Author Topic: Taking time off work for medical reasons and a coworker complaining. Update 106!  (Read 49522 times)

ebrochu

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!

Cat Scan results are in, and so far, NO CANCER!

They still need to perform the surgery, and biopsy the mass, but there's no sign of cancer in ANYTHING. None in other organs, no free floating tumors, nothing in the surrounding nodes or bones.

YYYYAAAAHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And have my own personal caseworker, so I'm guaranteed to be able to get an answer asap!

I can finally relax! Surgery will be a breeze compared to how I've been feeling!

O'Dell

Excellent! So glad to hear it! :)
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

BeagleMommy

OP, glad to hear the positive results of the cat scan.

I had to deal with my Annoying Coworker who had the same attitude as yours when I was going for surgery on my shoulder last summer.  She actually asked if I was positive I needed three weeks off.  She's not my boss or our HR person, she was just annoyed that I was getting a lot of attention and well wishes.

My response to her was "I will be doing exactly what my doctors recommend."

ebrochu

Surgery has been booked for July 28th.  :o

It's not so bad. The next date available was way into September. And since I've been hurting still, my doc is going with the July date. And she's also got me into another Hospital, for a referral, because they have far better equipment, and would be better able to operate on someone of my Size.

She said that if I was accepted, I might be having a panniculectomy as well as the cyst removal. I'm losing the right ovary completely, no saving it. They won't really know if they have to do a complete hysterectomy until they're in there, so to speak. (meaning there's another cyst on the other ovary!  :P and if that one is too bad, then they'll have to take everything.

So prep time, and trying to stay destressed.

Yeeee

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Glad to hear that things are looking up!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

rashea

• Super Hero!
Deep breaths, and message me if you want my surgery tips.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
If you've never have abdominal surgery, here's my tip for how to sit up after one: Roll onto your side first, then you can push yourself up from the shoulder using the uppermost arm.

katiescarlett

If you've never have abdominal surgery, here's my tip for how to sit up after one: Roll onto your side first, then you can push yourself up from the shoulder using the uppermost arm.

This.  I am dealing with that right now.  My surgery was last Friday.  Getting out of bed would be a chore if I didn't do it this way.

zyrs

• spiffily male.

This.  I am dealing with that right now.  My surgery was last Friday.  Getting out of bed would be a chore if I didn't do it this way.

Sometimes holding a pillow carefully against the incision can help relieve the discomfort when yu are rolling over

ebrochu

I appreciate the abdominal surgery tips! I've never had ANYTHING done down there, so I know that trying to make sure I don't hurt myself after the surgery is going to be the thing that's going to stress me out the most.

The pain has been far worse the past few days, but nothing that would indicate it bursting or anything. I think that if that does happen before the surgery, I'll be on the floor, screaming.

My coverage needs to be extended again, but my insurance company is telling me that "people go back to work while waiting for surgery" Um, I can't. I can't do a single thing in my work. PLus, the pain was the reason I went off, and it's not gone away.  I can't lift, bend or walk fast. Nothing in my job description is doable. I've told her this, and I've asked my doc to send a letter again. I asked her 3 times to write me one while I was seeing her, and she didn't. I don't know why. This time, I had to cal her and ask again.

EmmaJ.

I second the pillow, it was my best friend after my hysterectomy.  I found a small "airline size" pillow and carried it everywhere.  It was very useful to press it against my incision if I had to cough or sneeze, and I would put it between me and the seatbelt when I was driven to the store.

Good luck, it all sounds very encouraging!

itsmeforever

I third the small pillow being held against the stomach. My 17 yr old DD gave me her mini monkey pillow pet and it was a life saver! Also, really try not to bend and twist, if possible. And listen to the dr. for after care directions.

Good luck!!

DoubleTrouble

One trick my MIL told me after my c-section was to slowly walk upstairs sideways while holding on to the banister. It doesn't work your abdominal muscles as much as facing forwards & by golly it worked!

Lynda_34

I know we're not supposed to give medical advice on this site, however, I have to say as a post operative nurse for many years, all the incision advice is excellent.

The other day I was taking care of a woman who had a long abdominal incision and she started to cough.  I automatically grabbed the pillow and pressed it over the incision while she was trying to get me to stop.  I held it there and said, "Ok, now cough."  She did and looked up in amazement.  For the rest of the shift every  time I walked past her room she was sitting there with the pillow across her abdomen.

Good luck with your surgery and try and get your MD to see that because of the pain this is not really elective and see if they can schedule it sooner.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
One tip if your insurance is requiring a letter: do a memo to your doctor,  give it to her in writing so she can dictate it and get it done. Be specific with address, what activities you cannot do or are prohibited to do, and reason why surgery will be at that date at that hospital.