Author Topic: Italian Restaurants, Bread, Oil, and ?  (Read 4405 times)

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Italian Restaurants, Bread, Oil, and ?
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »
^Considering I put parmesan on everything from popcorn to zucchini, I can do that!

Also, in line with what VorPal Bunny, I'm going to try this with chicken this weekend and I'll report back.  Based on another thread in here, I've become a huge fan recently of cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot.  It couldn't be easier and the meat just falls off the carcass.  But my favorite part is the carrots, onion and celery I put on the bottom.  I can't imagine how good they'd be with chicken droppings and balsamic.  They're not healthy eaten this way -- just good.

Mmmmmm...Dark Boyfriend and I just bought a roast.  I told him about the vinegar in it and I swear I saw drool.  I will be making it tomorrow night for sure, now; we're adding red potatoes, too.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2012, 10:42:25 AM »
Balsamic vinegar is wonderful stuff and yes, there are all levels as there are all levels of wine.  The good stuff has an odd but delightful balance between sour and sweet. 

We can't afford the really wonderful types but there are places in the neighborhood that used to offer balsamic vinegar tastings. 

Mental Magpie

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »
Balsamic vinegar is wonderful stuff and yes, there are all levels as there are all levels of wine.  The good stuff has an odd but delightful balance between sour and sweet. 

We can't afford the really wonderful types but there are places in the neighborhood that used to offer balsamic vinegar tastings.

I want to live there!  I got my basalmic from Wal-Mart, 'nough said  ;D.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

greencat

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:03 PM »
Be careful cooking poultry with dark colored wines and vinegars.  Dontaskmeaboutthepurpleturkey.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:51 PM »
I'd eat purple turkey :D  Wouldn't faze me a bit.

I just cooked the roast with 2/3 water and 1/3 balsamic vinegar.  There really wasn't much of a taste of vinegar (except in the potatoes and onions...oh the onions were soooo good and the potatoes so sweet); I think I'll have to fiddle with the amounts a bit.  Then again, I think I have a 6 quart crock pot, not the recommended 2-4.  I'll have to check.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2012, 12:27:12 AM »
That could be it. You really want the beef good and coated in the balsamic. I've had good success giving it a quick marinade (maybe while chopping the veg?) prior to throwing it in the crock pot.

And I've eaten purple poultry...it was very tasty, if a little strange to look at :)
Utah

Mental Magpie

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2012, 01:15:05 AM »
My culinary skills have already improved tenfold with the acquisition of a crock pot; I feel confident enough to fiddle with amounts now.

Thanks, VorpalBunny, I'll give that a try.  Now that I'm thinking about it, because I know baking changes, do crock pot times change with altitude?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2012, 05:18:58 PM »
^Considering I put parmesan on everything from popcorn to zucchini, I can do that!

Also, in line with what VorPal Bunny, I'm going to try this with chicken this weekend and I'll report back.  Based on another thread in here, I've become a huge fan recently of cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot.  It couldn't be easier and the meat just falls off the carcass.  But my favorite part is the carrots, onion and celery I put on the bottom.  I can't imagine how good they'd be with chicken droppings and balsamic.  They're not healthy eaten this way -- just good.

I think chicken droppings are something a little different, and are not normally used in gourmet dishes.  >:D

Drippings, perhaps?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Mental Magpie

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »
Hahahaha, I didn't even notice...

Mikayla

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »
Be careful cooking poultry with dark colored wines and vinegars.  Dontaskmeaboutthepurpleturkey.

Haha!

I'm really glad I read this.  The poultry color is already a little reddish in spots from cooking it this way - not because it isn't done, but it falls off so close to the bone it can pick up those colors.  I think I'll reign in my creativity on that one.