Author Topic: Bathroom situation--advice needed *updated*  (Read 2351 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Bathroom situation--advice needed *updated*
« on: August 03, 2007, 04:15:48 PM »
Advice needed! :) 

Having a BBQ tomorrow afternoon.  It's a reunion of sorts for many high school friends.  (some we haven't seen in YEARS)

It started out small enough but in the last week, it's grown to about 80.  (yeah, don't ask! lol)  We have enough room for everyone in the backyard so the size of the BBQ isn't that big a deal except for one thing...the bathroom.

When I first said "okay" to having the BBQ at our home, the list was about 15-25 people.  I'm used to accommodating this many people on any normal weekend so it wasn't that big a deal. (my immediate family outnumbers that by 5) 

Now that it's grown considerably, I'm wondering how to handle the bathroom situation.

When we have family BBQ's there have been a few times when the guest bathroom is occupied so our family members will use our private master bathroom.  It's rare but it has happened.  DH and I are okay with this 'cause most of the times this has happened, it's usually my nephews that "can't wait." 

However, I don't know if DH would be okay letting friends use our master bathroom if the guest bathroom is occupied. 

Would it be rude to keep the Master bath off-limits? 

The Master bath has all our personal items like makeup, facial products, brushes, etc, etc.  The guest bathroom is devoid of anything personal.  (except in one cabinet where my boys keep their toothbrushes, etc) 

If it is not rude to keep the Master bathroom off-limits then what do I say when someone asks "is there another bathroom I can use?"

And yes, DH and I are looking into adding a 3rd bathroom sometime in the future.  It's really needed. LOL

Thanks and I'll take everyone's advice seriously. 

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 02:21:47 PM by Roe »

behindbj

Re: Bathroom situation--advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 04:21:21 PM »
I know this might sound odd to some folks, but I have been told that there is only one available bathroom when being shown where it is when I arrive for a party.

This doesn't seem odd to me and it gave me a heads up that maybe I need to sidle over to the facility in questions sooner than if there were 3 of them.

But that's just me.  I also, therefore, believe that if you are uncomfortable opening up your master bath then don't.

behindbj

twinkletoes

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 04:26:24 PM »
I agree with BehindBJ- tell your guests "You can use the bathroom to the right of the kitchen" or wherever it is. 

I, too, take into account how many bathrooms are available when I'm at a party.  It really helps, so that if I realize that I will need to use the bathroom soon, I can start making my way over and wait in line, instead of waiting until the last minute.

I don't blame you for not wanting to open up your master bathroom, *especially* if people have to walk through your bedroom to get to it.

Jenzilla

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 05:13:35 PM »
Whoops.

We hosted our reception in our own home (about 70 people, I think), and I didn't even consider the fact that there was only one bathroom downstairs. But apparently it wasn't an issue, there was never a line or anything like that, and I never heard about any problems.

If there's people coming who haven't been to your house and won't know where the bathroom is, telling people as Behindbj suggested, or maybe putting a sign on the door to make it easy to find might be a good idea. You might also have the master bathroom ready just in case of emergencies or something, but I think you should be fine with the one bathroom.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 05:21:47 PM »
I would also advise you to have plenty of toilet paper on hand, a toilet plunger nearby, and maybe a candle burning or air freshener at hand in the bathroom.

rosiecat

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »
Agree with Kingsrings - have plenty of extra supplies on hand.

I also would not want people going thru my bedroom to use the master bath.  Maybe close relatives (like nephews); but not everyone.

Probably too late to get one, but how about a port-a-potty.  Before everyone goes ewwww....  we went to cousin's wedding last summer.  At a friend's mansion.  But you weren't allowed inside - you had to use the outdoor john.

This outdoor facility was unbelievable!  It was twice the size of my "small" bathroom, decorated beautifully - had extra soaps, towels, plants and even a small sofa.  I never saw anything like it!

Must've cost a fortune, but we were pleasantly surprised!

Saki_Fiz

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 05:47:08 PM »
Will there be drinking at the party?  If so, as horrible as this sounds, you may want to lock up the master bedroom if you don't want people using that restroom.  Someone with a few too many may forget their manners and try to find the extra bathroom.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 05:50:25 PM »
I'm seconding the recommendation for a port-a-potty.  One bathroom for 80 people may not be enough.

Hopefull

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 11:32:52 PM »
I am goign to echo what the above poser said.................... 1 potty + 80 people = one big disaster!!!

really you should get a porta potty. IT will help out emencely.

BTW I would keep my masterbath off limits too. Too many thing that can get "borrowed"
I felt this thrill going up my leg!

Summrs

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 12:11:15 AM »
Remember also, that at a BBQ where there's drinking, the guys can (and usually do) use the bushes if there's a secluded enough area and your yard is big enough.  Just a thought :)

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 02:21:27 PM »
Well, I worried for nothing.  No disaster to report, Thank God!  Yay!   ;D

As soon as people arrived, I pointed out the location of the bathroom.  (thanks for that advice!)  Since there was a huge gathering, it seemed that most people knew better than to wait 'till the last minute' to head to the bathroom.  Never a line.  Amazingly.

And no...people don't pee in our bushes. We don't have those kinds of BBQ's.  LOL  Yes, there was some alcohol but the drinking was purely social.  A beer or a glass of wine.  Pretty simple. 

I had the BEST guests and we had such a great time.   

Thanks for the advice everyone!  :)

Summrs

Re: Bathroom situation--advice needed *updated*
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 06:42:51 AM »
YAY!  Congrats!