Author Topic: Neighbors Cat Won't Stay out of my Yard  (Read 9175 times)

StillandSilent

Neighbors Cat Won't Stay out of my Yard
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:04:53 AM »
Let me start by saying that I know there are places in the world where it is normal and acceptable for cats to roam free.  I do not live in one of these places.  I should also say that I live in an apartment, so the yard is not technicaly mine, though the cat in question does not belong to anyone else in the apartments either.  These are ranch style apartments, so every one opens up right in to the yard.

About a year ago, I noticed an intact male cat roaming around on the property, peeing in my bushes and antagonizing my dogs.  I asked around and found the owner a street over.  I asked her nicely to keep her cat up, and she said she would.

Fast forward a few months, and Puss is back.  I brought him home again, but now Puss has to stay outside because he sprays.  She will not consider neuthering Puss.  Whatever, not my problem.

Except it is.  My little front yard reeks of unneutered cat pee, which is bad enough, but his presence has caused my own female cat to have two false pregnancies, complete with the hiding and nursing of imaginary kittens, as well as a temperment from hades.  After speaking to the vet, she confirmed that, though rare, it is possible for a spayed female, especially a young on one like Chesh, to be sent into a false pregnancy by an unneutered males phermones/hormones.  This in unhealthy for her.

If this was a stray cat, I would have animal control pick him up and be done with it, but he isn't.  He has a home, and he is loved by his owner.  However, speakint to her owner has produced no results.

If I have Puss picked up by animal control, she's going to suspect who did it.  Should I have it done anyway? 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Neighbors Cat Won't Stay out of my Yard
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:12:23 AM »
I absolutely would call animal control.  Besides the problem her cat is causing you and your animals it could get hit or attacked by another animal if it wanders free.  Letting it continue to do so is not a favor to her or the animal, regardless of what she believes.

rain

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:14:30 AM »
I would contact animal control to ask what your options are.   I would also ask if there was an assistance program for neutering (there is in my area). 

I love animals (2 cats + a dog) :(  I have various neighbors who don't control their dogs.  First time I was walking my dog on a leash & loose dogs got aggressive I was screaming "control you dogs", next time I called police - its never happend again.

Maybe animal control would be willing to pay cat owner a vist; but owner's not being responsible - if the cats had papers/pedigree, he shouldn't be roaming free; otherwise he should be fixed
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »
There's an entire neighborhood of people who would call animal control.
Why do you care if she suspects you? You'll have tons of company.

And you once went to the trouble to find her--so that might actually make you less of a suspect.

I say, call Animal Control. Rain's idea of getting info, etc., first might be a good idea. Though if you do pass on info to her about neutering assistance, and then you later resort to calling animal control, you might move higher on the suspect list.

But I still don't know why you care--this isn't a near neighbor or a personal friend.

You could also call Animal Control, and then AFTER the cat is picked up, you can go to her and tell her you saw him being picked up, and that you spoke to the officer, and he mentioned that the cat needed to be neutered, so you got her some info, so that she can get him back. Then you're the hero!

catgal

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »
What an annoying situation.  There are many people who don't understand why it is important to desex cats.  I saw it too often when I worked in animal welfare. This owner says she loves her cat, but isn't doing enough to keep him safe, which is what you do when loving a pet.  Seriously, cat has to stay outside cos he sprays, but she won't get him desexed  ::) Poor cat.  This cat is coming into your yard and upsetting your cat and your enjoyment of your own yard.  He lives a street away and anything could happen to him while he is roaming.  My advise is to contact Animal Control or near animal shelter and ask what to do.  The owner has ignored you but maybe she won't ignore someone in authority. It would be helping the poor cat out in the long run.

Disclosure - I love animals and have two boys cats, both desexed and have put mesh on the fence of our back yard so they can't out.  I figure that just because I love my boys, doesn't mean my neighbours should have to.  We are also mad enough to walk the boys on harnesses to the park across the road a couple of times a day.
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:41:53 AM »
I've heard people have good luck with burying citrus peels in the yard, you could see if your landlord would mind you "fertilizing" the flower bed with some.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »
Could you put Cayenne pepper down on the border of your yard to keep the cat out? You should call animal control. I like the idea of telling neighbor you saw the cat picked up so she can go get him.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »
I would tell her one more time that for all the reasons you posted in your post, that you will call animal control if you see him one more time in your yard.

Tell her you understand that she doesn't want him in her home but you don't want him either in YOUR yard.

That way she is forewarned.

Then you can call with a clear conscience.

Mikayla

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »
Another vote for an anonymous call to animal control, followed by the fake "save".   She may love her pet, but she's being very irresponsible with him (given that you say this isn't a good area to let pets roam). 

I also didn't know that about young spayed females and fake pregnancies.  You may have solved a puzzling issue for me.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 12:42:06 PM »
Yep, animal control.

I would not hesitate to call.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 12:58:46 PM »
Please PLEASE for this poor cat;s own safety, call animal control.   Being allowed to roam is unsafe for  cats in more ways than I can name, not to mention I'm sure your yard isn't the only one he's sprayed.  If she actually loves her cat, she will have him neutered and contain him.  And I don't believe that bull puckey about cats "Needing" to be allowed to roam.  I have three cats.  All are desexed.  Two of them, the females, Tango and Mambo, show no desire to go outside; they're perfectly content to watch the world go by through the windows.  Samba, my lone boy, does like a little outside time, but he has a harness and leash, and I take him out in the yard and wander around with him...he gets his outside time without being in any danger.  Having them fixed didn't "ruin" or "change" them at all, so I don't buy that silliness either...in Mambo's case, I call having her spayed her "personality transplant" since once it was done, she went from a timid, hidey, nervous yowling thing to the sweetest little kitty anyone could ever want.

So, yes, I agree with everyone who's said call animal control.  Either that or you could call your local humane society (or animal control, they may do this in your area) and ask for a humane live trap to catch Puss and bring him in.  Regardless of what this woman thinks, not allowing Puss to roam is very much for his own good.  Not to mention the jillions of unwanted kittens that having him neutered would prevent.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Nebraska Jones

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »
Disclosure - I love animals and have two boys cats, both desexed and have put mesh on the fence of our back yard so they can't out.  I figure that just because I love my boys, doesn't mean my neighbours should have to.  We are also mad enough to walk the boys on harnesses to the park across the road a couple of times a day.

I don't have cats because I won't let them just roam the neighborhood but know I can't just keep them in my house all the time either.  I had no idea it was possible to keep them in a yard by using mesh.  Great suggestion!

Happy to hear you're a great and responsible pet owner.  :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 02:15:24 PM »
A hundred years ago when my sister was in college she lived in a shared house (not a dorm) and they had several cats.

While they wanted to let their cats outside, they didn't want them to roam freely. They planted cat-nip around the perimeter of their property. For some reason ;) the cats never went beyond the cat-nip fence.

Maybe this will work to keep neighbors cat out of your property. Along with the ideas of cayenne or citrus peels would work as a starter attempt . . . something to try before calling animal control.

Here's a few other ideas:

http://landscaping.about.com/od/pestcontrol/a/cat_repellents.htm

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_TO_KEEPING_CATS_OUT_OF_GARDENS_AND_YARDS

While I do agree that the cat should be neutered, I strongly disagree with the "trickery" mentioned above . . . calling animal control, then contacting the neighbor and playing the hero.

You returned the cat twice, right? Spoken to the neighbor with no results? I think that, if you're up to it, speak to the neighbor once again and let her know that if you see her cat in your yard you will call animal control . . . 3 strikes and you're out.

I wouldn't worry that she knows it's you who called animal control.

Aquamarine

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
You warned her once and I wouldn't bother again.  Like other have already suggested, notify animal control, if they do nothing trap the animal and take it to the pound.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 02:48:12 PM »
You might want to check if animal control will actually do anything. When my cat was lost i called animal control to see if he had been turned in and they said they don't do anything with cats. I would also check the policy of any shelter before you bring the cat in yourself. 70% of cats in shelters don't make it out alive (being killed in a shelter is the leading cause of cat deaths in the country). I am thinking of a few specific shelters that don't have a good policy for returning lost animals to owners and if your animal ever makes it there you probably will never find out about it. I would want to be 100% sure I am not giving the cat a death sentence before bringing it in someplace. I would be really tempted to bring it to a low cost spay/neuter and if ever asked say since he was roaming around someone must have figured he was a stray and did tnr on it.