Author Topic: Not allowed to hold the new baby  (Read 6923 times)

ILoveMyCello

Not allowed to hold the new baby
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »
Ever since my cousin had her new baby, she has been pretty nice about sharing it with others-letting everyone in the family hold it. But my grandma snatches the baby away 2 minutes after I start holding it, telling me that only mothers should be allowed to hold babies. I am seething. She did the same thing to my brother and uncle. What's a nice way of saying I'm not done holding the baby?

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
Re: Not allowed to hold the new baby
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »
Talk to your cousin about what Grandma is doing. The baby is your cousin's child, after all.

Vita brevis, ars longa

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
EvilFluffy would suggest telling her you plan on never having children, and that you're afraid of dropping her anyway. That seems a sure way of getting people to make you hold the baby.

Amava

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 05:51:40 PM »
Visit them at a different time than grandma?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 06:24:09 PM »
When you see the grandma coming, get up and walk away or turn your back while cooing at baby.  Or better yet, walk toward cousin and say, "Wow, your baby is so adorable, and sweet" or whatever compliment and see if the grandma tries to take her away in front of cousin. 

Oh Joy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 07:13:51 PM »
How about, 'I think it's Cousin's (and baby's father's, if he's in the picture) decision who they allow to hold their baby.'

weeblewobble

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »
That's insane!  What a nasty old woman. I would definitely talk to cousin and your mom/dad about how to approach this.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 10:28:47 PM »
Is grandma generally allowed to act like a 2 yo? Is entitled behavior normal for her? Do the parents know what grandma is doing? If not let them know know.  I also like the idea of walking towards the parents while cooing and complimenting the child.

Honestly she sounds unstable - especially if she is physically snatching the child that is dangerous. She shouldn't be allowed to hold the baby, if she can't act more mature than the child.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

zora19

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:23:45 AM »
POD the advice to talk to your cousin. I have a little one, and if someone was behaving like your grandma I would want to know.

Violet Devine

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 01:24:04 AM »
POD the advice to talk to your cousin. I have a little one, and if someone was behaving like your grandma I would want to know.

I agree. 

Cutenoob

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 03:31:00 AM »
My polite response to Gma would be: Excuse me, you'll need to talk to Cousin when you're ready to hold Baby.
Excuse me, I'm visiting with Baby.
I'm sorry, let me check with Cousin to see if Cousin wants Baby back.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 07:17:32 AM »
This is Grandma's passive agressive way of letting you know that it's time to get that little ole baby-maker of yours working.  ::)

POD to whoever said walk away, turn your back, whatever.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
"Really, so the first time I should get to hold a baby is when it comes out of me? What about Fathers? Do they not get to hold their own children?"

What I'd actually say, "Oh Grandma, don't be silly. Of course people other than Mothers are allowed to hold babies. I'll come find you when I'm done, because I'm not quite ready to let go of her yet."
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »
This is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard. Has she ever heard of babysitters? Nurses? Doctors? Baptisms? She does know that not all these things involve people who are mothers, right?

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

triciadi

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »
Maybe you should ask her how you are supposed to get some practice holding a baby before you have one of your own.