Author Topic: Resetting To Factory Issue Is NOT A confindence Builder, Mr. Tech Support  (Read 1628 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
I had a micro SD card get corrupted and the same sequence of events is starting to occur with the Nook Color and my new(er) micro SD card.  The Barnes & Noble store employee at the Nook kiosk didn't know what to make of the description of the error messages and so forth..........so it was suggested that I call the help desk.

I thought I had warranty left until May 2012 (sloppy note taking - it was March 2012 - so I may end up having paid for the "help" but I should have asked before I got into the details of what happened...........).  But I'm not risking my larger (and more expensive to replace) micro SD card until I find out whether or not the reset to factory isssue did anything..........

I've been told to reboot my computer many times (and if the issue is that the computer won't turn on in the first place, then my confidence that the first level tech knows how to deal with the reported problem also shrivels away - but that was within warranty so the computer ended up being repaired for FREE).

My Nook Color was working fairly well with seven thousand plus books (Project Gutenberg classics and out of print books, free or cheap Google books, and the Baen Free Library from Fifth Imporiam - love sci fi & fantasy, as my user name *might* indicate). 

I am now side loading those to the Nook Color again, typing in the 16 place password for my wi-fi encryptian, and grousing to myself that I can't really tell YET if this helped or is just making me have to enter everything again! 

Are there any IT types out there who can tell me if resetting something to the factory issue really does resolve problems - or is it really the brushoff that it seemed to me the last few times I got told to do it............only to have it NOT resolve my issue.

A new hard drive, a new power supply, a new motherboard, and a new monitor did fix the issue - depending on which laptop or desktop computer got sent back for repairs.............the new monitor was something that I got off eBay because the computer was out of warranty before VorGuy complained to me about his monitor had started to burn out in vertical white stripes down the center which got wider & wider...........until he couldn't SEE any more............but he didn't mention it while it was still under warranty...............which is a VorGuy issue and not a Tech Support issue. 

The etiquette qestion is "was this really supposed to be Tech Support" or was it a "brush off"?  Because this morning, it really feels like I got told the equivalent of "take two aspirin and call me in the morning". 

I'm staring at the Nook and wondering whether or not to bother setting up an SD card or just side load everything that will fit to the on-board memory..............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Namárië

If the corruption is software-based, then rolling back to factory issue (or to before there was actually corruption) usually solves the problem pretty neatly.

I guess it is somewhat of a brush off like the "take two aspirin," in the sense that it works sometimes and is a pretty good step, so why not try it first?

btw, I highly recommend googling all of the errors you receive to see what other people do to fix it, and if their solutions worked. It always is more effective than dealing with tech support, who can't see your screen and are probably working off of a script.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
I've been Googling - so far none of the options have worked to unbrick the micro SD (no such thing as an SC card) card.  Since this thing is the size of a fingernail or a doll house shingle, would another term than "brick" be more descriptive?

I'm starting to wonder if any tech types would like to have it to see if they can fix it - or if it would make an interesting dangle from an earring wire..............
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:59:05 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?