Author Topic: The Only Thing I Could Do...  (Read 6443 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: The Only Thing I Could Do...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 10:27:45 AM »
My Science teacher yelled so hard in my ear that he burst my ear drum.  ITA,some people really should not be teachers!  >:(   OP, it sounds to me as though your teacher did actually have a lot of respect for your writing and thought you had talent. That goes no way to excusing her behaviour - she was intimidating and unnecessarily so. She's clearly got issues, you dealt with that just fine!  :)

No, she just wanted to take credit for having a smart student, probably. And the way she did it felt like an intimidation technique - who seriously grips a kid's arm (to be fair, I was almost 18, but still) while talking about them normally?
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »
My Science teacher yelled so hard in my ear that he burst my ear drum.  ITA,some people really should not be teachers!  >:(   OP, it sounds to me as though your teacher did actually have a lot of respect for your writing and thought you had talent. That goes no way to excusing her behaviour - she was intimidating and unnecessarily so. She's clearly got issues, you dealt with that just fine!  :)

No, she just wanted to take credit for having a smart student, probably. And the way she did it felt like an intimidation technique - who seriously grips a kid's arm (to be fair, I was almost 18, but still) while talking about them normally?

Never thought of it that way... :( I thought over enthusiastic and inappropriate...
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »
I am really enjoying following this topic and probably will eventually contribute, but I am afraid it is getting off the topic of "complete silence".  Would anyone object to asking a mod to move this thread to "time for a coffee break" (or whereever else the mod might find appropriate) so we don't end up getting a very good thread locked? I'm not the OP so I didn't want to overstep my bounds here, but I'd really like to not lose this thread as it's going and I don't think it would be of benefit to "just get it back on track" as IMHO we have exhausted that aspect of it.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »
I've "reported" it to see if it should be moved.  We'll see if it can, so it can be kept open. :)

whatsanenigma

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »
Great, thanks!

snowflake

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »
Silence is the best response.

My mother has a mental illness.  She had good years and bad years and everyone knew it during the bad ones.  I want to say for the record that she was a PAIN to reason with/ work with/ etc.  I have a couple of older siblings and they knew from the start that I was the crazy woman's daughter.  I'm sure some of my old teachers would find the SS thread and post to no end about my mother.

That said, I still don't get why some of the teachers took it out on me.  Twenty years later, I've worked a few years as an aide in a "special" classroom and I've fostered children of the mentally incompetent.  So I really do get it that some adults can't function in the world and drive you up the wall.  And yeah, I know that society is not interested in paying people enough to deal with them.  But really?

But why the heck would you take it out on the children???

The only answer I could find (after seeing this cycle repeated) was that some teachers still want to be popular.  So they'll go along with whatever the crowd thinks so they don't look like a responsible kill-joy. 

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
Never had a teacher be mean to me per se, but one was used as part of my abuse.

We had a long-term sub in 8th grade science.  She didn't care for me and was tired of me whispering to my one friend (in practically the whole school lol) so she made me change seats and sit up at a table in front of her desk, with my back to the rest of the class.

Well this just made my tormentors absolutely gleeful in that they could pick on me all class long.  They started asking her if she liked bacon, pork chops, etc.  She'd respond "yes" and then they'd say something like "well there's a big ol' one sitting right there!!"  (I was fat and have a pug nose)  I don't know if she ever figured out what they were doing - she usually just rolled her eyes or ignored them - but I'd usually just sit there and cry.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
I hate that we have to have this thread. :(  I wish none of this had happened to everyone here and that there wasn't even a reason for the thread to begin with.

Hijinks, that's just so wrong. :(  I wish I could hug that 8th grader in you.

