Author Topic: Bought some coconut oil. Now what do I do with it?  (Read 2903 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Bought some coconut oil. Now what do I do with it?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 09:01:50 AM »
I put about a tablespoon in my berry smoothies, yummy!!

It doesn't seem to hold up well in high heat so we don't fry with it (we use olive oil and/or the grease from uncured bacon for that) but it's great for lower heat and baking!

Edited to add - Have you tried sea buckthorn oil for your rosacea? I had a heckuva time with mine. None of the Rx pills or creams ever worked but using the sulfacetamide face wash and then applying 2-3 drops of the pure oil (from the seeds) has cleared it up completely!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:07:49 AM by JenJay »

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
JenJay, thanks for the tip about buckthorn oil.  :D

Kaypeep

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 12:21:28 AM »
Thanks!  No, I've never heard of that.  I just googled and found a few brands.  Do you recommend any particular brand?  I see some soaps and creams made with it, too.  Do you know if those are helpful?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »
I tried this roll-on topical tretment that had SBO in addition to other things, it helped a bit but not much. I'm curious about the cleanser but my Rx stuff is only $10 per refil, lasts for months and I know it works so I haven't felt brave enough to risk anything new. lol

I'm using Sibu's because that's what they had at my local Whole Foods and I wanted to be able to talk to someone about it before I tried it and return it if it didn't work. It's quite a bit cheaper through amazon so I'll probably do that for future purchases.  ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003IU9HI0/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1337344580&sr=8-1

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 01:50:02 PM »
JenJay, the one you linked got the best reviews on Amazon. One review mentioned something about how others aren't oil of the seed, they're oil of the berry so people don't find them to be as effective.

JenJay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
I initially found the recommendation for SBO on a message board for rosacea sufferers a couple of years ago. I tried the roll-on doober and wasn't impressed so I figured it didn't work. Then recently (well, a few months ago) I found some info on the oil cleansing method (OCM) and a lady who seemed pretty knowledgeable recommended SBO either within the cleansing mixture or as a moisturizer for after. I kind of had a "duh" moment and realized I hadn't tried straight 100% seed oil the first go-around and decided to give it another try. SO happy I did!!  ;D

I'm not really sure if I like the OCM because the mixture I'm using is 2 parts evoo and 1 part flax oil (supposedly also good for rosacea) and it's pretty heavy, so I only use it once a week or so so make sure my face doesn't get dry. All this talk of coconut oil has me wondering, though. Maybe I should try that instead of the evoo and see how it does? It would certainly smell better. lol

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »
I use it for pan-frying or sauteing meat at high temperatures as it does better than most other oils at high temperature.