Author Topic: Good Friday - Holiday or not?  (Read 4034 times)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
Good Friday - Holiday or not?
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:17:48 PM »
Here in Australia, Good Friday is a Federally gazetted public holiday. I didn't actually go out yesterday, but no one works (unless they're in an Emergency Service or hospital) All businesses shut and most people go away. Monday is also a holiday, giving us a 4 day weekend!

What's it like where you are? Is it a normal day of business, or is a public holiday?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:36:45 AM by oz diva »

Victoria

JennJenn68

Re: Good Friday
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:20:41 PM »
Here in Canada, it's one of the few statutory holidays when almost everything (barring restaurants) are shut tight.  Even the restaurants are slow because they have trouble finding servers to work the shifts.

Mind you, this is in Ontario.  I wouldn't like to speak for other provinces.  (Yes, there can be that much of a difference.  Geographically, we're a fairly large country!)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: Good Friday - Holiday or not?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 04:00:54 AM »
It is a Bank Holiday in the UK. When I was a child pretty much everything was closed, now more and more places are open.
NE England

DuBois

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:28:20 AM »

It is a bank holiday in the UK, but nothing closes except banks.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 06:53:05 AM »
Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Monday are all holidays in Denmark. Pretty much everything closes down.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Frostblooded

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:51:50 AM »
In the United States here. It is not a Federal holiday. However, some states, counties, and cities still observe it. Businesses will close early or something to that affect, though I visited the bank just fine yesterday at its usual hours.  :D Religious schools might observe it, but I have no experience with this. Some universities and schools may include it in spring break, but again, no personal experience with that.

The financial and stock market are closed, that's about the only thing I can think of outside localities/states observing it. My city didn't observe it, that's for sure.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 07:56:25 AM »
In my school district it is one of our paid days off - probably because so many students were missing that we couldn't count the day as a day of school anyway.  We do not get the Monday following Easter off.

Some places change their hours a bit.  I know several people who attend church services so it is not just a holiday but a religious day for many in the US.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 08:25:55 AM »
In Connecticut, schools close. But the state university stays open. Government offices are mostly closed. Business offices? Depends on the company--most stay open, but a few will close. Stores stay open. I worked for the state for a time, but in a job that was considered "essential" so we had to stay open on Good Friday. As a result, I earned a "floating holiday" that I could take as a paid day off at any time.

Most states don't have any sort of recognition of Good Friday.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:47:09 AM »
Texas, USA (this is a state thing here)

State offices - is one of a couple of optional holidays for government offices. Most close down. Many school districts make it a 4 day week because people travel. They aren't being nice just to be nice - schools are paid $X per student attending each day. Having school open on a day you know will be a high absentee day cost $$$$ and affects you AYP score from the federal government.

Private businesses - Were open yesterday and will be open today. Some will be closed Sunday, some will have shorter hours.

Side note  - Since I started at my district in 2001, Good Friday has been a bad weather day. TEA waived us making up missed days for Rita and Ike - in part because that would have delayed school getting out for over a week. Which would have cost our tourism industry $$$$$ in both attendance and low cost teenage labor. (tourism industry actually dictates our opening and closing of school dates)

So last year all unholy hell broke out when we had to make up an ice day on good Friday. You would have thought our superintendent was desecrating churches, instead of having school. It wasn't the parents - they just said We have plans/plane tickets my kid will be absent. The teachers were literally having temper tantrums in the halls. The district would let you take a discretionary day off but you had to get approval from your principal. Principals were just confirming there would be a sub available, before approving. Well some people waited till the last minute and no more subs were available. Cue SS teachers gashing their teeth.

For some reason I kept being waylayed by these people. I just kept telling them there is no constitutional requirement to close the schools on your religious holidays, but if you want to discuss actual violations of SCOTUS rulings on the establishment clause by our district lets start with convocation. They fled and the the other teachers just laughed. No one could understand why the complainers thought I would be sympathetic. 

This year they switched the bad weather day. Now Good Friday is DMA day. (you get it off if you have taken 8 hours of training off the clock) and Easter Monday is our bad weather day.

The other traditional bad weather day is Memorial Day. Schools that have had to use it in the past few years have been picketed by the VFW. So you really can't win.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 10:07:57 AM »
I'm in NYC.  Good Friday isn't a legal holiday here, although public schools will be closed for Spring break.

Every place I've worked has had three 'swing days' added to regular vacation time.  These are fully paid days that can be taken for religious or personal observances.  Because NYC is so diverse, this makes sense. 

I attended a Catholic high school.  There, classes ended on the Wednesday before Easter.  School remained closed the following week. 

katycoo

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 10:23:22 AM »
Here in Australia, Good Friday is a Federally gazetted public holiday. I didn't actually go out yesterday, but no one works (unless they're in an Emergency Service or hospital) All businesses shut and most people go away. Monday is also a holiday, giving us a 4 day weekend!

What's it like where you are? Is it a normal day of business, or is a public holiday?

Most food service and pubs are open, and service stations too.  I was at the pub for dinner- plenty of people out, plenty of staff taking the double-time-and-a-half pay!

I think retail is open on Easter Monday.  and after 12 on Sunday?  SUpermarkets I think anyway...

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »
I'm in Canada too - I'm pretty sure Good Friday is a stat holiday in every province.

Easter Sunday and Easter Monday aren't stat holidays - although a lot of people do get the Monday off.  Anything government-oriented (including schools) is closed - for everything else I'd say it's about 50/50.

penelope2017

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 05:59:23 PM »
In the U.S., the stock market is closed on Good Friday. I'd assume any related businesses will also be closed. As far as I know that only happens a few time a year. I'd call it a holiday.

Bethczar

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 08:50:52 PM »
Wisconsin here - not much closes here for any Easter-related days.

About 15 years ago, when I first moved to Madison, the bank that I worked at closed from noon to 3 pm on Good Friday. One year, some people complained that we got off for a religious holiday, so we didn't din't get it off anymore. That pissed me off no end.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
Wisconsin here - not much closes here for any Easter-related days.

About 15 years ago, when I first moved to Madison, the bank that I worked at closed from noon to 3 pm on Good Friday. One year, some people complained that we got off for a religious holiday, so we didn't din't get it off anymore. That pissed me off no end.

I don't know if they do it any more, but there used to be a Catholic service on Good Friday called the 'Three Hours' Agony'.  I think we kids interpreted the name in a different way from our parents.  :)