Author Topic: "Send them my email 'cause I don't like FB."  (Read 4299 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
"Send them my email 'cause I don't like FB."
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:39:35 PM »
I have a friend who doesn't like nor use FB.  (which is fine, no problem)

However (and here's the issue), he's constantly asking me to email old friends.  "Send them my email."  I did comply...once or twice.  But it's annoying. 

This morning I got a text with a list of people he wants contact information for.  My response was "get an FB account if you want to find them."  His response was "you are rude."   >:D

Okay, maybe I was rude but I'm tired of being the go-between.  The funny part is about a month ago, I got an FB PM from another friend saying "old friend wants you to email him. He has a question for you."  Ugh...so it's obvious I'm not the only one he is annoying.  Ha!

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: "Send them my email 'cause I don't like FB."
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »
"I'm not an owl!"   ;)

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »

However (and here's the issue), he's constantly asking me to email old friends.  "Send them my email."  I did comply...once or twice.  But it's annoying. 

This morning I got a text with a list of people he wants contact information for.  My response was "get an FB account if you want to find them."  His response was "you are rude."   >:D

Okay, maybe I was rude but I'm tired of being the go-between.  The funny part is about a month ago, I got an FB PM from another friend saying "old friend wants you to email him. He has a question for you."  Ugh...so it's obvious I'm not the only one he is annoying.  Ha!

I'm so confused by this.  He has a way to contact you, but would rather ask another person to ask you to contact him?

This doesn't even sound like it's about finding a way to contact people, it sounds like he's on some kind of power trip.

I'd just tell him, as gently as possible, that you are not his address book and that he needs to find a better way to keep track of his friends' contact information.

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »
send him an invoice for secretarial services? 

Reika

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »
I don't think you were rude, I think you were perfectly justified in your response. I can see asking once or twice if you have contact information for someone. But constantly asking? And texting a list? He's on his own.

Though I do like the "I'm not an owl" response too. ;)

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
"I'm not an owl!"   ;)

Perfect!  If he asks again, that shall be my response.   ;)

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »

I'm so confused by this.  He has a way to contact you, but would rather ask another person to ask you to contact him?

This doesn't even sound like it's about finding a way to contact people, it sounds like he's on some kind of power trip..

Yeah, that made me roll my eyes too.  Not sure if it's a control thing...hmmm, something to think about.  For now, I tend to think he's just lazy and it's easier for him to say "you find out for me" than to go and find out for himself.  KWIM?

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 05:25:07 PM »

This doesn't even sound like it's about finding a way to contact people, it sounds like he's on some kind of power trip..

Yeah, that made me roll my eyes too.  Not sure if it's a control thing...hmmm, something to think about.  For now, I tend to think he's just lazy and it's easier for him to say "you find out for me" than to go and find out for himself.  KWIM?

"dude, i ain't your wife or your mother.  do it your own lazy self."

Teenyweeny

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 08:28:23 AM »
The really stupid thing is, that if he wanted, he could totally use FB just as a email type service.

He could simply friend the people he wants, make himself unfriendable by anybody else, make himself unfindable, and lock down his setting so can't be tagged in pictures or whatever.

In short, if he customised his profile adequately, he could use FB exactly for what he wants and nothing more. If it's that he objects to using FB at all (because he doesn't like the company or whatever), then it's pretty funny that he asks you to use it in a way that benefits him. It's sort of like saying, "I'm a vegetarian, but if you're buying, I'll have the steak.  >:D"

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »

The reason you're frustrated is because your friend wants the benefits of Facebook (being easily able to find and contact people), but wants you to do all the work for him.

I'd tell him that you don't mind the occasional FB message to pass along, but that it takes a lot of time and effort to do this for a whole lot of people. If he really wants contact information from a lot of people, he has to find his own way to do it.

If he answers that he can't do that without Facebook, the obvious response is "Yeah, that's why people like it."

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »
The reason you're frustrated is because your friend wants the benefits of Facebook (being easily able to find and contact people), but wants you to do all the work for him.

Yep.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 11:31:10 AM »
The really stupid thing is, that if he wanted, he could totally use FB just as a email type service.

He could simply friend the people he wants, make himself unfriendable by anybody else, make himself unfindable, and lock down his setting so can't be tagged in pictures or whatever.

In short, if he customised his profile adequately, he could use FB exactly for what he wants and nothing more. If it's that he objects to using FB at all (because he doesn't like the company or whatever), then it's pretty funny that he asks you to use it in a way that benefits him. It's sort of like saying, "I'm a vegetarian, but if you're buying, I'll have the steak.  >:D"

POD.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »
I feel Dumb right now.

What's the 'Owl' joke ?

Please  :-[

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 01:14:54 PM »
I feel Dumb right now.

What's the 'Owl' joke ?

Please  :-[

It's from Harry Potter. Hermione is upset that she is running interference between Harry and Ron when they're mad, and she says, "I'm not an owl!", when owls are the main way to get mail in the magical world.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter