Author Topic: Lamb . . . Any recipes?  (Read 1082 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Lamb . . . Any recipes?
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:40:49 PM »
I was looking for something different to do this year for Easter dinner. I saw, at my grocery store butcher, a lamb rib cut . . . it had about 8 bones sticking out with about 2-3 inches of meat at the end of each bone (all connected).

How would you prepare something like this?

(The only time I've ever done lamb was when LDH asked the butcher to cut some steak slices off of a leg-o-lamb and then we grilled it (absolutely delicious!) or put little medallions of lamb under the broiler.)

buvezdevin

Re: Lamb . . . Any recipes?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »
Sounds like rack of lamb, yum!  I have used the recipe at this link several times, though you may want to check some others, it is actually pretty simple to do, and presents so nicely.  There is not much meat per rib generally, so plan on at least one rack (8 ribs) for every three diners, or per two diners if big appetites.  I like to pair it with mashed parsnips, and another side of the moment.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Rack-of-Lamb-with-Garlic-and-Herbs-1222178
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »

You can also take the rack of lamb and cut it into individual segments. I like marinating them in olive oil, garlic and rosemary, and then grilling them to medium. The bone at the end acts like a handle, and you can pick them up and eat them.

I might pair that with a fresh garden salad with a vinagrette dressing, roast asparagus spears dressed with olive oil, salt, lemon zest, chili flakes and shaved parmesan, and good quality fresh bread.

If I were in the mood for an Italian style meal, I'd start with potato gnocchi with simple tomato sauce as a first course, the grilled lamb and the roast asparagus as the second course, and an arugula salad dressed with white wine vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper as the third course, and something creamy and cold for dessert.

Hmmm, I think I may have decided on my Easter menu...

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »
This is one of my favorite ways to prepare rack of lamb.  I like to serve with pommes anna and roasted asparagus for a great spring meal.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mustard-and-Herb-Crusted-Rack-of-Lamb-108493

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 06:09:57 PM »
Okay, now I'm really hungry.

Along with the recipes, thanks for the idea of roasted asparagus!  ;D

pame -- I had to look up pommes anna. That, too, sounds like a winner! ;D

You people are awesome!

sweetonsno

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »
It's a rack of lamb! If you have the double-thick, try this: http://whatscookingamerica.net/LambCoffee.htm

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »
New question:

From the recipe that buvezdevin posted:

"2 (8-rib) frenched racks of lamb (each rack 1 1/2 lb), trimmed of all but a thin layer of fat"

I looked up "frenched" on google . . . meaning the the rack is trimmed of fat with cleaned bones sticking out.

So I went to my happy grocery store butcher and they only had 1 "frenched" rack left. I asked if they had any others and he showed me what was on the pre-packaged shelf. There was one package of "un-frenched" for twice the price. It was sealed in a white plastic wrap so I couldn't get a good look at the meat vs. fat factor.

THEN! When I came home I came back to this thread and looked at sweetonsno's post . . . Wowza, that dish looks yummy.

Maybe I should have paid twice the price . . .

buvezdevin

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 08:58:39 PM »
Ooooohhhh, the recipe sweetonsno posted looks and sounds wonderful (note to self, lamb next week, and pommes Anna, yesssssss).

OP, however you prepare your own first home-cooked rack of lamb, I hope you love it!
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 01:06:27 PM »
Dinner was a delicious success!

I used buvezdevin's recipe and the one rack was just fine for the 3 of us.

Instead of potatoes we made stuffed portebellas (stuffed with artichoke and spinach topped with parmasean) and a wonderful tossed salad.

Thanks, all for your help! ;D

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 01:17:41 PM »
Dinner was a delicious success!

I used buvezdevin's recipe and the one rack was just fine for the 3 of us.

Instead of potatoes we made stuffed portebellas (stuffed with artichoke and spinach topped with parmasean) and a wonderful tossed salad.

Thanks, all for your help! ;D

Sooo jealous!  :P My family's having lamb tonight for dinner, but no mushrooms.  :(
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

buvezdevin

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 09:24:24 PM »
Coming back to mention we tried sweetonso's recipe tonight, didn't go double thick but used the marinade and made the sauce with a frenched rack of lamb cooked in oven rather than the grill (too windy tonight to grill here).  Amazingly good.  We have enough sauce left that I'm planning a small lamb based meatloaf for Tuesday, to use the rest of the really scrumptious sauce.
Mark Twain