Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

Silence at a gas station

(1/2) > >>

darkprincess:
Sorry in an attempt to not bring up particular faith's I am going to be a little vague.

On Saturday I had to stop and purchase gas. A women pulled up to the gas pump opposite of mine as I was getting out of my car. She looked at me from around the gas pump and said "Happy (very religious way of describing a holiday)." I said "Thank you" and continued to pump my gas.

I do not share her faith and the day in question was actually a different faith's holiday. The holiday she was referring to was the next day. I try not to have religious discussions with strangers.

She started to ask me probing questions that are usually used to try to convert someone. I decided to ignore her and continue to pump my gas. She became louder and I told her I wasn't interested in having this discussion. She continued to the point of yelling about my needs to convert to her ideas and she began to shake the gas pump at me (kind of like you would do with shaking your finger at someone.)
At this point a group of motorcyclists who were also getting gas, completely in leather, started walking up to  try to help me :) I smiled at them, motioned them away so the situation did not escalate, stopped pumping gas even though I was not finished and got into my car and drove away.
Sometimes silence is the answer.

SamiHami:
Sounds like you handled it well. Definitely a case of "don't engage the crazy."

Sharnita:
I will say that in and of itself saying Happy __________ the day before ___________  ( or even a couple days before) does not even register with me. I frequently do this and even prefer it because if I or you wait until the day of the holiday  to say it then by the time the wish is expressed the dya is partially over. 

Now her follow-up behaior is obviously rude.

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: Sharnita on April 09, 2012, 06:14:27 PM ---I will say that in and of itself saying Happy __________ the day before ___________  ( or even a couple days before) does not even register with me. I frequently do this and even prefer it because if I or you wait until the day of the holiday  to say it then by the time the wish is expressed the dya is partially over. 

--- End quote ---

Based on the description, I don't think she said just the name of the holiday. I've seen people who say "Happy day when our Deity did such-and-such awesome thing!" which is much more specific and can feel pushy.

darkprincess:

--- Quote from: Yvaine on April 09, 2012, 06:34:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: Sharnita on April 09, 2012, 06:14:27 PM ---I will say that in and of itself saying Happy __________ the day before ___________  ( or even a couple days before) does not even register with me. I frequently do this and even prefer it because if I or you wait until the day of the holiday  to say it then by the time the wish is expressed the dya is partially over. 

--- End quote ---

Based on the description, I don't think she said just the name of the holiday. I've seen people who say "Happy day when our Deity did such-and-such awesome thing!" which is much more specific and can feel pushy.

--- End quote ---

It was like Yvaine said, "Happy day when our Deity did such-and-such awesome thing." but then add that deity did awesome thing for my benefit. I guess I could have used the line "That is an interesting assumption." Meaning why would she assume I shared her holiday, faith, diety, but I thought that would be ruder than saying Thank you and being silent.

I found it even odder because the day she said it was actually a different holiday for another major faith. While I may not follow a particular faith I recognize that on the day of the holiday people are going to change regular greetings of "hello" to "Merry Christmas," "Happy Chanakuh," "Happy Solstice,"  etc.
However I do find it odd when a stranger gives me a more specific and pushy greeting instead of the generic greeting and then does it on some other popular faith's holiday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version