Author Topic: Turducken . . . Argh! OP here #34 . . . UPDATE Pg.4 #56  (Read 5986 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Turducken . . . Argh! OP here #34 . . . UPDATE Pg.4 #56
« on: April 17, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »
(I thought about posting this in the "Recipe Requests" topic, but I'm not really asking for a recipe. Or maybe it belongs in "Entertaining and Hospitality." :-\ My apologies if I posted in the wrong topic.)

DD#2 wants to have Turducken for her HS graduation party meal. For real? :o

Before I tell her no way! . . . I thought I'd post here and ask:

Has anyone actually eaten turducken? Is it good?

It seems kinda weird to me, I have absolutely no desire to try it. But I told DD#2 that it's her party and she gets to plan the menu. So I'm willing to be adventurous. (What am I getting myself into? Argh!)

Has anyone actually prepared a turducken? How did it turn out? Any tips?

I have googled and found recipes, they all seem pretty similar. I also found places where I can order the prepared turducken, which I might do instead. Any tips on where to buy from?

Something like turducken actually does fit into the planning stages of her party . . . as in we could prepare it the previous day then put the darned thing in the roaster before we go to her graduation. It would be done and ready to serve by the time we get home, when guests will start to arrive. It's also big enough to serve all the guests as a main dish.

On a hot summer afternoon, as a guest, would this be something that you would like to eat at a back-yard party?

Mostly, I want to hear your turducken stories . . . please post any turducken thoughts you might have.

Thanks! ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:45:35 PM by jpcher »

kitkatswing

Re: Turducken . . . Argh!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
I have to ask, what is turducken ???????

AustenFan

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »
A chicken stuffed inside a duck stuffed inside a turkey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

I've always wanted to try it, but never have. Sorry, OP.

Kaypeep

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:45:18 PM »
I've never had one, but my advice is to get one and do a trial run before the dinner, so that you
1.  know how to cook it properly
2. taste it and know that you will like it

I know you can order them online, but you may want to contact some local butchers to see if they will make you one fresh.

buvezdevin

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
I have had turducken, and on comparing notes with a few (three) other folks i know who tried it on different occasions, our shared view was "nice, not an amazingly delicious dish, but a mildly noteworthy experience to have tried it."

I do understand its appeal as a set piece, and it sounds like that may be its appeal to your daughter for her celebration. 

That said, while I enjoy trying new challenges in cooking, I would order a prepared turducken rather than attempt assembly myself.  The challenge of deboning three separate fowls then combining them would not fit a category, for me, of repeat likely endeavors.

There is a market near me which I know prepares and ships them.  I have previously bought from them a different item they offer, a fully boned whole chicken stuffed with one of three stuffings on offer - it was delectable, have had more than once, and simple to cook and serve.  The turducken, due to sheer volume, may be a bit more tricky to cook completely without drying, but I have not tried.

If you are interested in a market shipping turducken prepared for cooking, beyond those you may have already found, please PM me.

Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:46:31 PM »
I clicked this because I was curious what on earth a turducken could be.  I made a wild guess in my head but thought, "Nah, it couldn't be that"... and then I googled it...

O.M.G, my wild guess was correct!  Seriously?  This is a meal?  Someone invented this?

I'm not sure I'd really enjoy this but I'd eat it if offered.  Then again, I am not a meat on meat kind of gal.  I don't even understand the idea of bacon on a burger.  ???
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »
I don't even understand the idea of bacon on a burger.  ???
Honest, I'm not stalking you MacNut; We just hang out in the same threads. >:D

I haven't tried a turducken either, but I would eat it if served and cook it if someone gave me one.

I had to respond to your query as to why put "bacon on a burger."  To quote my DH, "everything is better with bacon."  If a burger is good, putting bacon on it makes it better.  I made mock-Cuban sandwiches using bacon instead of ham.  It can only get better with bacon.

Maybe they should stuff the turducken with bacon ... ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

AustenFan

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 08:58:45 PM »
I have heard of turkey wrapped with bacon... or you could just cut out the middle man and eat 20lbs worth of bacon.  >:D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
Baturduckin?!

Sebastienne

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 09:16:02 PM »
I did actually make a turducken once--aided immeasurably by our fabulous butcher who deboned the birds--purely out of curiosity.  Without said deboning, it would have been virtually impossible.  It was still incredibly time-consuming, and ratio of time spent to deliciousness was really disappointing.

That said, I've seen frozen turduckens available at some higher-end markets (Whole Foods probably has them).  They're not cheap, but neither are the ingredients for the from-scratch version.  If your daughter wants one, I'd really recommend going that route.  And I applaud her adventurousness!

buvezdevin

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:16:12 PM »
Now, having enjoyed the cheesy 60's show, and subsequent movies with different tones all involving Batman - Dotty G's rebranding has appeal to me.  As does bacon.  I wouldn't eat bacon in 20 pound quantities, but let's not overlook the opportunity jpcher has here:  those of you who like the turducken, behold - the bat-turducken.

Admittedly, the possible confusion as to whether a bat was included in the turkey duck chicken amalgamation could be off putting, but a chance to include bacon, *and* reference Batman? 

Awesome.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:21:24 PM »
I don't even understand the idea of bacon on a burger.  ???
Honest, I'm not stalking you MacNut; We just hang out in the same threads. >:D

I haven't tried a turducken either, but I would eat it if served and cook it if someone gave me one.

I had to respond to your query as to why put "bacon on a burger."  To quote my DH, "everything is better with bacon."  If a burger is good, putting bacon on it makes it better.  I made mock-Cuban sandwiches using bacon instead of ham.  It can only get better with bacon.

Maybe they should stuff the turducken with bacon ... ;D

No worries.  I'm really not that observant to notice any stalking on threads.  LOL.  ;D

Your DH must love Epic Mealtime!
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 09:28:34 PM »
If you do Turducken, I recommend Hebert's. Even with shipping, it's not too pricey. There are 2 websites, both are good.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »
Turducken is wonderful...I've had it several times and it's always a great meal! I would never try to make one; far to complicated for me. The place to buy it is Heberts Specialty Meats in New Orleans. One word of advice, though; invite lots of people to the party. One turducken goes a looong way!

www.hebertsmeats.com

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

magician5

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »
I was reading a favorite "foodie" forum last night and I ran across a discussion in which one writer said he'd had a really bad turducken and another said that there were really good ones. I think the secret might be "you get what you pay for".

Why not add some time-tested side dishes, like medieval England's "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie"?
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.