Author Topic: Brunch ideas needed  (Read 1569 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Brunch ideas needed
« on: April 11, 2012, 07:27:03 AM »
Hello. I have some friends coming to brunch this month. It's the first time I've entertained two of them so I'd like to make a good show, making everyone welcome and have them enjoy the food. There will be five of us in total. One can't have pork products, so no bacon or sausage. One can't have caffeine, so no chocolate in anything and decaff coffee. One is on essentially a pregnant woman's diet (because of immuno-sepressants) so no raw fish, rare meat, soft eggs.

My question is: what would you serve in this situation?

QueenofAllThings

Re: Brunch ideas needed
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:36:34 AM »
Vegetable quiche - leeks and gruyere, or broccoli and red pepper OR a strata
A 'sweet' - coffee cake, sweet rolls, etc.
Herbal tea

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:33:39 AM »
fruit scones, tea & breakfast burritos - can get turkey sausage/bacon and if you have your guests assemble them like fajita's any diet restricted item can be kept out of that individual's burrito.  Also, pancakes are never never wrong.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:40:40 AM »
Croque monsieur made with turkey and pears and a side of pan roasted potatoes and a green salad.  You could also offer scrambled eggs as a side if you want.  I can post the recipe if your interested.

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:06 AM »
Croque monsieur made with turkey and pears and a side of pan roasted potatoes and a green salad.  You could also offer scrambled eggs as a side if you want.  I can post the recipe if your interested.

IF we are interested?  :o

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00:29 AM »

IF we are interested?  :o
Here's a link.  It's super simple.  Just get the most flavorful pear you can find.  If they are really firm, I do pan sauté them in butter for a little bit.  I usually slice diagonally and serve a half of one to each and provide a little more sauce for guests to spoon over their sandwiches or potatoes. 

http://www.closetcooking.com/2007/10/croque-monsieur-with-pear-and-smoked.html

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:55:20 PM »
Hello. I have some friends coming to brunch this month. It's the first time I've entertained two of them so I'd like to make a good show, making everyone welcome and have them enjoy the food. There will be five of us in total. One can't have pork products, so no bacon or sausage. One can't have caffeine, so no chocolate in anything and decaff coffee. One is on essentially a pregnant woman's diet (because of immuno-sepressants) so no raw fish, rare meat, soft eggs.

My question is: what would you serve in this situation?

I think that a lot of people think of brunch as more of a breakfast meal than a lunch meal, which is fine . . . but I don't mind a lot of lunchy stuff on a brunch menu. Seeing as your guests diets are leaning more toward healthy instead of the "normal" breakfast foods (beacon, sausage, eggs) I would go with more lunchy stuff with a bit of breakfast included. (What time to you plan on serving?)

Suggestions:

Fresh veggie/garden salad or a veggie platter with sliced tomato, cucumber, avocado, pea pods, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, roasted asparagus . . . you get the picture. I think this is a must-have. Dips and dressings on the side.

Along with fresh fruits -- salad or (I would prefer) a platter. Another must-have.

A cheese and meat platter -- I know you said no pork for one guest, but what about some ham (for the other guests) along with beef, turkey and/or chicken slices (roll the slices (or not) to make a pretty platter.) I do think you need some savory choices. A meat and cheese platter would fit the bill.

I would also do a bowl of scrambled eggs on the side. You can "fancy" them up with chives and mushrooms (and mixed-in cream cheese, yum!) Previously posted quiche ideas are great for an egg dish . . . there's only one guest that can't do eggs, so I think you're fine with serving an egg dish as long as there is plenty of other stuff. I wouldn't do an egg dish as a "main" though.

On the bread side:

Crepes are good, but they take some time to make. You don't have to roll them up in anything, just serve a tray of crepes and the guests can build their own with the filling of their choice.

Any chance you have a waffle maker? Waffles are great for brunch because you can use them for bread to make a sandwich with . . . maybe I'm just weird, I loves waffle sandwiches . . . or have a small variety of syrups.

Scones and Pancakes are another suggestion for a great breakfast bread.

If the crepes, waffles, scones or pancakes don't fit your bill, then try to do several different fresh breads with a variety of flavored cream cheeses and butters. If you have a baker in your area (or even the bakery in your grocery store) pick up a whole-wheat, sourdough, rye . . . something different, a small variety . . . or even the Pillsbury poppin-fresh crescent rolls or biscuits. Along with the Pillsbury idea, maybe do a plate of cinnamon buns.

If you're not completely stuffed by this point, maybe add a pound cake with sherbet for dessert. Or just the sherbet. :)

To drink? OJ, Lemonade, Iced Tea, coffee or hot tea . . . anybody up for a mimosa? ;D

So, now that I've planned your entire menu* ;) . . . I think that you'll do fine with whatever you choose.

Fresh veggies
Fresh fruit
An egg dish
Meats (of some sort)
Breads
Spreads and dips
Maybe a sweet thing for dessert

*Okay, now I'm really hungry for a good brunch. When was this going down? I'll be waiting for my invite! ;D

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:01:05 PM »
I totally get that you have to have decaf coffee available, but I really think you should have regular as well. Honestly to a lot of people decaf just doesn't cut it. Even if its just packets of Starbucks instant (Via) I would encourage real coffee.

As for menu, as a New Yorker I have to suggest bagels. They go with everything - eggs, cream cheese, cold cuts, butter, peanut butter, jelly, etc.

One of my "go to" party foods that's always hit is poached salmon. I poach a large filet in water, white wine & herbs. As it cooks I rim a platter with slices of citrus then place the salmon in the middle; I garnish it with capers and some fresh herbs. It can be made a day in advance and is good cold or room temperture.

Miriam

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:33:05 AM »
Strawberries and cream! (or fake romanoff sauce)

Recipe:
1. Basket of strawberries (however many you want to serve)
2. 1 jar marshmallow fluff
3. I stick cream cheese
4. 1 tb. vanilla flavoring
5. sprinkled cinnamon

Mix the fluff and cream cheese together until smooth, thick, yet creamy. Add vanilla and cinnamon until mixed and sweet. It's amazing.
"All Was Well"

Bethalize

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 07:06:02 AM »
Guys, you are splendid. Thank you very much. I love especially the croque monsieur idea, and I hadn't ever considered quiche. I've never eaten breakfast burritos so that would be wonderfully exotic to us. Bagels and waffles - oh my! I am going to have to think about this.

I really appreciate you all sharing the ideas. It's so nice to have perspectives from all over the world. Around here we think brunch is the Full English breakfast.

greencat

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 04:49:49 PM »
A coworker brought these in to an office party once - they're kind of "pizzas" but not...and they're really BRUNCHY because they're not really breakfast or lunch foods...kind of in-between.

Base: 1 pre-made pizza crust each, heated to soften before prep.

Savory:
Spread a container of garlic & herb cream cheese spread over the crust. Top with marinated artichoke hearts, sauteed bell peppers and tomatoes, and steamed broccoli (or other soft veggies of your choice!).  Chill and serve!

Sweet:
Spread a container of honey-walnut cream cheese spread over the crust. Top with thinly sliced strawberries, bananas, and kiwi.  Chill and serve!

Bethalize

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
A coworker brought these in to an office party once - they're kind of "pizzas" but not...and they're really BRUNCHY because they're not really breakfast or lunch foods...kind of in-between.

Base: 1 pre-made pizza crust each, heated to soften before prep.

Savory:
Spread a container of garlic & herb cream cheese spread over the crust. Top with marinated artichoke hearts, sauteed bell peppers and tomatoes, and steamed broccoli (or other soft veggies of your choice!).  Chill and serve!

Sweet:
Spread a container of honey-walnut cream cheese spread over the crust. Top with thinly sliced strawberries, bananas, and kiwi.  Chill and serve!

Oh, yum! Sweet pizza was in all the food fashion mags here recently.

GlassHalfFull

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
I love a good egg casserole (or quiche, or frittata), with a crisp salad on the side.  Not quiet "tossed salad and scrambled eggs" but close!  I'll add an interesting breakfast bread (bagel, English muffin, etc) and some fresh fruit, and consider the meal complete.

An overnight french toast might work well, too...slice french bread 1 in. or so, place in buttered casserole dish, pour about a dozen eggs that were stirred with cinnamon and sugar over, make sure all pieces have been coated, cover and refridgerate overnight.  Bake for about an hour at 325 or so the next day, uncover last 15 min.  Serve with toppings (powdered sugar, fruit, whipped cream, syrup, etc.)

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »
I love Ina Garten's recipe for Croissant Bread Pudding.  It's so decadent and not healthy, but it's really delicious.  I serve it with some homemade berries sauce and whipped cream. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/croissant-bread-pudding-recipe/index.html