Author Topic: This seems like a bad idea...  (Read 1769 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
This seems like a bad idea...
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:18:43 PM »
I follow H&R Block on Facebook, and lately they've been posting a lot of things on their wall as tax time is rapidly approaching.  I think they went over the edge of what's okay though, with one of their latest posts.  It reads "Know someone that needs a humorous nudge to stop settling for less with their tax prep method? Check out our funny line of cards you can send to friends to challenge their less-than-awesome tax ideas!", with a link to said line of ecards.  The ecards say things like, "I'm sorry, the government won't accept you being late like I always do" or "I can't wait to see what you're going to buy me with your tax refund!".

First off, I'm kind of stunned that people would presume they know so much about a friend's tax situation that they would reasonably know whether or not someone has filed their taxes.  Even assuming I did know if a friend had not filed their taxes, I think it's incredibly rude to send an ecard to someone regarding their tax situation!  It's not just a company posting on their Facebook page, which they are completely entitled to do.  That company is encouraging people to go look at these ecards and send them to people. 

What say you, ehellions?  Is this actually rude, or am I getting myself all worked up over nothing (definitely been known to happen)?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: This seems like a bad idea...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:35:52 PM »
I think they're the kind of thing you could send to a friend with an odd sense of humor, if you knew your audience. Same as any other snarky greeting card, really. You risk offending someone if you don't know the person will like it---but if you do know, you can both have a good laugh.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:38:50 PM »
Well if you were to send me a card like that I'd lecture you about the quality of the returns prepared by HR Block  :P

I think it's a bad idea in general to sell to friends. To sell it with greedy and possible insulting cards would make a bad idea worse, unless you really know their sense of humor.

greencat

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »
I could have used those on my former significant other...who was in his mid-20's and had NEVER FILED A TAX RETURN when I started dating him.  In retrospect, that was a red flag and I should have run away screaming.  The IRS hasn't noticed him yet that I know of, but some day they're going to audit him and he's going to owe crazy back taxes.  I did his taxes for him while we were together (they were always 1040EZ simple and I benefited from his tax refund). 

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:32:04 AM »
One hopes that they are trying to be funny. Surely no one would actually SEND such a card.