Author Topic: What to do when you are warned by your malware that a posted link is unsafe?  (Read 2694 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Mods,
I recently went to a link in a post and was warned by my malware that it was unsafe.  It seemed pretty specific about it and not a general warning. 
So, my question is, when this happens should we:
1.  Notify the mods?
2.  Warn the others  reading the thread so they don't go there, too?
3.  Message the poster?
4.  Ignore it.
5.  Do all or some of the above?.

I notified the mods, but maybe should have done something else.

Thank you.

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

LadyL

I think a heads up in a comment on the post is probably fine. It's not the OPs fault their link may be wonky (unless the OP is a troll of some sort).

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Mods,
I recently went to a link in a post and was warned by my malware that it was unsafe.  It seemed pretty specific about it and not a general warning. 
1.  Notify the mods?
3.  Message the poster?

Thank you.

Don't ever ignore it.   Contact mods immediately.  This is the kind of thing that creates drama when people claim to have gotten malware from the site or their malware alerts are going off.   Thousands of legitimate sites are hacked and used to deliver malware every year so even links to a "good" site may be wonky and in need of being removed from the post.

FYI,  Ehell is now registered with a malware security company and the entire site gets scanned 4 times a day for malware on the server.  Along with Google and our own IT guy, this company never found malware on the server during the last hullabaloo in December. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
I think a heads up in a comment on the post is probably fine. It's not the OPs fault their link may be wonky (unless the OP is a troll of some sort).
I didn't think the poster had any fault in it, at all.  I know you can get these things anywhere.  I opted to report it to the mods in case there were a problem because it seemed they should know abut it just in case there were a problem. 
My putting a message on the thread could serve to make people wary of the OP's posts in the future.  It seemed that notifying the mods was the way to go and to stop any extreme concern by other readers.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Mods,
1.  Notify the mods?
3.  Message the poster?

Thank you.

Don't ever ignore it.   Contact mods immediately.  This is the kind of thing that creates drama when people claim to have gotten malware from the site or their malware alerts are going off.   Thousands of legitimate sites are hacked and used to deliver malware every year so even links to a "good" site may be wonky and in need of being removed from the post.

FYI,  Ehell is now registered with a malware security company and the entire site gets scanned 4 times a day for malware on the server.  Along with Google and our own IT guy, this company never found malware on the server during the last hullabaloo in December.
Thanks for the response.  I thought that contacting the mods was the most direct way to deal with it.  I did check the forum rules and didn't find anything there about it (or maybe I missed it?).  I wonder if it could be added to the forum rules, that if you suspect  malware or a virus to notify the mods immediately.

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
Good to know.

I haven't had issues here, but on another site, I've let the OP know her link was bad.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I got a virus from a link here, once.  I had only clicked on two links that day so I did post in those two threads to let people know that I'd gotten a virus and I didn't know from which link (listing both in each post).  When another poster notified me that she'd gotten a virus from one of the same links, I reported it to the mods and asked to have that thread closed.  Then I posted in the other thread and apologized to the OP, letting everyone know it was the other thread that was the problem.

I'm not sure I did the correct thing but nobody yelled at me.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario