Author Topic: Turkey Burgers?  (Read 2983 times)

LB

Re: Turkey Burgers?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 10:52:23 AM »
Ooh, now this is intriguing. I've had a bison burger once in my life, but I've never noticed it available in the grocery stores. Do you order it from somewhere? I'll have to do some looking. What makes it healthier than turkey?

NyaChan, thank you for the options, those all sound great too!

There are quite a few places online where you can buy bison (and elk, venison, etc.); just Google for it. However, be prepared to be surprised at the price for good cuts. My local grocery stores carry ground bison in 1 pound packages at $8-10, and the Army commissary I shop at has small prepackaged bison steaks for similar prices. I don't eat cow, so when I get a craving for red meat I go with this.

You can sub bison straight up for beef in recipes; the flavor is very close. The only thing to watch out for is bison's leanness. There's not a lot of fat so it's easy to overcook.

I'll have to look online, thanks. That is pretty expensive, but I may just have to get some to try it out. At that price, it probably won't be a weekly addition to my shopping list, but I'd like to look at it as an option to have once in a while.

Is the leanness the only thing that makes it healthier than beef? Or are the raising/farming/feeding differences a factor also? I'm very curious about this.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »
With Bison leanness is definitely a big part of the "healthier" factor but being grass fed and pasture raised has a lot to do with it as well. I won't get too far into details because it can touch on politics but most US beef cattle are 'finished' at feedlots (aka CAFO's) whereas most Bison graze until ready for slaughter (I believe Ted Turner's Bison are an exception to this general rule though...)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:41:01 PM by WillyNilly »

exitzero

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
I don't do anything fancy with them. Sometimes I'll add some curry powder and toasted sesame seeds, or some chopped mushrooms.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »
Ooh, now this is intriguing. I've had a bison burger once in my life, but I've never noticed it available in the grocery stores. Do you order it from somewhere? I'll have to do some looking. What makes it healthier than turkey?

There are quite a few places online where you can buy bison (and elk, venison, etc.); just Google for it. However, be prepared to be surprised at the price for good cuts. My local grocery stores carry ground bison in 1 pound packages at $8-10, and the Army commissary I shop at has small prepackaged bison steaks for similar prices. I don't eat cow, so when I get a craving for red meat I go with this.

You can sub bison straight up for beef in recipes; the flavor is very close. The only thing to watch out for is bison's leanness. There's not a lot of fat so it's easy to overcook.

All the supermarkets in my area now carry bison.  I'd check with your meat department and see if they can get it for you.  My teens prefer bison burgers over ground beef, though my husband believes it's too lean by alone and prefers a burger of 3 parts bison to 1 part 80/20 beef.

National Bison Association has standards that prohibit the use of hormones and requires the animails to be mostly grass fed so I will look for their seal if buying prepackaged meat. The meat is lower in fat that skinless chicken and higher in iron an B12 than beef, pork, and chicken.

No, I have no interest in the industry.  Just hoping that a greater demand will drive the cost down. 

LB

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 04:33:33 PM »

All the supermarkets in my area now carry bison.  I'd check with your meat department and see if they can get it for you.  My teens prefer bison burgers over ground beef, though my husband believes it's too lean by alone and prefers a burger of 3 parts bison to 1 part 80/20 beef.

National Bison Association has standards that prohibit the use of hormones and requires the animails to be mostly grass fed so I will look for their seal if buying prepackaged meat. The meat is lower in fat that skinless chicken and higher in iron an B12 than beef, pork, and chicken.

No, I have no interest in the industry.  Just hoping that a greater demand will drive the cost down.

Wow, I had a really hard time believing this when I read it (sorry), but Google has proved you right.  :)

I found a website for a place in the next state over (and if I'd thought about it, I could have expected that). Their bulk ground bison is even more expensive than what is mentioned here, but I think I may order some this week and give it a try.

Chip2

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »
With Bison leanness is definitely a big part of the "healthier" factor but being grass fed and pasture raised has a lot to do with it as well. I won't get too far into details because it can touch on politics but most US beef cattle are 'finished' at feedlots (aka CAFO's) whereas most Bison graze until ready for slaughter (I believe Ted Turner's Bison are an exception to this general rule though...)

Like others have mentioned hormones are not allowed to be used on bison, and most producers won't use antibiotics on them either. It's also very low in cholesterol as well.

One thing that might surprise you, though, is the odor of fresh bison meat; it's a bit on the gamey side. That's because bison are almost exclusively grass-fed, so the meat will smell "off" compared to a grain-finished cow's. But grass-fed cow will have the same odor as bison.

I season bison burgers with just salt and pepper, but I like to rub bison steaks with mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, and cocoa, then grill or pan-sear them.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 09:52:50 PM »
Hey just wanted to update with a price on bison - I just did a BJ's run (wholesale store, like Costco) and got 4lbs (2 - 2lb packages together) of ground bison for $14.99.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 05:08:57 PM »
Greek Burgers

1/2 cup feta
1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp crushed mint
1/2 tsp. Black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1lb ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef, lamb, pork)

Combine the ingredients well. Form 4 patties (8 if doing sliders) and broil, fry or grill as desired.

I serve these in pita bread with arugala, red onion, tomatoes and a cucumber yogurt sauce.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »
Greek Burgers

1/2 cup feta
1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp crushed mint
1/2 tsp. Black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1lb ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef, lamb, pork)

Combine the ingredients well. Form 4 patties (8 if doing sliders) and broil, fry or grill as desired.

I serve these in pita bread with arugala, red onion, tomatoes and a cucumber yogurt sauce.

These sound fantastic!  And the garlic, mint and oregano are almost ready to go in my herb garden, despite how early it is.  I'm going to have to try these.

Edited to add an errant d.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:16:59 PM by Outdoor Girl »
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 06:01:45 PM »
I made them Friday. So yummy! DH hates olives but he eats these.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 07:20:38 PM »
Hey just wanted to update with a price on bison - I just did a BJ's run (wholesale store, like Costco) and got 4lbs (2 - 2lb packages together) of ground bison for $14.99.

That sounds about what I pay, it's $6.99 per 2 pound package at my grocery store here.  I have seen them at $8.99 over at the organic stores.