Author Topic: Do you love your crockpot?  (Read 28640 times)

Snooks

Re: Do you love your crockpot?
« Reply #390 on: April 01, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »
Sounds yummy.  I've just inherited my grandparents' slow cooker (after it sat in my parents' garage for 20 odd years) and I love it.  It works brilliantly for us because DH gets home later than me and not always at the same time so I don't have to try and time dinner too precisely and we can eat shortly after him getting in.  I picked up a cheap recipe book so I've been doing things from that but I'll keep an eye on this thread too now.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #391 on: April 02, 2012, 01:23:22 AM »
Maria, ummm....YUM! That sounds delicious!  I'm going to have to try it.

I'm glad you revived the thread. :) I need some new ideas for my crockpot!

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #392 on: April 02, 2012, 02:26:07 AM »
Maria, ummm....YUM! That sounds delicious!  I'm going to have to try it.

I'm glad you revived the thread. :) I need some new ideas for my crockpot!

I was almost blown away by just HOW good it was. Let me know how you like it?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

POF

« Reply #393 on: April 02, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »
This is ON MY LIST ! yummmmm Maria thanks for sharing

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #394 on: April 02, 2012, 11:37:32 AM »
Dear e-hellions:

I am seeking a casual recipe that someone posted and hope you can help. It was in a crock pot--not necessarily this thread though I think it was-- and it was just something the poster threw together including beef stew meat, frozen apple juice, cinnamon, celery, potatoes, and carrots.

I can't find it!. I had printed out the recipe, took it to the store to pick up a couple of ingredients I didn't have, and now it is gone. Can anyone remember this? I am lost, and I really have a craving for it.

It's in the cookbook project folder:

From Slartibartfast:
In a crock pot, cut to bite-sized pieces and mix

1 lb. beef
a few carrots
one small onion or half a large one
three or four stalks of celery
2-3 potatoes
2 peeled apples, preferably a type that cooks well (like Fuji)

Add one can of frozen apple juice, and just enough water to cover everything that's in there.  Throw in 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and cook until dinnertime (varies by crock pot type and how hot it is).

The resulting beef stew is just a little bit sweet, and the beef, onion, and celery especially pick up the apple cinnamon taste.  It also reheats well!

Amara

« Reply #395 on: April 02, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
Oh, thank you! Thank you so much!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #396 on: April 18, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »
I liked this thread.  Wanted to bump it back up for more ideas!

Snooks

« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2012, 04:25:01 AM »
I'm a total crockpot convert!  Four out of my five meals this week have come from a crockpot.  On Tuesday I had to make a meat sauce for pasta, yesterday I had a chicken jalfrazi, today I've got a slow cook pork chili waiting for me when I get home and tomorrow I'll be have a chicken and sausage risotto.  Oh and on Sunday I had a lamb casserole from it.

I prefer recipes where I just throw everything in and leave it but the chili sauce had to be boiled up so I did the majority last night, heated it on the hob this morning and then put it in the crockpot.  What's the general concensus on having to precook meat before it goes in, does anyone else bother?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #398 on: April 19, 2012, 04:44:29 AM »
What's the general concensus on having to precook meat before it goes in, does anyone else bother?

I used to, but now that I've gotten more familiar with my crockpot I tend to not bother. I made a delicious chicken and bean soup the other day (recipe at http://52weeks-52recipes.blogspot.com/ ) which called for the chicken to be browned before transferred to the crockpot. I decided to skip that step and it turned out fantastic :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #399 on: April 19, 2012, 09:12:44 AM »
I like to sear the outside of red meat or pork if I'm doing a roast in the crock pot.  I'll do that either on the BBQ or in a frying pan.  I just like the extra flavour.  I certainly don't cook it, though.

I haven't been really adventurous with mine yet, though.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario