorrow, so if I don't manage to get any in the morning, I'm going nowhere.

pwy a wyr

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:09:41 AM »
It might not just be you, Shadowfox. Maybe others can't make it either and it'll be postponed. I'm really hoping I won't have to fill up my car before it all calms down. There's probably not going to be a strike now. The government have got a huge influx of money from all the fuel tax, they'll also see that the drivers striking would have a huge impact. Oh, well. At least the weather's nice for walking!

Gyburc

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:14:26 AM »
To be fair to Mr Politician, the media have been hyping this up constantly over the last couple of days, and I really think they bear quite a lot of the blame for this. Not to mention the tanker's union!

Re. the fuel tax - yes, it's true that sales of fuel have rocketed over the last few days, but actually people aren't going to be buying more fuel in the long term than they would anyway. They are just buying it now, rather than later. So in the long run, I suspect the government won't be making much extra if at all.

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

ClaireC79

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 07:30:10 AM »
They've now said there won't be a strike over Easter so hopefully it'll calm down - hoping so as meant to be working overtime tomorrow and unless I can get petrol today that won't be happening

bigozzy

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 08:21:25 AM »
Ugh, same here in some places. When I go shopping tomorrow I wonder if I will see shelves being emptied of bread and water to prepare for the zombie apocolypse, er I mean possible tanker strike.

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 08:48:01 AM »
I've got college basketball on my mind apparently--

I thought the thread was referring to the University of Kentucky (GO CATS!!) that are playing a huge rival this weekend--

I gotta get out more.....
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

princessdolly

• The core of all life is a limitless chest of tales
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »
Where are they storing all that petrol anyway? It can't be safe to take it home.

This may be unrelated : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-17560534

Mr Politician only said it in order to get the public to bully the tanker drivers into not striking. Instead everyone saw through that tactic and saw him as the moron he so clearly is.

squashedfrog

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »
Im in the Brum area and work in warwickshire.  The petrol stations near me and my work have been sold out for a couple of days, or only have diesel left.  I yesterday I was running on empty and finally found a place to fill up. 

45 minute wait!!!! - 3 pumps only open so I drove up, and turned around in the empty side of the forcourt and parked to queue on the other side so as not to cause an obstruction to the other cars trying to queue up.  Didn't stop anyone else though, the queue leaked over into the street and caused a traffic jam.

bigozzy

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
I have a number of GP's and teachers stockpiled in my attic because they reckon there will be a shortage of these professions. Better safe than sorry and they are non-flammable. Mostly.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 10:29:14 AM »
It's everywhere, I gather. I managed to get into two queues this morning - one place ran out before I got to a pump, the second ran out while I was halfway through filling up, which made me ever so popular with the cars behind me.

Just a little FYI:  My uncle was a mechanic.  He told me that if you ever get the last gas at a station, you should watch for issues with your car due to sediment from the bottom of the tanks.  He also told me you should never fill your car while the station tanks are being filled from the tanker truck because that stirs up the sediment, if there is any.  If the tanks are new, this isn't a big concern.

When that happened to me, as a precaution, I put fuel injector cleaner in the tank and I threw in a tank of premium the next time I filled up.  No issues.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

princessdolly

• The core of all life is a limitless chest of tales
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
I have a number of GP's and teachers stockpiled in my attic because they reckon there will be a shortage of these professions. Better safe than sorry and they are non-flammable. Mostly.

GP's are hopeless, they can barely draw blood. What you need are at least two surgeons and some nurses.

Non-smokers preferred.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »
My cars fuel light was on and it was screaming"feed me" every 2 minuets, which is how I found out about that wonderfull bit of advice from Mr Politician.  :-\

I saw the line of cars out on to the main road and headed home thinking it was just the time of day (if my car will start I can get to the garage I am that close) only to see the news.  >:(
I am in Oxford and while it's busy, busy, busy! I have not seen any where run out of fuel. I also can't 'not have' a tank of fuel, as I am waiting to go in to labour and I will (hopfully very, very soon) need it to get in to the hospital. If not for that I would have just let my car be hungry. The weather has been way to nice to be cooped up in a car.

Where are they storing all that petrol anyway? It can't be safe to take it home.

This may be unrelated : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-17560534

Mr Politician only said it in order to get the public to bully the tanker drivers into not striking. Instead everyone saw through that tactic and saw him as the moron he so clearly is.

It was only a mater of time after that stupid Jerry can announcement. Most people have no idea how dangerous fuel can be.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer