Author Topic: So I'm going to Paris for a month...  (Read 3876 times)

kitty-cat

So I'm going to Paris for a month...
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:43:56 PM »
Paris, France not Paris, Texas at that too.

I got accepted to a study abroad program that my uni has. To say I'm excited is a massive understatement. I'll have classes Monday through Thursday, so I'll have 3 day weekends. Any ideas for what to do while there?

I was thinking of taking one weekend and being a total tourist and going to Disney Paris and staying on sight. I'm open to anything though.

And I do walk with a cane- how would that affect me getting around the city itself?

NE Florida

a

Re: So I'm going to Paris for a month...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »
Spend one weekend in London. It takes just over 2 hours on the train and it's quite cool to experience (you wouldn't see very much!) of the tunnel. If you shop around early you could get a ticket for as little as 30 single.

Spend one day in the countryside. Pick a small village/town that is not known for tourism and go there to see more of 'the real France'.

I would not recommend Disneyland though... to me that's a mass fabricated thing that could have been anywhere, and with limited time it would not be a priority of mine. Stay in the real world :-)

Carotte

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »
You should be fine with a cane in most places, maybe a bit less in old parts of the city.

Depending on how much you'll travel, how far from your uni you'll stay and if you like to walk or not, (and how long you'll stay)  I'd recommend looking into a public transport card. It can be way cheaper than buying tickets everytime.
You can PM me if you need help with that and I'll try to find what options you can have.

I don't really think Disneyland would be that great tho, unless you are looking for something familiar because I guess most disney parks are the same.

You can go to London as a suggested, but also in Belgium with a few hours of train, or even the south of France.

kitty-cat

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:03:33 PM »
Sorry to have started this and then abandon it for 2 months. I leave in exactly 3 weeks from today. As for some of the things brought up: Yeah, I don't think I'm going to do Disney, as part of the trip we get a 30 day transit card.

I checked online and I should be getting extra financial aid money so that might fund a trip elsewhere... I do know that I want to try to make just one service at Notre Dame - I know it's Catholic (I was raised Episcopal aka, lazy Catholic)- I just don't know if a head cover, like a scarf, should be worn or not.

I do know that I need to take an eathernet cable for the hotel room so I can have internet, and a converter plug. Would it be a bad idea to get one converter plug and then some US surge protectors so that I can actually plug things in (laptop, phone charger, ect)?

NE Florida

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »
I can't advise on the electrical in terms of laptop. I think my converter plug had that already on it but it would be a good idea to look into that.

A few things:

I heavily agree with going to Belgium!  The train ride is very short and it's just lovely there.  And you haven't had a good Belgian waffle until you've had one here!  YUM!!  Search for train tickets online and you might get some good deals for first class seats even.

In Paris, if you go to a club and order an alcoholic beverage, ask how much the drink costs before ordering it to avoid a big surprise.  Don't try to cross the street at the Arc de Triomphe! There is a wonderful underground tunnel that will get you across in a much safer fashion.  Learned that the hard way.  :P
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 03:39:47 PM »
You need a special adapter for your electronic equipment.  Make sure it is not just the standard adapter prople vlbring for razors etc.  You can get them at AAA.

Do you like wine?  If so, there Is a fabulous Sommelier restaurant near the Champs.  Six courses, each a diffetent wine where they describe the region to you.  You vhoose red or white when you make your reservation and they tailor the meal and wine pairings.  You cam also specify foods you do not like and they tailor the meal.  I indicated no seafood and we had a fab meal with wine for 65 euro each.  It is owned by a famous sommelier.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:43:36 PM »
When I went to the USA I took one power adapter and a powerboard, so I could charge/use multiple items at once.  Much less expensive than buying multiple adapters (especially if you're like me, an electronic gadget junkie).

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:35:48 PM »
Get in touch with the hostels. A lot of them have connections to inexpensive day trips, walking tours and stuff to do for a low cost. It's fun and I loved staying at the Three Ducks Inn when I visited.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 01:33:03 AM »
When I went to the USA I took one power adapter and a powerboard, so I could charge/use multiple items at once.  Much less expensive than buying multiple adapters (especially if you're like me, an electronic gadget junkie).
Us voltage is less than European.  It is crucial she use the proper adapter/converter.  Using the wring equipment will blow out her electronics bc the European voltage is so high.  A simple visit ti AAA will give the op the right info. 

o_gal

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »
I was thinking of taking one weekend and being a total tourist and going to Disney Paris and staying on sight. I'm open to anything though.

If you are an amusement park enthusiast, skip Disney and go to Parc Asterix. There is supposed to be a shuttle bus that leaves from the area around the Louvre, but we missed it and ended up taking the shuttle bus from the airport instead. The park is a very good themed amusement park all about the adventures of Asterix (and Obelix). The rides are great (think "Cedar Point" type rides instead of "Disney parks" style rides) and the whole place is a lot of fun.

kitty-cat

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 02:34:38 PM »

If you are an amusement park enthusiast, skip Disney and go to Parc Asterix. There is supposed to be a shuttle bus that leaves from the area around the Louvre, but we missed it and ended up taking the shuttle bus from the airport instead. The park is a very good themed amusement park all about the adventures of Asterix (and Obelix). The rides are great (think "Cedar Point" type rides instead of "Disney parks" style rides) and the whole place is a lot of fun.

I think I love you! Now to crash diet to loose enough weight to fit in the rides!

NE Florida

Louie_LI

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:48:26 PM »
If your electronics are relatively recent, they will be able to handle European voltage and all you need is a plug converter. Look at the charger for your phone, for example, and if it says 100-240V 50-60Htz, all you need is the flat-prong to round-prong adapter. If you need a power strip, you can buy one in Paris.

You don't need to cover your head at Notre Dame, just dress modestly (no tank tops, shorts, etc.).

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.