General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Taking time off work for medical reasons and a coworker complaining. Update 106!

<< < (2/26) > >>

DottyG:

--- Quote ---Ooooohhhh...I am furious on your behalf right now
--- End quote ---

This was my response to the story as well.

That Anime Chick:

--- Quote from: Firecat on April 13, 2012, 04:06:30 PM ---Ooooohhhh...I am furious on your behalf right now  >:( >:( >:(

--- End quote ---

I'll join in as well. Having had to deal with various health issues over the years, I really hate it when someone starts making a fuss about something and thinking that they know better than you do with your own body.

That being said, if you are genuinely concerned that she will kick up a fuss, it might be a good idea to start a paper trail with your boss and HR so that if/when she does start in when you get back, they'll know she might do something. Or if she starts saying things while you're out, they can try to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand.

And btw, not all cysts "go away". This is from personal experience as a teen.

MrTango:
snip...(for brevity)

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on April 13, 2012, 04:20:55 PM ---And I agree with reporting this woman further up the chain if she continues to harp on harass you.

--- End quote ---

I agree with your post, with one little edit.

O'Dell:

--- Quote from: SoCalVal on April 13, 2012, 04:03:23 PM ---Nope, not rude to be off due to medical reasons.  Inconvenient for the others?  Yes...but certainly not rude.

If your boss doesn't already know, I'd take this up with the boss to shut down any further complaints from her.  If your coworker continues to take it up with you, I wouldn't even bother discussing my condition, just tell her, "If you're so concerned, I suggest you take it up with boss or HR" then beandip her.  I wouldn't bring up her eight weeks off as it doesn't matter whether or not she had been off herself; you're still entitled to medical leave (and she sounds so special that it seems difficult to fathom she doesn't remember she was off eight weeks herself).

--- End quote ---

This is what I would do as well. Especially the bolded but I wouldn't bother with beandip. You are entitled to be a bit curt in response to this sort of comment.

Bales:
As far as being rude for taking care of your own health - heck no!  Please stop thinking that way.  Even without the background of you covering for her, the point is you are unable to work due to your current medical condition. 

You are kind to share those details, and now you may be realizing why some people don't - to avoid the judgement.  It's neither helpful nor appreciated and I'd be so tempted to respond to her comments with sarcasm and condescension... but to try to avoid that while still getting the point across, you could try this: 

"CW, I shared my private medical issues as a courtesy.  I need to ask you to refrain from commenting on what you think my capabilities are or should be and what my treatment plan should be.  You are not my physician.  If I continue to hear these comments, I will need to ask boss or HR to address that with you directly.  Thank you for respecting my wishes."

Good luck to you.  I hope your diagnosis turns out to be benign and you can recover quickly from the surgery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version