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »
I had a second grade teacher who was so very horrible.  I'll call her Mrs. Frankenstein, because she was a monster to me and because her last name is similiar.
She never had a pleasant word to say to me.  I have no idea why.  Honestly, I can remember thinking "what did I ever do to you lady?" every time she made a snide remark. 
For Spelling class you had to write a sentence containing the words for the week.  She would read from my paper and then comment "no" or "that is ridiculous" just really snotty comments.  It never occurred to me to say anything to anybody about it.  I just thought she was *mean* and figured I could escape from her class when I went on the third grade.
When my Mom went to conferences she would tell me all the positive things Mrs. F had said and that Mrs. F thought I was a very good student.  So, She was smiling and saying nice things to my Mom but then acting ridiculous to me all day, every day.
When Mrs. Frankenstein retired I was in high school.  Each class was asked to write a memory of her for a book the school was presenting as a gift.  I flat out refused.  I can remember the school secretary calling me and asking for my contribution.  I told her no way.  When she asked me why I told her that Mrs. F was hands down the meanest, rudest, nastiest teacher I had ever had to endure and there was no way I was participating in creating a gift for her.  The secretary was silent for a moment and then said, "ok"
I secretly hoped that my words somehow got back to Mrs. F but I have no idea if the did or not.

I am sad that others had endured the mean actions of their teachers.  It just should never happen to any kid, ever.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Cami

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »
When I was in kindergarten, I had a teacher whose only interaction with  living creatures should have been slopping hogs. Vicious young woman. She loathed me.  My mother had told her that I didn't do naps, but I woud lie quietly on my blanket. The woman exploded and insisted that all of her kids would sleep.  My mother pointed out that you cannot actually force someone to sleep. So when it was naptime, she would stand over me, tap her foot and hiss, "Are you asleep? Are you? You need to sleep. I'm not  leaving until you sleep. What's wrong with you? You're not normal." When we had treats, we would always "run out" of them before she got to me. When it was time for show and tell, I always had to go last and we always ran out of time before it was my turn.  When the entire class would win a prize, she'd announce, "Everyone gets a prize except for Cami. She never deserves a prize because she's a bad bad girl." One time I had a massive ear infection and started to cry because it hurt so badly. She refused to let me go to the nurse until other kids in the class started to cry in sympathy with me and a boy basically started to yell at her for being mean. Then she shoved me out the door and told me, "Get away, you big crybaby. Go cry cry cry somewhere else."  Her name was Miss Hoffman and I hope she's roasting somewhere toasty.

Note that my parents never believed me about her. My father was bamboozled by the fact that she was a young and pretty female who was always flirting with him. My mother... who knows?

When my dd was in 2nd grade, she was put into a classroom with a teacher everyone hated. I didn't know it because we were new to the town. She was HORRIBLE. A horrible human being, who  like my kindergarten teacher, should not be allowed around living creatures.  The good thing was that she picked on almost everyone -- an equal opportunity bully. But she ended up not picking on my dd because I told dd to talk back to her and if there was a problem, I'd go to the mattresses for her on it.  Interestingly, when my dd started to talk back to her, the woman totally backed down and then was sweet as pie to her.

Clareish

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 04:32:02 PM »
I never really had any really bad teachers. I do remember a french teacher who gave us lists and lists of verb conjugations, and then we had to take weekly tests on them. If you got perfect, you could sit out the remaining tests for the year. I have a horrible memory for language. Guess who got to write the last few weeks worth of tests all by herself in a class of 30 while the other students got to play games and have snacks? That was grade 8. Funny thing was, I did like that teacher, just not his style.

The worst thing I have experienced is seeing teachers who should not be teachers in my university placements. I have never been placed under their supervision, but you see them with their students in the class and wonder why they ever decided on this career when it is clear they actively dislike kids? Even more upsetting, their behaviour is rarely a shock to the other teachers or administrators. In my province, the teachers unions are so strict and difficult, that it is pretty impossible to fire a teacher. Problem teachers might get shifted to another school, but that's about it. There's really nothing that can be done, and it is so incredibly frustrating watching kids get treated this way. (for the record, I'm not talking about physical abuse, but rather no patience with children, no understanding of learning styles, etc.)

doodlemor

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 05:18:09 PM »
I also became a teacher partly in reaction to being treated poorly by a teacher.  I can remember when I was a little girl thinking that when I grew up I would be a *nice*teacher. 

Her name was Miss Gong, and she must have been an incredibly unhappy person.  She specialized in making her first and second graders stand beside their desks while she yelled and ridiculed and *balled them out.*  Any child who made a comment in self defense was yelled at more.  For some offenses the child would be subjected to this more than once a day over a period of several days.  Her comments[interrogations]  were cutting and cruel.  I remember being reprimanded for things my *brother* did, for goodness sake.  At some point in my teens I read about living in a totalitarian society, and realized that Miss Gong's classroom had been like that.

There were no controls on this woman, as she was also the building principal of a small school.  The other teacher in the building was basically kind, but Miss Gong tended to enter her classroom and do the whole sadistic routine for many of the "offenses" committed there.  Unfortunately I was in that small school for five years, grades 1 - 5, and thought of teachers as enemies when I left.

I did do a mischievous thing to get even with her *pet* when I was in second grade.  There was one little girl who was a family friend of Miss Gong, and used to call her Aunt Gert even though they were not blood relatives.

After our Art class we were required to clean up the little scraps of paper and blobs of old fashioned paste from the floor around our desks.  Then we had to *sit tall* and straight with our hands folded.  One day I cleaned my area and sat in the approved way, only to be yelled at for leaving scraps and paste under my desk. 

As Miss Gong yelled at me that day I realized that she was fallible, that she could be wrong.  The little pile under my desk was in the exact shape that a child's hand uses when scootching a little pile of scraps and paper together to pick up off the floor.  I was really surprised that Miss Gong didn't realize this, but didn't dare tell her.  It was obvious to me that someone had planted the mess under my desk.

Her favorite pet, Harriet, sat beside me.  As I stood there being yelled at and ridiculed she sat very tall and didn't look my way.  I decided, rightly or wrongly, that Harriet had set me up.

The next time we did cutting and pasting in Art I waited until Harriet was done cleaning her area, and was sitting tall with her hands folded looking straight ahead.  Then I carefully tossed all of my paper scraps and paste blobs under her desk, being careful to distribute them evenly in case Miss Gong had figured out about the hand shape thing.

Harriet did get reprimanded, but not nearly as hard as everyone else always did.  I can still remember her saying, "But Aunt Gert....."

Miss Gong finally did get some just desserts, of a sort.  When I was in college a little boy was in her classroom who came from a very sad background.  When he used inappropriate language she literally *washed his mouth out with soap.*  I don't know all the details - the whole situation ended being headlines in our small town newspaper.  Miss Gong apparently washed his mouth out several times.  One morning the poor little 5 or 6 year old decided not to go to school, and he started walking the other way.  Someone who sighted him on the highway several miles out of town was concerned enough to stop and check on him, and the whole terrible story became front page news.

Miss Gong didn't lose her job immediately, but she did retire at the end of the year.  I never did hear any backstairs gossip about the whole thing, so I don't know what all of the repercussions may have been for the school district.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »
I had a fourth grade teacher who hated me so much that other kids noticed and consoled me. 

Funny thing, she married some VIP.   Our city had a downtown mall where the high school kids hung out after school.  There was  a portrait studio, where Hateful Teacher's family portrait was among the display photos on the wall.   Someone had taken a pen and poked the eyes out on her picture.

I felt vindicated, I wasn't alone. :)

Soprych

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »
I attended a Catholic school and for whatever reason Sister Mary Kenneth - may her poor tormented soul rot in hell - hated me.  I broken my left arm and she took it personally, somehow it was because I did not want to learn to print nicely.  Because of my tongue is very large, think Gene Simmons, I spoke with a pronounced lisp, Sister Mary Kenneth felt it was because I was pretending to be tweet bird.   Worse I committed the ultimate cardinal sin that a first grader could commit.  I could read.

I did have my "I did the only thing I could do moment".  I cannot drink milk.  I told Sister that so she gave me chocolate milk and a tuna fish sandwich.  I told her I can't eat or drink this but she would hear none of that.  I eat it told sister I didn't feel well promptly walked to the front of the room and projectile vomited all over her.  It truly was the only thing I could do.  I never had to drink milk or eat tuna again though.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »
I had a second grade teacher who was so very horrible.  I'll call her Mrs. Frankenstein, because she was a monster to me and because her last name is similiar.

You had Mrs Fronkensteen too?