Author Topic: Phone Issues  (Read 1429 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Phone Issues
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:45:09 PM »
I had my mobile phone stolen on Friday. I cancelled the SIM etc, so no foul there.

Spoke to provider today, and was told I could get a new update phone on DF's number, as he is due an update. Basically, it's a free phone on a contract (he's on a contract same as me, different number but on my account as I pay the bills, I was the only one of the two of us able to get a contract at that time). Anyway. He's never been interested in an "all singing, all dancing" phone, he just wants a phone that he can call people on.  So I asked, just out of curiosity, whether we can have the upgrade as just a handset, I get a new SIM card with my number on, DF keeps same number, same phone? I was told yeah, legal way of playing the system. Basically I don't have to claim on Insurance, my premiums don't go up. Idk, it all seems a bit dishonest to me. Especially when a co worker said I could claim phone back on Insurance and flog it!?! That never crossed my mind and that in my book is kind of fraud. Apparently not in some people's circles.

I told the providers I can call them back after speaking to DF tonight. The prospect seems tempting to me for the reasons above, I just would not want folks to think I was "spinning" the system in any way.   :( And I wouldn't want to hurt DF if he did decide he wanted a better phone. The agent said that if DF wants to keep the new phone I could claim on the old one, but I am just like  ??? what?! I have to call my bank back tomorrow re Insurance (it's part of my bank package) or I won't get a new one on Insurance.

I am really confused on this. Help!?

I don't really understand this sort of stuff and I don't want to in any way hurt or upset anyone, or get accused of doing anything remotely illegal. I get what the agent is saying, yeah, we're both on contracts and we're both due regular upgrades, so no skin off his nose how we want to do things. But my head is so spinning from my first day back at work, and I really don't want to think about that so I said I will call back tomorrow.  ::)
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Ticia

• Administrator
Re: Phone Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:04:09 PM »
This is a legal matter, and not etiquette. Best of luck figuring this out, Hollanda, but it is beyond the scope of an etiquette forum.
Utah