Poll

As a guest, Which party would you prefer?

The (Saturday) party where the GOH leaves early, but you can relax and enjoy?
41 (44.6%)
The (Sunday) party that seems rushed where you need to leave early due to work, etc.?
40 (43.5%)
The (Saturday) brunch where Gmas have to start an early drive?
11 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: As a guest, Which party would you prefer?  (Read 3096 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: As a guest, Which party would you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 09:35:21 AM »
I think to a certain extent you are pushing your preferences on people here.  Lots of people really enjoy a Sunday afternoon-to-evening party.  Not Sunday night into the wee hours, but Sunday from 1:00 to say 8:00 pm ain't no big thang  :)  I mean sure usually I do housework, or a leisurely brunch, or cooking for the week on Sunday, but I can do some of that stuff Saturday, skip the brunch, etc.

But yeah I would feel quite ticked if I went to a graduation party and the graduate wasn't there for the majority of the party.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 10:03:13 AM »
For me, personally, I would prefer the Saturday party that wasn't rushed, even if the GOH had to leave early.  As long as I got to see her, and I knew in advance she would be leaving early, I'd be perfectly okay with that arrangement. 

marcel

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »
I think you are making assumptions for other people here, and you let these assumptions not just color your perceptions, but also color you questions in the poll/

It is your assumptions that sunday is rushed, but are you certain that this is so for others? I first read your poll, and would have answered the first option, before reading your post. for the simple reason that you claimed in the second option that it was rushed.

After reading your post, it soon became clear to me that the sunday party is not rushed at all, only that you fear that some people might bfeel rushed by this, which I think is probably not true for a lor/most people. I answered the sunday option in the end.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

stacaka4321

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »
In the area, WI, it is very normal for kids to leave their own graduation party early, although usually it is to "party hop" and go to all of their friends parties. I would vote for a Sunday party in this case since she wouldn't be leaving to go to other parties.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »

If the only people who need to travel are retired, then I'd go with Sunday. I would find it as pretty self centred and tacky for someone to leave their own party after an hour or two because they've got something that they want to do more than spend time with their guests, even for a family party.

^This 100%

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
I voted Sunday because the more people can enjoy each other; whether it's for 2 hr or 10 hr does not matter to me. A wider circle can see more people & people won't feel weird about GOH leaving her own party.

kudeebee

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
I vote for the sunday party--though if it starts at 2 p.m., I don't see where you would call that rushed.  If people stay until 8 p.m., or even 9 p.m., that is a 6-7 hour party.  Seems to me that would be plenty long.

I think it would be rude for the goh to leave her party to go to a concert.  If you want to hold it on Saturday, then I would have a brunch that runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and state that on the invitations.  Then after the official ending time, you can have any guests who want to stay, stay later.  However, the official party would be over and goh would be free to do other things.

Sounds like the gparents can either come early on Friday or leave on Monday, so that really isn't part of the equation to me.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »
Thanks, all!

I really appreciate the excellent viewpoints from everyone.

I think I'm leaning toward Sunday. Two main reasons being:

1. The tackiness of GOH leaving early. I know some said this wouldn't bother them, but I tend to feel it is on the rude side. Plus with the distraction/excitement DD#2 will probably have about the concert, she won't be able to give full attention to all of her guests.*

2. The "friend" issue, which I didn't even think about at all. True most friends are as close as family and they've been to plenty of family parties so they know the relatives, but this way she could invite other not-so-familyish friends.

I also think this would probably work out better for the Gparents. They won't feel rushed to get here.

And thanks to those that said I was projecting . . . you're right, I probably was without realizing it because I really would prefer a Saturday party.  :-\

*As far as the party being "rushed" on Sunday, thanks to your responses, I now see that DD#2 would feel more rushed with her guests if the party was on Saturday.

I'm so glad I posted. Once again you all have helped me see the individual trees within the forest.

Thanks! ;D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »
I'd start the party at noon on Saturday.  That gives your DD 3 hours with her guests which I think is sufficient and then the party morphs into a family get together for rest of the day. 

In our area, it is extremely common for graduates to be at their own party for an hour or 2 before heading off to another party or event. 

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »
How far away are the grandparents? Do they mind leaving early?  Many older people get up early anyway...so if they had to leave at, say, 8:00 to get to a 10:00 brunch party that may be no big deal to them at all.