Author Topic: choc chip cookies  (Read 4549 times)

nayberry

choc chip cookies
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »
now i can make cookies but mine never have that squishy middle texture like you get from places like Millies cookies (UK store that sells, wait for it, Cookies)

has anyone got a foolproof recipe they wouldn't mind sharing?

thanks

nay

alkira6

Re: choc chip cookies
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
Really, that squishy middle just comes from taking them out about 2 minutes earlier, leaving them on the cookie sheet for about 2 minutes, and then transfering to a cooling rack so that they stop cooking.  You can also add about 2 tablespoons extra of what ever solid fat that you are using in your regular recipe (shortning, butter, whatever you are using).

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »
I mix half shortening and half butter/margarine to control the melting point (butter has a lower melting point than shortening) and bake the first batch of cookies 8 and a half minutes, then cool them.  If they aren't quite right - adjust the time by thirty to sixty seconds one way or the other............depending on how chewy you want them to be.

And I second the baking rack so that they cool faster!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »
Entenmanns sell a really good one.  I don't even bother competing.  ;)  (american version to your Millie's)

I find that chilling the cookie dough helps with the middle.  Butter I believe makes it spread faster so subbing for half helps also.

Also make sure you are measuring precisely the baking soda/powder.

But the most help is is the chilling of the dough, placing it in the middle of the oven and taking it out a minute or two before.  Letting it cool 2-3 minutes and then transfer to a plate or cookie rack.

Good luck! 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:50:12 AM »
I mix half shortening and half butter/margarine to control the melting point (butter has a lower melting point than shortening) and bake the first batch of cookies 8 and a half minutes, then cool them.  If they aren't quite right - adjust the time by thirty to sixty seconds one way or the other............depending on how chewy you want them to be.

And I second the baking rack so that they cool faster!

This.  All butter gives a crisp cookie.

Namárië

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »
I always get the most perfect chocolate chip cookies when I chill the dough in the fridge for at least 4 hours. 24 hours is ideal. There's some science behind why, but I forget the specifics. They end up cripsy on the outside, soft on the inside, and a gorgeous golden-brown.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:05:36 PM by Namárië »
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

nayberry

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »
cheers folks :D 

soon as i get rid of my cold i'll be baking again :D

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
If you search on FoodNetwork.com for 'cakey chocolate chip cookies', you'll come up with a couple different variations on CCCs with different textures. For the super-cakey ones, they suggest using cake flour, rather than AP flour, so that the texture is finer. I've never had a Millie's cookie, so I'm not positive that's what you're looking for, but I hope that helps your search.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
Ever since I got a silpat for cookies they always come out exceptional. Highly recommend getting a Silpat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0054KV7IU/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1334171770&sr=8-1

nayberry

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »
Ever since I got a silpat for cookies they always come out exceptional. Highly recommend getting a Silpat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0054KV7IU/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1334171770&sr=8-1

ohhhhh i have them :)

Thanks Seraphia , i'll have a look,  Millies are like this
http://www.milliescookies.com/cookies-milk-choc.aspx

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
Oh they look like big version of the entemanns.  And you want dense and chewy cookies.  I rarely bake cookies (they come out great) because it's so easy to pick up a box of entemanns.  And plus I am lazy. lol

Post an update will you when you feel better. (and hope you do quickly!)

I just saw this:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1580654/millies-cookies-recipe

nayberry

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 06:03:06 AM »
Zilla - CRUD MONKEYS!!! thank you! :)  i'm gonna get fatter!!   ::)

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »
I love CCC. Different kinds. Cakey, Chewy, and Crispy. So I figured I would weigh in on this.

Alton Brown has an episode of good eats that explain the fat, flour, sugar and eggs can change the texture. It is called "Three Chips for Sister Marsha" Last I knew it was available on you tube.