Author Topic: How to deal with flaky people  (Read 13561 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: How to deal with flaky people
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 07:06:28 PM »
Thank you mrkitty for letting us know how it went.

I'm giving you big (((HUGS)))

I haven't heard anything from him since I emailed him right before I went to bed last night. But on his facebook page, he personally thanked everyone who helped out yesterday, specifically naming everyone who attended events on his behalf yesterday....except me.

I will be voting for the incumbent.

The bold above would have been the heart crushing, door slamming culmination of what sounds like an awful experience.

I do have to say, though, I am impressed that you went through with the whole ordeal from start to finish.

I probably would have cut and run when I was dealt my first insult (if I even got that far as to actually show up) simply because I don't have the stick-to-it-iveness that you have. I tend to run away to find my comfort hidy-hole. :-\

Anybody have any idea how to assert oneself without being selfish, pushy, rude or aggressive? How do you set up appropriate boundaries and enforce them? Oh, dear me, I don't even know where to begin...that's why I shut myself away at home ... I think I gave up trying to figure it out ... but I'm so terribly lonely. Does anybody know of any good books on the subject? Maybe I could start there?

You didn't shut yourself at home. You went out and put forth an astounding effort. You kept your mouth shut when you were livid and you got up in front of a bunch of strangers go give a speech! That alone shows strength and determination.

I think you're being too hard on yourself.

I give you major Kudos!

Oh, the volcano!!! That used to be me!

Hey, that's great advice....I'm going to try it. Thank so much. We'll see how I do...

Hugs right back to you!!!  ;D

Here's your chance! ;D

Since you are the strong and awesome person that you don't think you are, I think you should carry it one step further. I agree with jedikaiti -- you should e-mail the candidate and tell him exactly how you were treated. Just like you told us.

mrkitty

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »
Oh, thank you! You are so sweet, so kind! Danika and Jpcher, you don't know how much that means to me!

I just emailed the candidate - cut and pasted the story of what happened (with appropriate edits of course) and my mileage...we'll see what happens next. I'm not quite sure how it will turn out, but perhaps it might be a good idea to stand up for myself for once.

It feels so good to have this place to come to for support.

Many hugs for all of you. Thank you!  ;D
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »
Oh, thank you! You are so sweet, so kind! Danika and Jpcher, you don't know how much that means to me!

I just emailed the candidate - cut and pasted the story of what happened (with appropriate edits of course) and my mileage...we'll see what happens next. I'm not quite sure how it will turn out, but perhaps it might be a good idea to stand up for myself for once.

It feels so good to have this place to come to for support.

Many hugs for all of you. Thank you!  ;D

Good for you for emailing that!!!! And good for Jpcher for suggesting it. I didn't think of encouraging you to do that. At the very least, you got it off your chest. More hugs.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 09:45:20 PM »
If the candidate is worth anything they should make immediate reparations. Their behaviour was beyond disgusting. They don't deserve to be in politics if that's they way they behave towards their supporters.

Victoria

Yankeegal77

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
 :o

Um, wow. I'm...speechless. I guess I was lucky to work for and with better folks, and I really thought there were miscommunications among disorganized staff in this case.

mrkitty, thanks for the update. I'm so very, very sorry about the way you were treated. And I'm in the same boat as you with setting boundaries. I'm working through something like this right now myself. :)

((HUGS))

wyliefool

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »
Other than that, it went fine.

Like the old joke, 'Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?'

Also--an air horn? Really?? Was it a political event or a world cup soccer game?  ::)

mrkitty

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »
Other than that, it went fine.

Like the old joke, 'Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?'

Also--an air horn? Really?? Was it a political event or a world cup soccer game?  ::)

Seriously. I know, right?

I think I'm going to be a lot more careful in the future...I'll be sure to inquire about the use of air horns next time I'm asked to give a speech anywhere. I wonder what Toastmaster's policy is?  >:D
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »
If the candidate is worth anything they should make immediate reparations. Their behaviour was beyond disgusting. They don't deserve to be in politics if that's they way they behave towards their supporters.

The only thing this candidate did actively wrong was to forget to thank her on his Facebook page.