Author Topic: From the blog - Daddy's Little Girl (long)  (Read 16511 times)

lollylegs

From the blog - Daddy's Little Girl (long)
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:26:49 PM »
[My comments in red, Ehelldame's are bolded.]

This is one of those ones where the OP was far ruder, but I just find this whole story really sad.

Last May, my beautiful goddaughter, Sally, turned 1 and I was blessed to be included in this event. I have known said goddaughter’s mom, Barb, since high school and we are the best of friends. One year prior to this event I was in the delivery room as Sally was born and stayed overnight until Sally and Barb were released from the hospital. Ever since I have been supportive of Barb and Sally in every way possible causing most of Barb’s family members to refer to me as the Baby Daddy (and yes I am female!)

Sally’s real dad, Mike, lives two states away but has (for the most part) been present for the special occasions including Sally’s first birthday. The day started nicely with lots of sunshine and family members on their best behavior. I had come early to help set up and volunteered to help Barb’s sister collect a few last minute items at the store. Mike spent most of the pre-party day in the basement putting together a really cute wagon/tricycle. The day moved on and it came time for cake cutting. Barb’s dad asked who would like to cut the cake as Barb was busy with Sally (still nursing).  I said I would as I have much experience doing so as my grandmother has worked in the catering business for 60 years and has taught me how to cut cake swiftly. [???  It's cake.  No professional training required.] Suddenly Mike says that he wants to do it as it is his daughter’s cake. [You're surprised that he wants to cut his daughters first birthday cake?  Well, I guess he's just the 'real dad', not the Baby Daddy.] I said okay would you like some help.

Now just a small tangent. Mike and I are not friends. He has annoyed me in the past and I was putting on my friendly face to deal with him. He has made several small comments in the past (and present) about my relationship with Sally and Barb. Barb and I are very close and have been mistaken for a couple on many occasions. We aren’t a couple but have been friends for many years and the fact that I watched her give birth has made us even closer. (I often joke that I watched her give birth and she didnt!) Sally and I are very close as well and I spend a great deal of time with her including her spending the night at my house.

Now back to the story at hand. Earlier in the day, Sally refused to come to Mike and screamed when he tried to pick her up. She ran to me and would not let me put her down. (This has happened before.) Now I don’t know if this had something to do with his attitude but he responded with a firm, “No.” I left it alone and since Sally was not interested in cake we began opening her gifts. I looked over to Mike cutting the cake to see him using his fingers to place the cake on plates. I approached Mike and said, “Hey, you shouldn’t touch other people’s cake. Its unsanitary.” Mike replied, “Stop being a germaphobe. My hands are clean. I just washed them.” My reply was, ” Its still unsanitary. Use a fork.”  Mike then shouted, ” Look I got this. Its my daughter’s cake.” At that point I threw up my hands and went to help with the gifts. As gift unwrapping ended Barb mentioned that it was late and I needed to get going. ( I had just finished graduate school and was going to a party held in my honor) As I got up Mike stated, “You not staying to help clean up?”  I replied (curtly), “No, I have a party.” Mike, “Well I see where your priorities are.” [Rude, perhaps, but I can understand why it might seem to him like the OP swooped in to do all the fun stuff and left early to avoid the cleanup.] I did not reply and simply walked upstairs to exit the house.

Now I had already cleared my early departure with Barb and her parents. This party was being held in mine and 4 other girls’ honors but they had stated they were not going to start the festivity until I arrived. As I exited,  Barb’s mom asked where I was going and before I could answer her husband stated, “Her graduation party.”   I stated (to them only), “And plus I need to leave before I commit murder and get blood on your newly painted walls.” (Barb’s dad is a cop) [So not cool, and why is it necessary to mention that Barb's dad is a cop?  Because he'll get a murder joke more than someone of another profession?] They both giggled and said have fun at the party.

The holidays are fast approaching and I am worried that Mike will get the best of me and my friendly face will disappear. So I need some advice on how to handle a P.I.T.A barely there father who gets pissed at me because his daughter does not know him? Thanks! 1209-11

I’m afraid you won’t like my answer one bit.     By your own admission, Mike has made the effort to travel from two states away to be there for important milestones in Sally’s life.  We can deduce from your story that Mike is not persona non grata or some nefarious influence but is being invited into Sally’s mother and grandparents’ home to participate in his daughter’s life.  The fact that you mention there will be future functions where Mike, Sally and Barb will be in attendance indicates that Barb and her parents are extending invitations to Mike and apparently will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

You further mention that everyone in the family is “on their best behavior”.  Everyone but you, it appears.  You are the one who initiates the conflict.  When Barb’s dad asked who would cut the cake, and Mike stepped up to take on that task and Barb’s dad delegates that task to him.  Mike declines your offer of help yet you can’t help interfering with criticism on how he is cutting and serving the cake.   Neither the host or hostess appears to have a problem with how Mike is executing this so why would you think you had the authority to assume oversight as if you were the host of this party?   If you don’t want Mike’s fingers touching your cake, simply wait til he’s done cutting the majority of the cake and cut your own piece later or decline to eat any.   A piece of cake isn’t worth the angst you created.    And Barb’s parents’ giggles may have been nervous titters one does when confronted with a comment that was quite inappropriate.    You appear to have been contributing to the tension in the party.

When Sally refused to go to Mike, you should have kindly told him that this is a common phase in small children to have stranger anxiety and then worked to encourage Sally to get  more comfortable with Mike.   I view it as a positive that Mike was upset that his daughter did not want to come to him.   I don’t view it as positive that you seem to relish this.

If you love Sally, you will do nothing whatsoever to undermine her relationship with her father.   She will need her father and you are not her father.   You should have a common goal with Mike, Barb and Barb’s parents to pursue what is in the best interests of Sally.  Being contentious with Mike in Barb’s parents’ home is not in Sally’s best interests since it has the potential effect of discouraging Mike from attending future events in which it is quite likely you will also be invited.   If you love Sally, you will not only not undermine her relationship with her father but should be encouraging it as best you can.

My advice?  Back off.  Back right off.

AngelicGamer

Re: From the blog - Daddy's Little Girl (long)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:28:57 AM »
I see the LW nor the dad coming out clean here.  LW should have backed off and hidden her anger better.  Mike should have not snapped and used a fork.  I do agree with the LW on that, sorry to anyone who uses their fingers to help place other people's food on a plate.

Also, why did Mike have to nag on the LW leaving early?  She helped with set up and she really didn't have to do that as she was a guest.  Since it was cleared with the hosts, then there was no problem, save for the LW's comments as she left. 

It seems like the kiddo has made up her mind who to trust too, at least at the moment.  The dad can be there on milestones as much as he wants, but it doesn't make up for being there more.  That's his fault and not the LW's and he should leave that baggage at the door.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:56:30 AM »
I see the LW nor the dad coming out clean here.  LW should have backed off and hidden her anger better.  Mike should have not snapped and used a fork.  I do agree with the LW on that, sorry to anyone who uses their fingers to help place other people's food on a plate.

Whenever people make this argument I wonder how they (you) feel about taking communion? In every church I've been to, the wafers are always handed out by hand. Plus communion is usually pretty late in the service, so there wouldn't even have been any recent hand-washing either - at least Mike told the LW he had washed his hands before touching the food.

I get that using a fork would look nicer, but that's about the only reason I can see for it.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

AngelicGamer

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 02:32:03 AM »

Whenever people make this argument I wonder how they (you) feel about taking communion? In every church I've been to, the wafers are always handed out by hand. Plus communion is usually pretty late in the service, so there wouldn't even have been any recent hand-washing either - at least Mike told the LW he had washed his hands before touching the food.

I get that using a fork would look nicer, but that's about the only reason I can see for it.

When I took communion, I still had to wash my hands before my meal no matter what.  Even though I washed my hands, I still had to use serving utensils, such as a serving fork for chilled lunch meats or a serving fork for cake when we had cake.

Yes, it looks nice.  It also makes everyone feel better that they don't use their fingers but that is my family.  The LW's family might have been the same.  On thinking about this, I do think the LW should have dropped the argument about using a fork after realizing that the dad wasn't going to.  So, as I said before, nobody comes out smelling like roses.  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 03:44:42 AM »
LW seemed determined to create conflict. Barb, to me, seemed like the consummate hostess, determined not to let anyone's attitude spoil her child's first birthday. I felt sorry for Barb...she clearly worked hard on the party and then gets LW and Mike sniping at each other. Kudos to her for not letting them see whether it upset her, at least not in public.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 05:37:43 AM »

Also, why did Mike have to nag on the LW leaving early?  She helped with set up and she really didn't have to do that as she was a guest.  Since it was cleared with the hosts, then there was no problem, save for the LW's comments as she left. 

