Author Topic: Facebook tagging people in a picture vs. in a comment  (Read 3367 times)

Harriet

Facebook tagging people in a picture vs. in a comment
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:23:19 PM »
Not sure if this is rude or not. Sometimes people (myself included) will tag names in a photo not because the people are actually in the photo but because they want to bring someone's attention to it (I'm not talking about goofy people tagging randomly for ha-has)

Real-life examples
A relative is scanning old family photos and sharing on fb. S/he tags my grandfather in the photo with my name so I get a notification about it.
Someone's showing off a team shirt in a posted photo and they tag the shirt with names of people on the team.

FB treats these pics as though they are actually of you. So they show up in the "Pictures of You" area and in your wall, etc.

Since the option exists to tag people in comments or in the description area instead, would you consider this rude or at least annoying? Or just inaccurate? Or is just a quirk of the way people use FB and nobody's really bothered by it?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Facebook tagging people in a picture vs. in a comment
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »
It annoys me because then I have to go x them out of that little bar on top, which i curate pretty obsessively, but that may just be me! And with Timeline about to strike me, that whole thing will go away anyway, I guess, in favor of a big picture that I get to choose. It also depends on what it is. I'm less annoyed if it's something like my adorable nieces and nephews, more annoyed if it's a random meme.

mlkind1789

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »
The only time I would tag anyone other than the people actually in a picture are ones who would be interested.  For example, when we went on a family camping trip I took lots of pictures and posted them when we got back.  I tagged DH's aunt and uncle in the pictures of their grandchildren.  Also, when my family back home gets together I will usually get tagged in at least a pic or two, especially if it includes my mother.  My favorite one is one my cousin J took of her daddy(Mama's big brother), Mama, and their little sister L.  They've already lost one sister and my uncle is suffering from Alzheimer's and quickly losing his battle.  I love that they were able to get this picture and my cousin thought to tag me in it.  Otherwise I might never have seen it.

I would never tag someone in a random meme picture, but what I have done is tag someone in a comment on it.  I have several friends that I worked with at CellPhoneCompany and found a funny one about Nokia phones (those things will not die!), posted it and tagged my friends in a comment on it, something along the lines of "Hey xxx, yyy, and zzz, I saw this and thought of you guys."  This is perfectly acceptable in our group.  I wouldn't do that to most people though.

sweetonsno

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »
I find it annoying myself. The problem is that the tee shirt doesn't just show up for the person who is tagged; it shows up in all of their friends' feeds as well. So however many friends and family members you may have wind up seeing "Harriet was tagged in 15 photos" and no actual pictures of you.

I think the share function is more appropriate if you just want to make sure that someone specific sees the picture. You can share on an individual's wall or send them a message directly. The former might send a notification to mutual friends, but the latter sends no notifications at all. Either way, the person who you want to see the photo will be alerted.

MrTango

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »
This is exactly the reason why I've set up my account settings to require my approval before anyone tags me in a picture.

That way, I can decide if I want myself to be associated with that particular photo before anyone else gets to see the tag.

O'Dell

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
I'm not really bothered by it. Like MrTango, I have FB set so I have to approve me being tagged in photos, and I generally pass on by any notices that friends were tagged unless I know the person tagging them.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Harriet

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 05:56:26 PM »
I find it annoying myself. The problem is that the tee shirt doesn't just show up for the person who is tagged; it shows up in all of their friends' feeds as well. So however many friends and family members you may have wind up seeing "Harriet was tagged in 15 photos" and no actual pictures of you.

I wonder whose settings win. I uncheck the box for "Make this visible to: Friends of those tagged."

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »

I wonder whose settings win. I uncheck the box for "Make this visible to: Friends of those tagged."

I've never seen that option, so I often don't tag people in things because I don't want all their friends to see it.  Hmm.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 06:07:05 PM »
I find it irritating to be tagged in photos that have absolutely nothing to do with me.  Fortunately, CLE_Girl in the Please Don't Tag Me! thread explained how to turn on the setting that blocks people from tagging you without your approval.  Instead of having to click numerous 'x's to get it off my profile and get myself untagged, I now just click one to ignore.  It's so much easier, especially as the person who was constantly tagging me posts numerous photos a day.

Harriet

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »
I've never seen that option, so I often don't tag people in things because I don't want all their friends to see it.  Hmm.

You have to go looking for it every time you make a post. It's annoying. You click on the little gear icon, choose "Custom" and then you get a pop-up where you can enter names or lists of people to show to or hide from. It's on that pop-up. The other settings on that pop-up stick as default after you click Save, but not that one for some reason. You have another chance after you post the post; the gear icon is there next to the post you made and  you can change the options.

I find it irritating to be tagged in photos that have absolutely nothing to do with me.  Fortunately, CLE_Girl in the Please Don't Tag Me! thread explained how to turn on the setting that blocks people from tagging you without your approval.  Instead of having to click numerous 'x's to get it off my profile and get myself untagged, I now just click one to ignore.  It's so much easier, especially as the person who was constantly tagging me posts numerous photos a day.

Oh yes, this setting is invaluable. I have it turned on also. So, if we know that it's possible for other people to have this setting turned on, does that mean the onus is on them? Or are FB settings so confusing that one should assume most people don't know of it, and that makes the onus on the poster?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 06:59:47 PM »
I tag my sister, BIL and adult cousins in pictures of their kids under 13. A friend of a cousin was irritated by it. Cousin took care of the problem.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 01:24:38 PM »

Oh yes, this setting is invaluable. I have it turned on also. So, if we know that it's possible for other people to have this setting turned on, does that mean the onus is on them? Or are FB settings so confusing that one should assume most people don't know of it, and that makes the onus on the poster?

I think, ideally, you'd know beforehand whether the people you're tagging mind or not.  I had no idea about that option until someone told me, but I was irritated by the friend who frequently posted pics that had nothing to do with me, but tagged me in them.  It meant I had to do all the work of untagging myself and taking myself out of the notification stream in order to stop the irritation.

So...can you ask the people you're tagging?  Obviously, if it's a one off, it might not be worth a PM beforehand, but if you're constantly or frequently tagging people, why not drop them a PM and ask if they want to be tagged or if they'd rather not?  At the same time, you could tell them about the tagging block that's available, in case they don't know.  I know I would have felt less irritated if I'd been asked beforehand, instead of having to remove pics of deer, snow scenes and Christmas trees from my profile.

sweetonsno

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »

If you do that, then the photos won't show up in my feed (if I'm a friend of the tagged). However, most people don't do that. (Thank you for being one who does!)

Harriet

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 10:29:04 PM »
I think, ideally, you'd know beforehand whether the people you're tagging mind or not.

This is true, and one of the really noticeable things about FB is all the little microcosms of people (and their associated etiquette/cultural mores) bumping up against each other for all to see. Things perfectly okay in one group don't fly at all in another, and FB lumps them all together in one ever-flowing stream.

Anyway, thanks to all for your thoughts on the matter. I definitely am sparing in my use of tags period, and very few fall into this category. I was wondering however if it was a real no-no, which it seems not. More like a "use with caution" kind of thing.

If you do that, then the photos won't show up in my feed (if I'm a friend of the tagged). However, most people don't do that. (Thank you for being one who does!)

You're most welcome! I wish everybody would use this checkbox.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Since the option exists to tag people in comments or in the description area instead, would you consider this rude or at least annoying? Or just inaccurate? Or is just a quirk of the way people use FB and nobody's really bothered by it?

I find tagging me in a picture I am not in to be seriously annoying & a mild form of boundary trampling. I set it to where my approval is required.