Author Topic: Is Mexican food popular outside North America?  (Read 7970 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Is Mexican food popular outside North America?
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2013, 03:00:25 AM »
About 15 years ago we hosted a young man who was visiting from Germany.  We asked if he had ever had Mexican food and he answered that he had - Taco Bell.  We took him someplace a bit more authentic.

I know many people who seem to think Taco Bell is Mexican food, all of them from the states. Don't get me wrong, I like my Taco Bell, but if I want Mexican food I'm going to that shady whole in the wall place down the street where my friends make me order because they can't understand the server most of the time. Wonderful food. If I want a taco for a dollar, I'll head to Taco Bell.

This whole thread is just making me think of a Bowling for Soup song "Come back to Texas" which is about a girl leaving her boyfriend for another guy and running off to Ohio and one of the lines is "The Mexican food sucks north of here anyways", I laugh and laugh. My Ohio buddy tells me Ohio does have lousy Mexican food. I've never been to Ohio and I have no opinion on any of their food.

Depends on where you are. There is a Mexican place down the street from where i live that is pretty good.

Snooks

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
We've got a really good Mexican place in the city where I live, you wouldn't go out for dinner there because it's really just a service counter and a bench to eat at.  They've just started a delivery service which means it's now even more tempting because I don't even have to get off the couch!

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »
I'm going to say no, because outside of Mexico and New Mexico the critical ingredient of chili pepper is relatively hard to find  ;D  I mean seriously, you go up to Colorado and the think green chili involves bell peppers  :P

I would like to dispel this notion. Maybe it is true within the USA

I'm afraid it's not necessarily even true in the USA.  Maybe 20-30 years ago, but nowadays even I, in a small midwestern urban area, can go to several of my local grocery stores and find most kinds of fresh or dried chilis I might want to use.

Louie_LI

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2013, 09:54:06 AM »
There are a couple of Mexican places- but how authentic they are, I wouldn't like to say...

I do have a Mexican colleague (please note that this is very unusual in the UK) who has terrible problems getting decent ingredients- she either has to bring it over from Mexico or go to another city nearly three hours away.

Has she tried ordering on line? This place has a good reputation:
http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/home.php