Author Topic: "But you weren't home": A Christmas Doozy.  (Read 17820 times)

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: "But you weren't home": A Christmas Doozy.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 04:12:06 AM »
One of the all time best typos ever  :P
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Iris

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »
Aww, come on, you're pulling our legs!

Nobody's that entitled!

Nobody's that special a snowflake!  Nobody could possibly be THAT CLUELESS!

Seriously, this is an urban legend, right?  Right? 

Come on, my faith in humanity demands you confess that this isn't real and such people do not exist.  Seriously.

Pweese?

If it's any comfort, there is a house in my brother's suburb that does a very similar thing. My children look forward to visiting it every Christmas. In all the times I have been there I have never witnessed behaviour like this. Cars are parked and driven carefully and appropriately, people are very patient at waiting their turn, and neighbours use it as a get together. The niceness of the crowds is part of the experience.

So while people like this may exist, they are still very much the minority, thankfully.

Also,

One of the all time best typos ever  :P

This.  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

JacklynHyde

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »
I grew up next door to one of those houses.  They even had people come out on the front lawn every hour on the hour to give out candy canes to the kids while performing a dance routine.  It should've been a lovely family event, but between the number of times our driveway was parked in as well as the volume of beer cans on our sidewalk and front yard, it was a relief when they moved.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
Aww, come on, you're pulling our legs!

Nobody's that entitled!

Nobody's that special a snowflake!  Nobody could possibly be THAT CLUELESS!

Seriously, this is an urban legend, right?  Right? 

Come on, my faith in humanity demands you confess that this isn't real and such people do not exist.  Seriously.

Pweese?

I have no doubt this is real. It goes along with folks who tie their horse to my friends tree's and let me "fertilize" the grass and eat the lawn. and the others who think nothing of breaking into the neighbor's yard to avail themselves of the hottub and pool.  Entitlement knows no bounds these days.
I hope you meant "them" there  ;).

I am a Christian, we decorate for Christmas, and I would be totally ticked at a neighborhood house like that!

As for people using our property, there was the a house across the street that frequently had garage sales - more like a flea market in my mind - and once I was ready to leave for work and a customer was parked in my driveway! At our campsite, people cut through our lawn while we were having a family reunion when there was quite a nice path around us, and once when we got out there for the weekend, they  had taken our picnic table, which we needed right away. Not to mention, neighbors sneaking into my MIL's neighbors' pool when pool owners were gone and the gate was locked. Our neighbors used to get into our garage and borrow tools, then commented when we started locking the garage, and used our basketball hoop when we told them not to. (That last I almost understand, attractive and handy and seemingly inocuous - until one might get hurt and decide to litigate!)

Yes, there are people like that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:52:02 AM by Luci45 »

figee

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 12:30:27 AM »
This reminds me of a story my hairdresser told me.  He lives on property and used to put on a MASSIVE show at Christmas (just lights I think and the nearest neighbours were a long way away).  Anyhow, it became a yearly attraction with people queueing up to see it.  One year, he went out, came back and drove up to his drive.  The abuse he copped for 'queue-jumping' was incredible, and someone actually blocked his drive.  Hairdresser was told to 'wait his turn'.  He simply said: 'I live here!'.  He went inside and turned off the lights.  They haven't gone back up - the effort was just not worth it.

AtraBecca

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 12:25:39 PM »
They parked IN her driveway and set a camera in her FLOWER BEDS???  :o Who does that?!?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
This reminds me of a story my hairdresser told me.  He lives on property and used to put on a MASSIVE show at Christmas (just lights I think and the nearest neighbours were a long way away).  Anyhow, it became a yearly attraction with people queueing up to see it.  One year, he went out, came back and drove up to his drive.  The abuse he copped for 'queue-jumping' was incredible, and someone actually blocked his drive.  Hairdresser was told to 'wait his turn'.  He simply said: 'I live here!'.  He went inside and turned off the lights.  They haven't gone back up - the effort was just not worth it.

I read a similar story about a store advertising a really, really good sale - people lined up down the block and around the corner early so that they could get in before "all the good stuff" was gone.

Just before opening time, a little guy in a suit walked up to the front of the line - where he was loudly reprimanded for cutting in line and basically forced to the end of the line...........twice.  The third time, people started complaining about it being AFTER opening time and nobody was letting them in.

The little guy in the suit made a loud comment from the back of the line that if they didn't let him get to the door THIS TIME, he was going to go home instead of opening the store.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »
It sounds like Betty should invest in motion-activated sprinklers.  It wouldn't take a lot of effort to clear the snow off of the heads, and I bet that people wouldn't hang around her yard for very long.

Virg

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
We have a house in town that is fully decked out in Oz Style glory for both Halloween and Christmas.  It is a gorgeous sight, but, thankfully, it is no where near anyone else (at least, not to inconvenience the neighbors), on a 2 lane road so it's not like you can stop without completely killing traffic, the yard is fenced in, and PACT (Police and Community Together) and the police both sponsor, and patrol, it.

Which is how it should be done.  However...

(It really is a nifty display, though!  I mean, even playing Somewhre Over The Rainbow and with Dorothy and Toto and the Yellowbrick Road and... :D)

Arianoor

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »
There is a house in my city that does a complete decoration job including lights and moving parts for every.single.holiday.  Am I talking about Halloween, Christmas, AND Easter?  Why, yes, I am.  But, I am also talking about Valentine's Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, President's Day, Memorial Day . . . and on and on and on.  I am not exaggerating, btw!

I think that there are like two weeks a year when the house isn't decorated.  I've always thought it's fun and awesome.  But, after reading this thread, I feel for their neighbors!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »
I remember hearing Roy Rogers report in an interview that he & Dale Evans once woke up to find people sitting in their living room waiting for them to get up so they could meet them.  He said they made sure their door was locked every time for sure after that.

Jaw dropping rudeness !!!

Reason

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 03:32:42 PM »
I wonder how they would have reacted if someone had a picnic on their front lawn.

magicdomino

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »
They parked IN her driveway and set a camera in her FLOWER BEDS???  :o Who does that?!?

Christmas snowflakes.   ;)

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »
Who does that?

I have a SIL who thinks she's Ansel Adams & I can totally see her doing that.

She might as well have been a reporter or private detective as nosy as she is & her love of pictures.

Cymraes

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 10:58:26 AM »
I remember hearing Roy Rogers report in an interview that he & Dale Evans once woke up to find people sitting in their living room waiting for them to get up so they could meet them.  He said they made sure their door was locked every time for sure after that.

(I will try to avoid name dropping here, tempting though it is!)

When my husband and I were at theological college, our principal was a lovely chap who later became the top guy in the Church of England. However while he was still a mere bishop, he and his family lived in quite a historic house where they had a small appartment.

Mrs "Bishop" came into her kitchen one morning - hair in curlers, dressing gown etc - to make a cup of tea, only to find that her kitchen was full of tourists taking photographs. These intruders had ignored all the "Private - No Entry" signs. They refused to leave the appartment insisting that they had payed to see round the "palace" and fully intended to see everything, regardless of privacy etc.

Eileen rang security and then took tea in for her husband - but she made sure the bedroom door was locked firmly, which was just as well as these people made several attempts to open it before the security team arrived!
Mae'r e bost hwn ac unrhyw atodiad iddo yn gyfrinachol ac fe'I bwriedir ar gyfer y sawl a enwir arno yn unig. Os yw wedi eich cyrraedd trwy gamgymeriad ni ellwch ei gopio, ei ddosbarthu na'i ddangos i unrhyw un arall a dylech gysylltu gyda yr awdur ar unwaith.