Author Topic: Karaoke Etiquette  (Read 11610 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Karaoke Etiquette
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »
For singers: Do not stand straight directly in front of the singer and say "But I hate that song! Please sing x by y for me?!" No. Just...no.  Maybe later, but there is a time and place for requests.

For non-singers: Karaoke singers are not comedians. We do not appreciate being heckled half way through a song. We also do not appreciate being told that was "average", or "rubbish", as though you are Simon Cowell.  This is not X Factor or Britain's Got Talent, but most singers I know do enjoy the experience of getting up to sing something. Please allow us to do that and try, just for 3 minutes at a time, to keep your mouths shut and listen. If you cannot manage that, then kindly leave us to enjoy what we do.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

JennJenn68

Re: Karaoke Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:10:32 PM »
I don't go to karaoke events. 

I've been told repeatedly that I ought to do so, because I am a singer and I'm told that I'm reasonably good.  Nevertheless, I will not attend karaoke.  The reason is that I follow Hollanda's etiquette suggestions to the letter, and I generally find it impossible to sit and listen to someone murdering any song.  Why, oh why is it that invariably the people that hop up to sing are the people who could not carry a tune even if were contained in a bucket?  I possess the mixed blessing of absolute pitch.  It's handy in my musical profession, but hell to have to listen to people attempt to sing who really should have taken a pass.  It is, quite literally, a painful experience.  I'd rather stick a fork in my eye.

I understand Simon Cowell's reputation completely.  Given his situation, I would be the same acidic, blunt kind of judge.  And that is why I don't go to karoake events.  But yes, Hollanda, you are absolutely correct.  I just want to add, for the benefit of those who may not be aware of this... if you cannot sing when you haven't been imbibing of various alcoholic beverages, the chances that your voice and musical ability have improved with the addition of same are slim to none.  And, for the love of God, don't get up to sing "American Pie" if you don't know more of the lyrics than "Bye, bye Miss American Pie"!  That's just rude to everyone else who is forced to listen to you.

I think I'll go to bed now.  JennJenn's starting to sound misanthropic...

Amalthea

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:35:34 AM »
Why, oh why is it that invariably the people that hop up to sing are the people who could not carry a tune even if were contained in a bucket?

'Cause it's fun?  It's not a crime to have fun doing stuff that you're bad at.

I've only been to public karaoke once (the other times were always private rooms).  Is it normal for people to get up and dance, or was I just with crazy people?

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 06:40:42 AM »
I don't go to karaoke events. 

I've been told repeatedly that I ought to do so, because I am a singer and I'm told that I'm reasonably good.  Nevertheless, I will not attend karaoke.  The reason is that I follow Hollanda's etiquette suggestions to the letter, and I generally find it impossible to sit and listen to someone murdering any song.  Why, oh why is it that invariably the people that hop up to sing are the people who could not carry a tune even if were contained in a bucket?  I possess the mixed blessing of absolute pitch.  It's handy in my musical profession, but hell to have to listen to people attempt to sing who really should have taken a pass.  It is, quite literally, a painful experience.  I'd rather stick a fork in my eye.

I understand Simon Cowell's reputation completely.  Given his situation, I would be the same acidic, blunt kind of judge.  And that is why I don't go to karoake events.  But yes, Hollanda, you are absolutely correct.  I just want to add, for the benefit of those who may not be aware of this... if you cannot sing when you haven't been imbibing of various alcoholic beverages, the chances that your voice and musical ability have improved with the addition of same are slim to none.  And, for the love of God, don't get up to sing "American Pie" if you don't know more of the lyrics than "Bye, bye Miss American Pie"!  That's just rude to everyone else who is forced to listen to you.

I think I'll go to bed now.  JennJenn's starting to sound misanthropic...

I think I disagree with this ....I'm not sure if your saying people who "can't" sing should  not try or people who don't like poor singing shouldn't go or both.  I don't think "You need to sign well" was ever the point of Karoake. I don't even think it's comparable to open mic night at a comedy club ( where your would essentially be auditioning for the audience and possible hoping to get booked) but I still don't think anyone can say "unless you know you're funny /you wont forget the punch line, you better not get up there and tell jokes.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:00:14 AM »
JennJenn68 I am so sorry you have had such terrible experiences with karaoke. I can tell you that it is not always the case. There are some establishments that actually do karaoke events well, people do not get too drunk and the standard of the singers is actually very high.  ITA that there are some heinous places out there, and equally some heinous singers.

There is polite behaviour (either sit there, be quiet or leave if you - general you - really cannot stand it). Then there is rude behaviour (heckling, shouting, distracting etc).

In the establishment in which I entered the karaoke competition last night (very high standards, no words on the screen when it comes to the competition - the prize is to perform for an hour-long set as part of the city's Pride weekend), there is actually a notice on the door that says this:

"This pub holds karaoke on Sunday and Monday evenings. If you dislike karaoke, please feel free to stay, but please be polite to those who do wish to sing. Rude behaviour will not be tolerated. Equally, if you do choose to sing, please do not complain about the equipment used to provide your entertainment. If these rules are unclear, ask the bar staff. If you don't like them, feel free to leave!"

It's sad that this has to be explained.  :(

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:29:29 AM »
I would be one of those leaving if it was bad karaoke.  It might be fun for the person singing it, but it's not fun for anyone listening.  I'm not going to heckle, but my ears deserve to hear the songs done well.  If I wanted to hear bad singing I can do so for free in my own shower.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:24 AM »
I do something, such as go outside to make a phonecall, visit the ladies or go to the bar to buy another drink.  I don't sit around and listen to someone absolutely murder a song I used to like.  I've noticed a room empty when certain people get up to sing. If that ever happened to me, I would start wondering whether or not I really should be showing my "talent" in public!

IME it is awful when you are halfway through a song, enjoying it and not sounding bad, to have someone stand up and shout "Yeah, you're rubbish". There really is no need for it. Appallingly rude.  And it does happen, I've seen it happen.

:(

(But good news. I got through to the semi final in last night's competition...!)

Amalthea

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »
I would be one of those leaving if it was bad karaoke.  It might be fun for the person singing it, but it's not fun for anyone listening.  I'm not going to heckle, but my ears deserve to hear the songs done well.  If I wanted to hear bad singing I can do so for free in my own shower.

Weird.  I've always had fun going with my friends to karaoke, even if it was mostly caterwauling.  I'm starting to feel like I must be doing it wrong.  Culture difference, maybe?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 10:38:56 AM »

Weird.  I've always had fun going with my friends to karaoke, even if it was mostly caterwauling.  I'm starting to feel like I must be doing it wrong.  Culture difference, maybe?

I'm beginning to think there are two whole different worlds of karaoke, one where it's taken really seriously and you're supposed to be good, and one where it's really informal and the point is to be goofy and have fun. I've pretty much only encountered the latter.

angilamae

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:31 AM »
I would far rather watch mediocre to slightly bad karaoke if they are performing and having fun with it (not super horrible) over a good singer who just stands there.  To me karaoke isnt about being a great singer.  it's about having fun.  And at all the places I have gone too people get up and dance and have fun.  Not doing so, is foriegn  to me. 

That said, I do not karoke myself (except once in a private room).  I am not the worst singer but I don't want to make others hear me either.
I can resist everything except temptation-Oscar Wilde

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:49 AM »

I'm beginning to think there are two whole different worlds of karaoke, one where it's taken really seriously and you're supposed to be good, and one where it's really informal and the point is to be goofy and have fun. I've pretty much only encountered the latter.

There might actually be 3: good singers, goofy & fun, and then there's bad.  I don't enjoy watching people who think they're wonderful go up there looking for validation - it's a bit of a buzz kill actually because it's sad and either my heart breaks a bit for the sweet person singing who is under the misguided impression they have talent or I'm doing the huge internal eye roll because they're not just bad, but they're also cocky.  You've got to be in the group of goofy & fun, or the group of good singers to be enjoyable to watch.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Amalthea

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 10:50:15 AM »

That must be it. If I get invited to karaoke, I mostly expect shenanigans, whether there's drinking involved or not. I do not go expecting good singing.

Jaelle

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »

It depends on the person, too. I hate bad singing. I can't sing myself, but I have a very good sense of pitch, and this can sound like nails on a chalkboard to me.  :P  Plus I get embarrassed for the person whether or not they're embarrassed, if that makes any sense.

So I don't go to karaoke events. Problem solved. :)  It's my problem, not theirs.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

MasterofSquirrels

• hi.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »
I have been to karaoke bars that encouraged people to voice their opinions. It made for an absolute blast! You knew what you were getting into though.

Me? I sing best after much tequila and I stick to Janis Joplin.  ;D  Plus, if it's the right bar, people will sing along and help the ones with an unfortunate voice, or unfortunate song choice.

I haven't been to a serious karaoke event, but, if it were stated as such, or, if the venue is known for its seriousness, clearly anyone that engaged in heckling would be rude.

jmarvellous

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »
I like going to karaoke because I like to hear my friends sing. I even like to see entertaining strangers sing.

I hate going to karaoke because I (might) get pushed to sing.

I WILL NOT sing in public (unless I'm tipsy -- and karaoke+drunk has literally only happened once in my life, and it was on a karaoke bus, so everyone else sang along loudly enough to drown me out, and there were no strangers). I am a terrible (terrible!) singer. I know it. My friends know it. And I have stage fright. There is nothing fun about it. It is not fun to be urged to do it. But somehow it's fun for people to urge me to do it. I don't get it.

I am going to a karaoke party on Friday. I plan to act as nonchalant about not singing as possible and hope it doesn't get brought up. From the looks of it, everyone else will have plenty of songs to sing, so I won't get a spot on the roster, anyway.