Author Topic: Referring to vendors on Facebook or a blog  (Read 1234 times)

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
Referring to vendors on Facebook or a blog
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »
I have sort of a hypothetical question... I have been playing with the idea of starting a Facebook page or a blog about one of my favourite hobbies. Part of what is prompting me is a) I just love talking/thinking about hobby ;D and b) along the way, I have found many products and vendors that other people don't seem to know about and I'd love to share the knowledge.

So, is it okay in either a blog or Facebook, to say "Check out www.companyname.com for product x" or is it better to ask the company if you can mention them. I don't have any intention of criticizing a company or product or slamming anyone, it is simply to share good things I've found with fellow enthusiasts.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Referring to vendors on Facebook or a blog
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »
If they're on the internet, it is perfectly fine to link to them.  Vendors LOVE that sort of thing.  It brings them business.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »
Yep, I agree with Shoo -- not only is it okay, the vendors will probably really appreciate it.

MrTango

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »
I think it's perfectly fine.  In fact, many vendors have a "Like us on Facebook" link that would make it even easier to refer to them if you use a FB page rather than a blog.

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »
Perfect - thanks everyone!

Eden

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 02:35:17 PM »
One note on that, though. If you receive any freebies from those vendors/companies, I believe it is ethically (maybe legally?) required that you disclose that. Otherwise, blog away and happy hobbying!

triciadi

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »
My daughter has an online business that frequently is mentioned in blogs.  She not only appreciates the mention and the link but also appreciates it when a blogger lets her know that they have mentioned her in their blog.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »

I think that's fine.

It's also fine to post negative reviews on your blog, although I would personally be careful to make sure it's warranted (one bad experience or problem not so much, persistent bad service or issues that cause a lot of  problems and aren't quickly fixed would get a bad posting), and backed up ("I've been having problems with XYZ's inability to deliver products on time, and repeated wrong orders" vs "XYZ sucks!").