It seems like the kiddo has made up her mind who to trust too, at least at the moment.  The dad can be there on milestones as much as he wants, but it doesn't make up for being there more.  That's his fault and not the LW's and he should leave that baggage at the door.

I think that's a little harsh and especially uncalled for.  Even E-Hell Dame recognizes that kids of that age tend to be stranger-weary.  He can be upset all he likes, as I'm sure it does hurt; you don't get to decide how hurt he is.  Does that mean he should have snapped at the OP?  No, but that probably wasn't the only reason he snapped at her either.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »
LW seemed determined to create conflict. Barb, to me, seemed like the consummate hostess, determined not to let anyone's attitude spoil her child's first birthday. I felt sorry for Barb...she clearly worked hard on the party and then gets LW and Mike sniping at each other. Kudos to her for not letting them see whether it upset her, at least not in public.

I agree, though I think Mike wasn't blameless either.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 05:06:29 PM »

When I took communion, I still had to wash my hands before my meal no matter what.  Even though I washed my hands, I still had to use serving utensils, such as a serving fork for chilled lunch meats or a serving fork for cake when we had cake.

Yes, it looks nice.  It also makes everyone feel better that they don't use their fingers but that is my family.  The LW's family might have been the same.  On thinking about this, I do think the LW should have dropped the argument about using a fork after realizing that the dad wasn't going to.  So, as I said before, nobody comes out smelling like roses.  :)

In my church the priest would give you the wafer with his hands. I don't remember him washing his hands before he gave it you either. I never could bring myself to drink the wine. 

MrTango

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »
In my church the priest would give you the wafer with his hands. I don't remember him washing his hands before he gave it you either. I never could bring myself to drink the wine.

Some churches have gotten better at sanitation recently.  My church and my parents church both have hand sanitizer dispensers hidden just out of sight where the ministers can use them right before handling the hosts & cups.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »

Some churches have gotten better at sanitation recently.  My church and my parents church both have hand sanitizer dispensers hidden just out of sight where the ministers can use them right before handling the hosts & cups.

I note you say "cups" does that mean each person gets their own cup to drink from? It's been years since I have been to church but they used to have the wine in a chalice and whip it with a cloth between each person. But they rarely had the wine available - I guess they decided the best way to make sure not to spread germs was to not have the opportunity.

lollylegs

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 11:37:42 PM »
I'm really surprised at all the comments about Mike touching the cake.  I honestly can't think of a single party I've been to where the host hasn't used her hands to place the cake on the plate.  I thought it was normal but I guess it's a regional thing.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 01:22:46 AM »
I'm really surprised at all the comments about Mike touching the cake.  I honestly can't think of a single party I've been to where the host hasn't used her hands to place the cake on the plate.  I thought it was normal but I guess it's a regional thing.

lollylegs, I think its a cultural thing, I'm Australian too and I was really surprised when I started reading e-hell to hear that stuff like this is an issue.

As for the letter-writer, she sounds like a possessive piece of work.

lollylegs

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 03:27:22 AM »

lollylegs, I think its a cultural thing, I'm Australian too and I was really surprised when I started reading e-hell to hear that stuff like this is an issue.

As for the letter-writer, she sounds like a possessive piece of work.

You're right, now that I think about it there's been a few threads here that have made me wonder if I'm hopelessly unhygienic.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 03:34:29 AM »

Ditto from another Australian.

And I agree with MsMarjorie's commmet that the LW sounds possessive. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:55:20 AM by sammycat »

Lillie82

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »

It seems like the kiddo has made up her mind who to trust too, at least at the moment.  The dad can be there on milestones as much as he wants, but it doesn't make up for being there more. 

This was my reaction, or close to it. I was surprised at how many of the comments on the main site were complimentary towards Mike for making an effort to be there for special ocassions, even though he lived two states away. For an aunt, uncle, grandparent, or other relative, this might indeed be admirable. Fathers are supposed to be there (with their kids) all the time. Surely the fact that the OP has been more involved in her life than her father has something to do with Sally's feelings toward each and comfort level with each.

Now, that said, I certainly won't disagree with Admin and posters who say that it's not the OP's place to interfere when he is spending time with Sally, or create conflict during that time.

The cake thing? Plenty of people do handle food with their hands. It's probably better if we don't, though.  :P